Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
distorted.frequency said:
Isn't Acekard RPG a bit expensive? >_> Also, iTouch DS doesn't really look at all that good. Why not just get a budget card like everyone keeps saying? Acekard 2, maybe? Dunno.

EDIT: Thanks ojsinnerz! I appreciate the explanation.
biggrin.gif
Now to look for one of those setup guides...

I have a simple explanation of it on my review. It's on the "setup" section, I believe.

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ojsinnerz said:
Isn't Acekard RPG a bit expensive? >_> Also, iTouch DS doesn't really look at all that good. Why not just get a budget card like everyone keeps saying? Acekard 2, maybe? Dunno.

biggrin.gif

I have a simple explanation of it on my review. It's on the "setup" section, I believe.
Just looked through that. Really quite helpful, Sir Ojsinnerz!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ojsinnerz said:

biggrin.gif

Just looked through that. Really quite helpful, Sir Ojsinnerz!
Lol. Thanks. Also remember I'm taking comments on how to improve it. (I already said I'll take some photos by the end of June.)

JoHnOfDaDeAd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tongue.gif

SC 2.0 was from the outdated review...nvm...

BTW
My top two right now are:
Acekard 2- I am getting for $30
SC- $30 from DE

Should I consider getting the Edge or M3 DS Real over these two for the same price?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
tongue.gif

BTW
SC- $30 from DE

Should I consider getting the Edge or M3 DS Real over these two for the same price?
M3 real is currently having a massive upgrade with the M3 Sakura firmware. It looks great in my opinion.

But if you want to risk it, seeing how the firmware isn't complete yet, you should get it.

However, if you just want to play at the safe side, then get the SCDS1, or Acekard 2.

Acekard 2= Faster, easier, and smoother to use than the SCDS1.
SCDS1= More features than the Cyclo, support team that never drops support for any of their products, and lots of options and customizations.

You choose.

JoHnOfDaDeAd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
tongue.gif

BTW
SC- $30 from DE

M3 real is currently having a massive upgrade with the M3 Sakura firmware. It looks great in my opinion.

But if you want to risk it, seeing how the firmware isn't complete yet, you should get it.

However, if you just want to play at the safe side, then get the SCDS1, or Acekard 2.

SCDS1= More features than the Cyclo, support team that never drops support for any of their products, and lots of options and customizations.

You choose.

So you wouldn't recommend the EDGE? Right now I am sold on the Real. It is really hard deciding on the second one.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
tongue.gif

BTW
SC- $30 from DE

You choose.

So you wouldn't recommend the EDGE? Right now I am sold on the Real. It is really hard deciding on the second one.

I do recommend EDGE, but I'm just saying the Acekard 2 does everything the EDGE does, so there really isn't a point. Unless you prefer the Cyclo like interface.

And, yea, I must admit, the M3 Sakura looks amazing!

JoHnOfDaDeAd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
tongue.gif

BTW
SC- $30 from DE

You choose.

I do recommend EDGE, but I'm just saying the Acekard 2 does everything the EDGE does, so there really isn't a point. Unless you prefer the Cyclo like interface.

Well I can get the EDGE/Acekard2/SC for the same price:P Which one would you get?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
ojsinnerz said:
JoHnOfDaDeAd said:
tongue.gif

BTW
SC- $30 from DE

You choose.

Well I can get the EDGE/Acekard2/SC for the same price:P Which one would you get?

SCDS1. I got it due to the same as yours.

jeanius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys! I'm buying a DS Lite pretty soon and I've been looking into flashcarts. I've been searching around for hours and I'm just getting myself more confused. Just looking for a little help!

Use? For games, video and music. (MP3 and .avi generally)
Price Range? Up to 50 dollars I guess!
Slot 1/2? Slot 1. (Slot 2 is just for GBA and internet right?)
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable, definitely.
Special features? I like the idea of customisable skins or a nice GUI, and real time saving, but they wouldn't be deal breakers. (as seen in the carts I'm looking at!)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I was kinda focusing on Edge and Supercard DS 1 from dealextreme but I could be completely in the wrong direction and haven't come across the right one!
Other? Well, mostly I want it to be pretty stable. And to be able to take a 4GB SDHC card so I can stick on some TV episodes. Also, little help on the card - class 4? class 6? Kingston Japanese? Helluva confusing too - recommendations of ones that are good?

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
(I think, unless I've picked up the slot 2 thing wrong)
Support slot-2 GBA? No
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Nope.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Nope.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jeanius said:
Hey guys! I'm buying a DS Lite pretty soon and I've been looking into flashcarts. I've been searching around for hours and I'm just getting myself more confused. Just looking for a little help!

Use? For games, video and music. (MP3 and .avi generally)
Price Range? Up to 50 dollars I guess!
Slot 1/2? Slot 1. (Slot 2 is just for GBA and internet right?)
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable, definitely.
Special features? I like the idea of customisable skins or a nice GUI, and real time saving, but they wouldn't be deal breakers. (as seen in the carts I'm looking at!)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I was kinda focusing on Edge and Supercard DS 1 from dealextreme but I could be completely in the wrong direction and haven't come across the right one!
Other? Well, mostly I want it to be pretty stable. And to be able to take a 4GB SDHC card so I can stick on some TV episodes. Also, little help on the card - class 4? class 6? Kingston Japanese? Helluva confusing too - recommendations of ones that are good?

(I think, unless I've picked up the slot 2 thing wrong)
Support slot-2 GBA? No
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Nope.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Nope.

Hello, and welcome to the GBAtemp forums!! Before I answer your question, let me thank you for not making a whole new thread about this. (There's been thousands of people asking which cart to get, when this thread existed.)

Anyway....

Answer to your flashkart question: Currently, there are only two carts that have Realtime save. They're CycloDS, and SCDS1 SDHC.

Cyclo is out of your price limit, for it's usually sold around 55 dollars. While the SCDS1 SDHC is only 28 dollars.

The SCDS1 has lots customizations to do with everything, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. And it's GUI has a few complaints for it being kinda slower than other carts. It's only a few second difference, so not much of an issue here.

All of the new carts can have skins for the GUI, so you don't need to worry about that.

And, the EDGE does not have Realtime save. It's a clone of Cyclo, without all the features the CycloDS has. It's still a very good cart, but there are better, and cheaper ones out there.

Answer to your Micro sd question: Japanese micro sd cards are known to be faster than the other ones. They're rated Class 4 (There are 3 classes of micro sd speed. Class 2 is the slowest, Class 4 is medium, and Class 6 is the fastest), but they're also known to be faster than any other class 4 cards out there. But Class 6 cards are even faster.

Also, if you have a faster micro sd card, you should have less problem with games.

In conclusion:
So, I guess SCDS1 is the right choice for you. But it may be a little hard for newcomers. I have a review of it on my blog, along with what to do to make it work right. (Click my name, click "view member profile", scroll down, and you should see it.)

And make sure to get a good micro sd card!

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
pizzaroo1 said:
Use? games and homebrew/emulators
Price Range? anything under $50
Slot 1/2? slot 1, with
Built in or expandable memory? dosent matter. both, if there is one.
Special features? uhhh... not really, soft reset is all I need
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? Acekard R.P.G. and iTouchDS
Other? NOTE: THIS IS MY SECOND FLASHCART! I dont need a cyclo, thats what I use for testing my own crappy stuff.
Support slot-2 GBA? if It's cheap
Support slot-2 rumble packs? nah.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Not at all.

Sorry to break this to you, but Acekard RPG is 80 bucks. And iTouchDS doesn't have a good reputation.

I recommend DSTT, SCDS1 SDHC, EDGE, Acekard 2. They're all under 30 bucks, and you have to get a micro sd with it. Just choose what you like. Each has their own advantages, and disadvantages. I can name them if you want.

I have a REAL review of the SCDS1 on my proflie. Check it out if you want...

im willing to drop 80 dollers if it has 100% compatibility. and it also has 1gb onboard memory in addition to adding your own microSD card, right?
yaynds.gif
(I already know you need one).

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pizzaroo1 said:
ojsinnerz said:
pizzaroo1 said:
Use? games and homebrew/emulators
Price Range? anything under $50
Slot 1/2? slot 1, with
Built in or expandable memory? dosent matter. both, if there is one.
Special features? uhhh... not really, soft reset is all I need
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? Acekard R.P.G. and iTouchDS
Other? NOTE: THIS IS MY SECOND FLASHCART! I dont need a cyclo, thats what I use for testing my own crappy stuff.
Support slot-2 GBA? if It's cheap
Support slot-2 rumble packs? nah.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Not at all.

Sorry to break this to you, but Acekard RPG is 80 bucks. And iTouchDS doesn't have a good reputation.

I recommend DSTT, SCDS1 SDHC, EDGE, Acekard 2. They're all under 30 bucks, and you have to get a micro sd with it. Just choose what you like. Each has their own advantages, and disadvantages. I can name them if you want.

I have a REAL review of the SCDS1 on my proflie. Check it out if you want...

im willing to drop 80 dollers if it has 100% compatibility. and it also has 1gb onboard memory in addition to adding your own microSD card, right?
yaynds.gif
(I already know you need one).

Yea, it does have the micro sd addition. So, you can have up to 9 gigs (With a 8 gig micro sdhc). But 80 bucks is a bit much, don't you think? Unless you got the money to spend....

Dzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games, possibly very little video
Price Range? No limit, but I am a bang-for-your-buck type of shopper, and don't like to pay more then I have to
Slot 1/2? Both
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable for slot 1, built-in for slot two.
Special features? I need some sort of way to organize the files in the menus. Good download play support would be stellar.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT, Acekard2, RAGE, SCDS1
Other? The Slot-2's to get are pretty clear cut, but I've been having a hell of a time deciding what slot one to get. DSTT is out because I want the ROMs in my menu organized, but that's as far as I've gotten. No matter how much I read about the other three, I just can't decide. They all look like they fulfill my needs, and for similar enough price. I just can't choose! I'm confused about the microSD card selection, also....Why are the Japanese made Kingston's considered, "The best," by so many people if they're only class 4? There are bunch of nice class 6 micro SDHC cards on Newegg that are much cheaper for the capacity then paying the premium price many of the flash card sites put on the Japanese Kingstons. Is it just hype and a hive mentality about the Japanese Kingstons?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes, I love me some GBA
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Don't care

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? Own memory

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dzan said:
Use? Games, possibly very little video
Price Range? No limit, but I am a bang-for-your-buck type of shopper, and don't like to pay more then I have to
Slot 1/2? Both
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable for slot 1, built-in for slot two.
Special features? I need some sort of way to organize the files in the menus. Good download play support would be stellar.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT, Acekard2, RAGE, SCDS1
Other? The Slot-2's to get are pretty clear cut, but I've been having a hell of a time deciding what slot one to get. DSTT is out because I want the ROMs in my menu organized, but that's as far as I've gotten. No matter how much I read about the other three, I just can't decide. They all look like they fulfill my needs, and for similar enough price. I just can't choose! I'm confused about the microSD card selection, also....Why are the Japanese made Kingston's considered, "The best," by so many people if they're only class 4? There are bunch of nice class 6 micro SDHC cards on Newegg that are much cheaper for the capacity then paying the premium price many of the flash card sites put on the Japanese Kingstons. Is it just hype and a hive mentality about the Japanese Kingstons?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes, I love me some GBA
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Don't care

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? Own memory

By RAGE, I think you mean EDGE, correct?

Well, out of the three, it really depends on what you're looking for.

Acekard 2: It's the cheapest, and has the nicest GUI out of the three. It's fairly easy to use, and is the best "budget" cart. It also seems to have a good support team.

EDGE: It's a Cyclo rip-off, but a good one. It's pretty much a Cyclo, without the features that make people want it. However, it has some weird reports of it dying at odd times. The acekard 2 has all the stuff the EDGE has, so there really isn't a point of getting this.

SCDS1 SDHC: This is a cart that stands up, even to the CycloDS. It has more features, such as multiple save slots, In-game guide, in-game cheats, and a support team that never drops support for any of their products.
But it's a little hard to use for beginners, and has a GUI that a lot of people may find ugly. I, for one, don't mind it at all, but quite a lot of people do, so you should check that out. And it's a little slower compared to other carts. It's not the slowest, but a 1-3 second difference between the other carts.

The SCDS1 SDHC has what called, a "tripple loader". It uses a hacked DSTT firmware, and lets you take the benefits of the DSTT, while keeping the original stuff. This way, the speed issue is sorted out, and you can use 3 (YSmenu of DSTT) different "carts" at once.

I have a review of the SCDS1 SDHC on my blog. Check that out if you want. (Click my name, view profile, scroll down, and you should find it.)

About the micro sd:
The Japanese Kingstons are known to be fast. REALLY FAST. Although they're considered a Class 4, the Japanese Kingstons are slightly slower than the Class 6 cards currently available. For example, on my Sandisk class 4 card, whenever I turn on a Castlevania game, the opening lags. If I use the Japanese Kingston, which is also class 4, it doesn't lag.
That's how it is.

GBA games:
And since you wanted to play GBA games, buy a GBA expansion slot-2. A good one is the Ewin 2-in-1, and EZflash 3-in-1. They're both made to play GBA games, and a few more stuff, so you choose. The Ewin has a better Ram, 5 bucks cheaper, but doesn't have a rumble. EZflash 3-in-1 has rumble, GBA, RAM.

Both of these require a Slot-1 cart available to use them.
In conclusion,

If you want something fast, simple, cheap and does all the simple jobs, then choose the Acekard 2.

If you want something more powerful, has more features, has a slight learning curve and best bang for the buck, then choose the SCDS1 SDHC.

They're both excellent choices.

Dzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I meant EDGE. I have no idea why I said RAGE
ph34r.gif

I did read your review, I learned some things I didn't know about it before. I wasn't aware about the tripple booting, nor the real time guide. The real time guide sounds very interesting. The SCDS1 definitely looks like the better bang for the buck here, I doubt the learning curve can be as harsh as some other technological devices I've played with over the years. How is the USB reader/write that it comes with? I need to get around to buying another multi-card reader since the one I've been using for my SD cards died on me recently, if the one that comes with the SCDS1 is crap it will make me in more of a hurry to buy one.

As for the MicroSD card, I'll be looking around for a class 6 SDHC with free shipping. The 4GB Transcend on Newegg caught my eye, but I'm not on board with the $6 shipping. If I can't find any good deals I may end up adding a 2GB Japanese Kingston to my order from wherever I look to buy the SCDS1 from, but I hope to find an alternative for a better price before resorting to that.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dzan said:
Yes, I meant EDGE. I have no idea why I said RAGE
ph34r.gif

I did read your review, I learned some things I didn't know about it before. I wasn't aware about the tripple booting, nor the real time guide. The real time guide sounds very interesting. The SCDS1 definitely looks like the better bang for the buck here, I doubt the learning curve can be as harsh as some other technological devices I've played with over the years. How is the USB reader/write that it comes with? I need to get around to buying another multi-card reader since the one I've been using for my SD cards died on me recently, if the one that comes with the SCDS1 is crap it will make me in more of a hurry to buy one.

As for the MicroSD card, I'll be looking around for a class 6 SDHC with free shipping. The 4GB Transcend on Newegg caught my eye, but I'm not on board with the $6 shipping. If I can't find any good deals I may end up adding a 2GB Japanese Kingston to my order from wherever I look to buy the SCDS1 from, but I hope to find an alternative for a better price before resorting to that.

Well, if you're getting a fast micro sd, there shouldn't be a lot of problems. Just a few buttons to click, and a bit of researching. And the micro sd reader that comes with it is actually fairly decent. I've used it for a few months, and so far, no corruptions yet. However, I've read somewhere, that it's not always good, so I'd rather not risk using it instead of a good reader. At DealExtreme, it's only about 2-3 bucks.

And as for the micro sd, I wish I could help, but I got my micro sd off of Ebay (I RECOMMEND YOU TO NOT. TOO MANY FAKES.).
The only place I know that sells "cheap" micro sds is Dealextreme......

Holaitsme

10/10 would be loyal again
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use?
Price Range? $20-$35
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features? no
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularacekard 2
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? yeah
Support slot-2 rumble packs? yeah
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? yeah

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dzan said:

the 6$ shipping is actually not 6$ if you choose the USPS 2-4 days shipping. For most people its under 3$. I recall someone saying it shipped to them for like 19.50$ (which is a very slick deal)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
holaitsme said:
Use?
Price Range? $20-$35
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features? no
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularacekard 2
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? yeah
Support slot-2 rumble packs? yeah
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? yeah

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

Uh..... You can't buy both Gba expansion, and a Slot 1 at 35 bucks.......

Acekard 2 is 23 bucks, and Ezflash 3-in-1 is 19 bucks. And you'll need to buy a separete micro sd/hc, which will cost you around 6-60 bucks.

At the cheapest, you still need at least 49 bucks.... You COULD buy a DSTT instead, which will save you 4 bucks....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Funky Kong has one of the worst hidden stat totals of all Mario Kart Wii characters, and the...