Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
R4 or DSTT??
It seems like R4 is running out-of-stock everywhere and some are hiking up the price...another thing is i found out dat R4's official site was down til now, any disadvantages??
But then, R4 user interface is better compared to DSTT when it comes to sorting out games etc...
plz give yr opinion, thx

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a case I narrowed down to 3 different options but I also need store advice cause all the stores I see either do not have all the options I need or have the things I want out of stock.

Here are my needs:

-NDS games of course
-GBA support
-Microsd good enough but wouldn't mind future proofing with sdhc
-Don't need or care about rumble
-Slot 2 should be NDS Lite if possible.
-Battery life as good as possible
-It has to be under us $70 including shipping, other than that as high as needed
-I prefer Linux as my main OS so i am looking into something that autopatches or does not need to patch at all to avoid having to work with windows-based tools. Alternative if the tools have available Linux tools it might work, but I prefer just regular roms working on fat16 or fat32
-Sold on a Store based on America or that ships to the US relatively fast ( 5-8 days tops )

The options I have been looking at are:
-M3DS Real bundle
-DSTT + EWIN expansion ( whenever its the official dstt one or the one labeled ewin )
-R4DS + EWIN expansion

I like the EWIN expansion as a solution cause it autopatches and with those options I selected I would only need a clean room transfered. Problem is that M3DS real on all the recommended stores either do not include the gba expansion or put the price over my price range once shipping its included. R4DS is usually readily available but most people only bundle it with the EZ 3-1 expansion which its not what I want ( needs patching and patching tools, probably windows tools ) DSTT sounds great but I find it hard to find a place that sells it along with a GBA expansion.

I know it seems complicated but the most important things to me are gba support, price ( under 70 as mentioned ) and no tools required or Linux tools. Goes without saying that I want a store that I can trust and that it needs to take paypal of course.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're in the US, I've had good luck with Realhotstuff.com 2 orders, 2d shipping both time for the USPS shipping option. The initial pricing on RHS may be a little higher, but by the time you add in shipping charges v. a supposedly cheaper retailer, RHS usually comes out cheapest total cost, and believe me, in the US, the $6 USPS shipping WILL arrive in 1-2d. 1d near NJ, 2d everywhere else except Alaska/Hawaii...

Modchipcentral.com is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've never ordered from them.

Dealextreme.com is supposedly ok(never ordered from them either), but delivery will take a LONG time.

bamboogaming.com is, agaib, supposed to be good, but shipment to the US will be slow again(from China like Dealextreme), but it is one of the few places to have carts like the Acekard RPG... IIRC they also don't ship the packaging of your items, just the cart and whatever else came in the package.
RHS is great. I've had three orders (all usps shipped) that took 4 days to get. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I just don't want people to get their hopes up for 2 day arrivals. I live in northern VA, btw. So I'm relatively close to NJ. But RHS is still my choice for carts.
DX has always taken 14 days from the time I get a tracking number. Now how long it takes them to give me a tracking number varies a lot (2-21 days). If you're not in a rush and the savings is important its ok. I have had a couple of messed up orders, but if you can relate to them what the problem is (get past the language barrier), usually they will make it right.
I did have to get my RPG from bamboogaming.com. I chose the express shipping (usps guy delivered DHL package on a sunday). That took 7 days exactly. Their site does say they don't ship the packaging for stuff. But they do for the RPG.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
minionlinestore.com has a bundle of DSTT + EWIN expansion. But I found out realhotstuff restocked the m3real bundle so I ordered that.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
R4 or DSTT??
It seems like R4 is running out-of-stock everywhere and some are hiking up the price...another thing is i found out dat R4's official site was down til now, any disadvantages??
But then, R4 user interface is better compared to DSTT when it comes to sorting out games etc...
plz give yr opinion, thx
Plz use the format to tell your criteria, I'll be able to help you a lot more.

Anyways, the r4 does have some disadvantages, which are mainly in the new features. It lacks SDHC support and Real Time Save, that's all I know of. The r4 user interface is pretty good at sorting out games, but it isn't touch screen. You can skip past 10 games or so I think on the r4 interface by pressing left/right, so it doesn't take forever to find your games.

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
R4 or DSTT??
plz give yr opinion, thx

Anyways, the r4 does have some disadvantages, which are mainly in the new features. It lacks SDHC support and Real Time Save, that's all I know of. The r4 user interface is pretty good at sorting out games, but it isn't touch screen. You can skip past 10 games or so I think on the r4 interface by pressing left/right, so it doesn't take forever to find your games.

Use?Games, homebrew and once in a while web surfing
Price Range?

oldskool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? DS, GBA, with SNES/NES emulation capabilities being an added bonus
Price Range? < $100
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Doesn't really matter to me, personally.
Other? It's a 'phat' DS.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Don't care

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
R4 or DSTT??
plz give yr opinion, thx

Use?Games, homebrew and once in a while web surfing
Price Range?

oldskool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? DS, GBA, with SNES/NES emulation capabilities being an added bonus
Price Range? < $100
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Doesn't really matter to me, personally.
Other? It's a 'phat' DS.

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Don't care

If you are sure you don't need the extra features such as microSDHC support and real time save, maybe check out 2gb f-card OR 1gb f-card. They are n-card clones but have a slot-1 reader, and the slot-1 reader has been reported to be much faster than the slot-2 reader. Then, since you have a phat, you need to buy a phat-sized ez flash 3-in-1, it's the only one GBA expansion pack that is phat sized. That comes with RAM too, which supposedly makes emulation better.
Out of curiosity, if I don't want it to support slot-2 GBA, does that expand my options? (For example, would I be able to get GBA flash carts to work in the DS for the GBA stuff, snesDS, etc.?)

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
huh? Yeah DS supports GBA flashcarts, but GBA carts all go in the slot-2. The slot-2 is the slot where you put all GBA commercial games and flashcarts that are GBA-sized or DS lite slot cover-sized.

BTW if you do want the newer features such as SDHC support and RTS, get a Cyclo DS evo

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use?
Primary: Hombrew media playback (OGG preferable for music, but MP3 OK; movies yes)
Secondary: Homebrew games, DS Roms
Tertiary: Emulated ROMs (SNES); GBA optional but interesting

Price Range?
$50-80

Slot 1/2? 1

Built in or expandable memory?
expandable

Special features?
Friendly touch-screen GUI, easy organization/navigation of media and ROMs

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
M3 Real, CycloDS, Acekart RPG

Other?
The extras (see below) are compelling in the full M3 package, but I'm not sure how much I'd use them. Rumble games aren't that common, and with SNES emu, I might not need to load any GBA Roms.

Support slot-2 GBA? optional but interesting
Support slot-2 rumble packs? optional but interesting
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? the most compelling of the 3 Slot-2 options

---

I've done a tonne of research on this site, but some of the reviews are out of date, and the comparison chart is certainly behind. So far the CycloDS seems to meet my needs from the pure cart perspective, but the Acekart's potential for growth (if any open source developers ever latch on) is interesting (plus, improved performance with some homebrew apps with the built-in memory). The M3 offers the sweetest bundle of stuff. If the CycloDS came as some sort of bundle with Slot-2 options I think it'd be a slam-dunk.

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, now to find cheap MicroSD cards
biggrin.gif

Is this a better deal? http://www.kickgaming.com/real-perfect-bundle-p-277.html

yup i think so. actually rumble is not really important but buying a "perfect bundle" is the best choice so far.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users