Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you decide on the eWin 2-in-1 or the EZ 3-in-1? Both are good, so you really can't go wrong either way. I think the eWin is pretty hard to get ahold of right now (psxboy.com is about the only place that normally carries it and they've been out for a couple of weeks now). You should be able to find the EZ 3-in-1 at dealextreme.com which is probably the best price you'll find (if you're willing to wait for their slow shipping).

-Bri

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want to look into replacing my R4 sometime soon and possibly passing it on to my little sister (I bought it before I was knowledgeable about flash carts-go figure) and I also have a friend who wants to buy a flash cart and I'm not sure which one to recommend but I know it's not the R4
tongue.gif

Use?DS, Homebrew, Ebooks,Text files, possibly GBA
Price Range?I'm not sure what the price ranges are for flash carts but I'm hoping not too expensive...
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable
Special features? Not that I can think of?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularNo, since I know nothing about the others yet XD
Other?I basically want something that has the capabilities of what my R4 already does and then some, preferably at a cheaper price.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes, most likely your basic EZ Flash 3-in-1
Support slot-2 rumble packs?Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?Yes

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
I want to look into replacing my R4 sometime soon and possibly passing it on to my little sister (I bought it before I was knowledgeable about flash carts-go figure) and I also have a friend who wants to buy a flash cart and I'm not sure which one to recommend but I know it's not the R4
tongue.gif

Use?DS, Homebrew, Ebooks,Text files, possibly GBA
Price Range?I'm not sure what the price ranges are for flash carts but I'm hoping not too expensive...
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable
Special features? Not that I can think of?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularNo, since I know nothing about the others yet XD
Other?I basically want something that has the capabilities of what my R4 already does and then some, preferably at a cheaper price.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes, most likely your basic EZ Flash 3-in-1
Support slot-2 rumble packs?Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?Yes

The most basic cart is the DSTT. It's like the R4, but does have SDHC, and a few more stuff. It's only 21.99 from DX.

Acekard 2 is a great cart. It does more than the DSTT, and has more features you can use. It also has more support than the DSTT, and is only 2 dollers more expensive from the DSTT. It's GUI is great as well.

Those two are the best choices if you want something less than 25 dollars.

If you want something more, then there are SCDS1, and CycloDS.

SCDS1 is a bit confusing to use at first, but has the most features in any carts out there. Multi-save, Realtime save, Homebrew Soft-reset, Realtime guide, Slow-mo, Realtime cheats. Unfortunately, it's a bit slower compared to the other carts available, and some people find it's GUI kinda ugly. At DX, it's $28

Cyclo is the most expensive out of the four, but it's just as easy to use than the R4, and the DSTT. It has most of the features the SCDS1 has, but not all of them. It's GUI looks better, and works smoother. The support team answers your question on their forums directly, and even takes suggestions on what they need to improve on their cart. The bad part is, it's hardware is limited, compared to the SCDS1, and has a very small cheat file (Which means it has less cheats than other carts). Usually around $55

There's also the M3 real, which looks fantastic with the M3 Sakura. Haven't heard too much about it lately, but I do know it was released. It's more of a GBA cart, since it had the best GBA compatibility or so I've heard. But since you're going with the 3-in-1, I guess this one may not be for you. Like I've said, I don't know much about the M3 Sakura right now, so if anyone wants to correct me, or add-on to this, feel free to do so.

So in conclusion, If you want something cheap, but like the R4, then get the DSTT.

If you want something a bit more than the DSTT, and has a few more good features, then the Acekard 2.

If you want something with the most features at a cheap price, but doesn't mind having a somewhat slower menu compared to other carts, then the SCDS1.

If you want the most expensive, but does most of the things the SCDS1 can do, and doesn't mind about the cheats, then the Cyclo.

If you like the M3 sakura, then get the M3 real.

You choose.

darkshadow51

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Use? Everything you can actually do with a slot-1 flashcard
Price Range? I don't care, I have thousands of dollars
Slot 1/2? Slot-1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable(Microsd)
Special features? The more the better
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Nope
Other? Like I wrote I don't care about the price, I just want the BEST flashcard possible. You know, the one that is the fastest, that has the more features, ETC... And I want it to work absolutely perfectly with my 3-in-1.

THANKS!

llee8820

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, can anyone recommend me a good flashcart that is able to play ds/gba/nes/snes and whatever else is there games? I read about the G6, but was wondering if there was anything else other than the G6 that could do all that.

Also, the G6 was on the expensive side, so I was also wondering what other flashcarts are there to play only ds and gba games? I have a way old supercard that is out of date, but haven't kept up with the community to see what is good now.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nearly any slot 1 cart can play DS, NEs, and SNES games (the latter two require an emulator). Add a slot 2 GBA expansion cart (EZ 3-in-1 or eWin 2-in-1) and you can play GBA games as well.

Acekard 2, SCDS1, and M3 Sakura are all recommended. All have advantages and disadvantages. Acekard 2 and Sakura both have very nice menus. Acekard 2 is the cheapest. SCDS1 has the most "special" features (RTS, in-game menu, etc), but a slower and more cumbersome menu system.

CycloDS and Acekard RPG are also good, but much more expensive than the others listed.

-Bri

Axas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? hombrew/ gba games
Price Range? lower price end
Slot 1/2? slot 2
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features? browser, could care less about rumble
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
Other? Well I am not 100% sure about expandable memory. I was wondering if it was overkill to have both a slot one and a slot two with expandable memory.

psxiso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

I'm selling my G6 Lite 4GB + Passcard 3 for $55 shipped. I never own a GBA so I don't really play any GBA on my DS.
I'm selling it, if you or anyone interest, PM.
grog.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Axas, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a slot 2 that will work with a slot 1 to play GBA games stored on the slot 1's microSD card. If so, you want a GBA expansion cart like the EZ 3-in-1 or the eWin 2-in-1. Both will play GBA and will work as memory for the browser.

-Bri

llee8820

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Nearly any slot 1 cart can play DS, NEs, and SNES games (the latter two require an emulator). Add a slot 2 GBA expansion cart (EZ 3-in-1 or eWin 2-in-1) and you can play GBA games as well.

Acekard 2, SCDS1, and M3 Sakura are all recommended. All have advantages and disadvantages. Acekard 2 and Sakura both have very nice menus. Acekard 2 is the cheapest. SCDS1 has the most "special" features (RTS, in-game menu, etc), but a slower and more cumbersome menu system.

CycloDS and Acekard RPG are also good, but much more expensive than the others listed.

-Bri

Which card would you recommend that has the best community, for updates and fixes? I own a cyclowiz for the wii and the cyclo team is pretty good at releasing patches and such. I'm not sure how good they are in the ds community or if any other card has a better community.

kekz23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Use? only DS games
Price Range? not above 50€
Slot 1/2? no idea
Built in or expandable memory? don't care
Special features? all DS game should be fully playable
Other? should have a good support if a games gets out that isn't playable so it gets fixed.
I don't care about gba games or Homebrew I just want to play DS games as best as possible.

thx in regards.

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
The SCDS1 has more features, like Realtime guide, and has a better homebrew soft-reset. It also has a multisaver, and a better cheat system. But it's a little confusing to use at first, but it's fine after a few uses. It's also fairly slow compared to other carts out there.The SCDS1 also has a better hardware than the Cyclo, so less limitations on anything.
You need to stop spreading this crap. Homebrew soft reset is actually BETTER on Cyclo as it works with software such as nesDS and lameboy, unlike with SCDS1. And what exactly about the SCDS1 hardware is better than Cyclo? Thats absolutely false. Most of these devices have very similar hardware with similar functions. The hardware is simply responsible for booting the software and providing access to the MicroSD. Its all about the software, thats where the variation is.

Regarding the cheat limitations with Cyclo, it seems that's actually due to the Evolution Tools cheat code editor and not the Cyclo "kernel" itself. It seems to be ok if you use r4cce to create cheats with >127 codes. So in theory all it will take is an update to the PC-side software to fix this issue, or you could just use the 3rd party r4cce which supports the Cyclo file format.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
kekz23 said:
Use? only DS games
Slot 1/2? no idea
Other? should have a good support if a games gets out that isn't playable so it gets fixed.
I don't care about gba games or Homebrew I just want to play DS games as best as possible.

thx in regards.
Scds1

It has almost perfect compability if you buy a good microSD/microSDHC, should be cheaper than most other flashkarts. It also is one of the flashkarts that has the most features available. Technically you can use up to 32GB microSDHC's, but the biggest one available atm is 16GB microSDHC's and they're not cheap.
Supercard Team usually fixes problems with roms very fast, but most of the time it isn't even needed to update. Just by disabling all patching it gains almost 100% compability.

kekz23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Minox_IX said:
kekz23 said:
Use? only DS games
Slot 1/2? no idea

thx in regards.
Scds1

It has almost perfect compability if you buy a good microSD/microSDHC, should be cheaper than most other flashkarts. It also is one of the flashkarts that has the most features available. Technically you can use up to 32GB microSDHC's, but the biggest one available atm is 16GB microSDHC's and they're not cheap.
Supercard Team usually fixes problems with roms very fast, but most of the time it isn't even needed to update. Just by disabling all patching it gains almost 100% compability.

any Ideas for european or better german retailers for it?

EDIT: nvm I found some and it costs 35€ but the M3 DS Real + RUMBLE Pack - Slot 1 also costs 35€ so which should I pick?
I also found a SCDS1 with a 1gb card for 40€ and a M3 DS REal + RUMBLE PACK with a 4gb micro sd card.
EDIT2: the best price I found was a SCDS1 for 30,90€ but without a SD card.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
llee8820 said:
Which card would you recommend that has the best community, for updates and fixes? I own a cyclowiz for the wii and the cyclo team is pretty good at releasing patches and such. I'm not sure how good they are in the ds community or if any other card has a better community.

Team Cyclops is definitely one of the best for community and support (and they are native English speakers). Acekard updates their firmware regularly, and since the Acekard menu is open source, community support for the Acekard RPG and Acekard 2 is excellent and there are several menu systems available that are based on the official menu and therefore offer huge improvements to the official menu while still retaining all of the features and look of the official menu. Supercard is also known for offering compatibility updates for even their older carts, but the SCDS1 menu system is showing its age at this point. Minox_IX thinks Supercard will come out with a new menu for the SCDS1 soon (presumably one not based on moonshell), but we'll see.

-Bri

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So at the moment I have quite a few flashcards, and I only want one.
The rest will be sold.
My question now, what flashcard should I keep?

- R4DS (used for 1 year, great working thingy, works splendid)
- DSTT (unopened, planning to sell this one)
- M3Real (my new card, instead of the R4DS, I'm using this one, but I'm not so happy with it)
- CycloDS (coming soon)

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, the main choice would be between CycloDS and M3 Real.....If you don't like M3 Real yourself....Then probably CycloDS..

It'll be everything R4 is, and much more.....so, just wait to check it out, and decide which do you like the best..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE