Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

Leqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
A content patch for Tekken 3D Prime Edition since there's some content from Tekken 6 PSP version that is missing.
Probably impossible but maybe also crossplay patch to play multiplayer between Tekken 3D Prime Edition and Tekken 6 PSP.

Halbour

Love yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Dolphin, Discord, Newgrounds, And Super Smash Bros Crusade
Dolphin- probably wont be possible, because the n64 Emulator we currently have runs, like, horrible.
Discord- they are banning everyone who tries to make clients of this, and everyone who runs them. you dont want your account banned....
Newgrounds- probably too advanced for the 3DS.
Maybe a mod to be like SSB Crusade for SSB 4.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to have your emunand filled up to the title limit, have a copy of the nand with the rest of your games, and have an app that switches between them by renaming them, thus bypassing the title limit?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin- probably wont be possible, because the n64 Emulator we currently have runs, like, horrible.
Discord- they are banning everyone who tries to make clients of this, and everyone who runs them. you dont want your account banned....
Newgrounds- probably too advanced for the 3DS.
Maybe a mod to be like SSB Crusade for SSB 4.
oh ok,,,

dabhdude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea for trying to create some sort of homebrew software which allows for video output through either the analog out port or the SD card slot, picked because both wouldn't require hardware modding of the 3DS.
My idea is for a 3DS capture method that's actually reliable on all systems, works without hardware mods, and preferably isn't locked to just the 3DS mode. It'd be a sort of middle ground in quality between a system with a fully modded board, but not with quite the same issues that tend to arise from wireless streaming methods (especially when it comes to frame rates on Old 3DS models).
Honestly I'd pick either the SD card slot with some sort of SDIO contraption, or the analog audio output (I prefer the latter, and you'll understand why). Both have pros and cons in my hypothetical idea:
SD Card pros:
  • Way higher bandwidth capabilities
  • Would likely be much easier to mod from a software perspective
Cons:
  • SD Card slot is taken, which will mean either figuring out some way to pass the actual SD card through to the system, or simply being unable to use your SD card and anything on it AT ALL while capturing
  • Would require creation of an entirely new device
  • DS mode will likely have no clue what to do with it, making it extremely difficult if not impossible to use there
Analog port pros:
  • SD card slot is still free
  • Audio already goes through there (so it could be argued we're already halfway there?)
  • Won't require any other hardware to be made or purchased
  • Will be easier to get working in DS mode (the DS at least expects an audio port, but it likely has no clue about an SD card slot)
Cons:
  • I have no clue how much data can be put through an analog audio out (probably not very much though)
  • This also means that any video output will probably be rather compressed (although honestly I'm not trying to get the most raw uncompressed video out of the 3DS anyway)
  • Audio port will be completely unusable while capturing
The absolute minimum data throughput for something usable seems to be 1.5-2mbps, and something preferable will be closer to 4mbps or higher (yes I know you'd need a lot more to get the "full" quality, but that's not really what I'm looking for here. Just something usable). I've had this idea for a while, so I figured I'd share it. I went searching and couldn't find out if this had ever been tried or even suggested before. I'm not going to pretend like the idea will be easy (especially with the analog out port, as most computers can't just detect audio through a line in, which means some sort of even just basic software would also need to be developed so that the computer will know that it's not just white noise or something).
The most difficult part though is how to basically trick the 3DS to output something like this through that port. That's not to say it's impossible, as obviously we're able to do this over wifi. The even more difficult part would be trying to get the DS mode to play along. I think it'd be interesting to see, especially given the fact that 3DS capture boards seem to be getting more and more rare and/or expensive, and to me the wifi option is...not the most fun to use, from both a viewing and a usability standpoint.
If people find this interesting I might move this to it's own separate thread.

Reactions: Halbour

Yulian_guardsman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Being able to access the remote sd card access from the main menu to copy paste games you have from a pc remotely would be a hell of a lot less tedious than having to manually install all your non-3ds games.

Last edited by Yulian_guardsman,
Reactions: Halbour

dabhdude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in regards to my previous idea, I decided to make a quick video on it to see what others think, as well as generally just get the message out there so that hopefully something will come of this idea. Let me know what you think of it!

Also, I added one other idea:
The game card slot. I'm thinking something similar in design to the Action Replay for the DS, if you ever used that.
To go in the same style as before:
Game card pros:
-Higher bandwidth
-Both modes expect the game card slot
Cons:
-Additional hardware needs to be made
-Getting the 3DS to output video through the game card slot would be difficult
-Would this idea interfere with actual game card performance if we're still passing game card data through (again, kinda like the old Action Replay) and does how fast the game card "responds" matter at all to the 3DS?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
An homebrew app for disable/activate the powercondumption of a gamecard slot, to increase the battery runtime of the 3DS.
Or Rosalina just needs a modification.
With Rosalina its possible, but only temporary. If the 3DS is turned on again, the power to the slot is turned on again, too.

Last edited by Sypherone,

BobbySwanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title loader like FBI but nicer looking like TWiLight Menu and USB Loader GX. Would allow for more customization and would bypass 300 title limit while still having your game collection look nice.

Reactions: Tarmfot

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A port of Nvidia Geforce now for PS Vita, 3DS, WiiU, Switch and so on.. On XBox is Nvidia geforce already possible through the chromium based browser.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm interested in seeing an on boot LED changer for the bottom 3 leds.
speaking of LEDS, a more accurate battery percentage indicator using color might be useful. I kinda get desperate when it turns red, but maybe there's still like 20% and well over an hour left for me to save my progress. There's probably some tool that does something along the lines already. Or maybe it's not worth it since there's ways to see the percent value.

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
I am still waiting for a virtual boy emularor. :-/

And a all kind of old school fps like quake, quake II in actual 3d.
I know doom. But health bar has an strange 3d depth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on