Homebrew Discussion Post homebrew ideas, suggestions, requests here

rh62

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A port of Nethack or Slash 'Em would be out of this world. There was a really slick one for the Nintendo DS (homebrew) that relied on the flashcart file system, so it's not possible to use it via a DS Emu.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hekate is just a tool like homebrew apps or CFW and like those things, they still require an exploit in order to be loaded. The only way to hack anything that isn't an unpatched console past firmware 4.1 is with a modchip which will require soldering. And good luck finding anyone to install it as Nintendo has sent C&D letters to most, if not all, installers. Lastly, the OLED model hasn't been released yet so there is no way of knowing if we can run Hekate on it or not; the preliminary support is just in case. It even says so in the changelog: " In case you are able to run it there." implying that there may not be a way to load Hekate.

Reactions: krzys4x

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Port Final Fantasy III and IV (Android version)! They've done it for Vita. All you need is the data from the Android version.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Port Final Fantasy III and IV (Android version)! They've done it for Vita. All you need is the data from the Android version.
This has been discussed in another thread (one Android game did get ported), for technical reasons it's much harder to port 32-bit Android games to the Switch than 64-bit ones.

cosmo135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I third the simpsons hit and run port idea. I know theres an "open source" C or C++ reimplimentation of the game floating around on github. It also utilizes OpenGL which might make it much easier to port over than starting from scratch.

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
and how would you control the switch? lul
There's this thing called 'USB'
Also, last I checked you should still be able not to install it and use whatever means you see fit to "control the switch." Whereas disabling Bluetooth when Switch is docked is simply not possible

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's this thing called 'USB'
Also, last I checked you should still be able not to install it and use whatever means you see fit to "control the switch." Whereas disabling Bluetooth when Switch is docked is simply not possible
why does something you dont see or feel annoy you so much that you want to disable it nonetheless?
also, did you try airplane mode?

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
why does something you dont see or feel annoy you so much that you want to disable it nonetheless?
also, did you try airplane mode?
it's not that annoying if you put it like that.. still I usually disable whatever I'm not using
Yes, Airplane is always on for me (or I wouldn't be able to turn off Wi-Fi iirc)

Reactions: PhyChris

sandman15552000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go couldn't find a way to search forum and when through as many pages as I could before my brain melted.
Maybe this has already been tried.

But super-resolution like on a pc GPU. allow switch to put out 1080p to the 720p mobile screen for cheap anti-aliasing. and also bump gpu to docked settings so no slowdown.

would the switch screen support it? Is it possible? maybe mix it it with cpu manager to make game and charger profiles.

cosmo135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go couldn't find a way to search forum and when through as many pages as I could before my brain melted.
Maybe this has already been tried.

But super-resolution like on a pc GPU. allow switch to put out 1080p to the 720p mobile screen for cheap anti-aliasing. and also bump gpu to docked settings so no slowdown.

would the switch screen support it? Is it possible? maybe mix it it with cpu manager to make game and charger profiles.

switch is definitely not powerful enough to do that lol

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What about the new nsp (?) file structure that can't be ripped?

apparently other new eshop games are using it.

The game "Lost in random" cant be ripped, installed.

ANyone already looking at that? (search reddit lost in random nsp, theres a discussion there)

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about the new nsp (?) file structure that can't be ripped?
apparently other new eshop games are using it.
The game "Lost in random" cant be ripped, installed.
ANyone already looking at that? (search reddit lost in random nsp, theres a discussion there)

pretty sure awoo/tinwoo and tinfoil will work on this sooner or later. Not so sure about other installers.
Anyway, you can still install the XCI's.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone worked on a way to get Moonlight going through USB? I would love to lay next to my closed laptop and have my switch stream games from it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • phalk @ phalk:
    but.... nah
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No point really.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Even the simplest device these days runs some sort of high level language.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho all the IT stuff i've learned in school has been extremely basic... i knew most of it already
    Gift
    it's better to learn on your own, it goes much faster than the snail pace they teach you at in school
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembly is actually great, gets you to run everything about 80% faster than C massaged code
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    @The Real Jdbye quite idiotic and frankly, bu
    llshit points as usual you make. Not only because you have no idea what you're talking about, but also because there is proof (both i've seen and maintained) in regards to C and hand-written assembler code, and the speed gain is simply over half the framerate.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    gbaemu4ds's C ARM and THUMB CPU emulator and GBARunner2's ARM and THUMB handcoded assembly. Just run Yoshi's Island GBA and compare it by yourself.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    or SnemulDS's C CPU Core vs SnemulDS SnezziDS ARM core. The first running at about 45% (half the speed) vs ~105% (full speed)
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    yeah, keep believing -Ofast will make everything faster.
    Gift
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    Must ambulate quickly! ~Sonic (a hedgehog)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Gotta Go Fast diarrhea makes a horrible sound, blue skin and super sick... Probably food poisoning from bad chili dogs.
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Huh Betty white was born on mlk day
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Slim Jim Monster Sonic Chili Cheese Dog Flavor, 1.94 Oz (Pack Of 18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MC9KVDG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_V2DMVRA3YQPJZF2F4Q95
    Gift
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Slim Jim Monster Sonic Chili Cheese Dog Flavor, 1.94 Oz (Pack Of 18)...