Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

RingComics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a tool I think would be really neat. I'd make this myself but I got into the homebrew community about a week ago and if I were to tell you I was fully familiar with the formats used for 3DS data, I'd be lying straight to your face. Maybe I'll get to it once I understand how the data works and whatnot. Dealing with binary data is nothing new to me, and I've both reversed and created several different formats.

One tool that I think would be absolutely amazing is the ability to take a .3DSX and .SMDH file and combine them into a CIA file. The workflow works like this:

[3DSX, SMDH, WAV (for mouse-over audio), PNG (for banner)] => [CIA].
The icon would be inherited from the SMDH, but I suppose being able to override it would be handy regardless.

The primary purpose of an application like this is to allow homebrew applications to effectively have shortcuts on the home screen with custom audio / banners.
I believe a .3dsx to .cia converter exists already... It's built in with GM9 IIRC

vibrantic22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just made this request in another thread, but I'll put it here for consistency.

I think we could really use some rougelike games ported to the 3DS, specifically ones like NetHack and it's derivatives. I'm not sure about more demanding ones like C:DDA or DCSS (and Dwarf Fortress is a definite no), but some older, more simple rougelikes could very likely run on the 3DS' hardware just fine. Heck, there was even a port of a NetHack derivative to the DS.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just made this request in another thread, but I'll put it here for consistency.

I think we could really use some rougelike games ported to the 3DS, specifically ones like NetHack and it's derivatives. I'm not sure about more demanding ones like C:DDA or DCSS (and Dwarf Fortress is a definite no), but some older, more simple rougelikes could very likely run on the 3DS' hardware just fine. Heck, there was even a port of a NetHack derivative to the DS.

Dwarf Fortress would need a PS4 Pro minimum, is very hardware intensive.

There are already ports of Nethack for the DS. Dunno why some things just got atuxk on the DS version, probably because ith the DS it is easier to run homebrew with.

D

Deleted User

I personally would have like to see a good mp3/flac player which can scrobble music to last.fm and a GBA emulator would be pretty cool too so I don't have to buy a flashcard for my SP.

Animal Crossing New Leaf 60fps GameShark code or hack?

D

Deleted User

Does anyone know of a better Wifi Manager app or willing to write a better one? The existing one is very basic and doesn't save advanced wifi settings (like custom DNS), display the filename you save it as or access the Nintendo DS cartridge version of the wfc settings. It would be nice to have something a little more advanced where you could quickly toggle settings in/out instead of manually typing in numbers every time for services like sudomemo, altwfc, or wiimmfi.

AceJAndTails

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe a .3dsx to .cia converter exists already... It's built in with GM9 IIRC
Yeah, GM9 has one built in. You just press R+A over either SYSNAND SD or SYSNAND TWLN depending on the game location and use Search for Titles. Once done, just go to the .tmd file of the game you want to turn into a .cia and select TMD File Options..., then select Build CIA (standard)

Last edited by AceJAndTails,

huckleberrypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may sound like a tall order, but would it be feasible to do a YouTube client a la NewPipe? NewPipe did its thing by parsing the YouTube website and scraping whatever it is it may find useful hence why they didn't have to use any Google APIs or libraries at all. The problem here is since goalposts are moved once in a while, someone has to maintain and update that repo to account for changes in the site.

jkrosado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A screen recorder that saves to the SD card, with no PC required (i have macbook air with shit cooling)
Modify titles, publishers, icons/banners for apps. Banner and icon are not required, but i'd love if you could add that

huckleberrypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android booting on the New 3DS would be something. Now before you dismiss that as impossible, some dude ported Android 1.6 on the TI Nspire CX, mostly as a proof-of-concept rather than a practical OS replacement. So I'm sure that booting Donut on the 3DS would be an interesting challenge:

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Android booting on the New 3DS would be something. Now before you dismiss that as impossible, some dude ported Android 1.6 on the TI Nspire CX, mostly as a proof-of-concept rather than a practical OS replacement. So I'm sure that booting Donut on the 3DS would be an interesting challenge:

Id say you are looking at one god awful poc, or simply the 3ds loading just a logo. The 3ds is not a smartphone os, and it never will be.

huckleberrypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id say you are looking at one god awful poc, or simply the 3ds loading just a logo. The 3ds is not a smartphone os, and it never will be.
The NSpire had an ARM processor with similar clock speed, and far worse RAM. I'm not saying that it can be done, nor is it going to overwrite the default OS, but it's just a thought for a challenge.

Reactions: KidNezha

Employee426

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed that the 2d platformer game engine Löve has been ported to 3ds, so I had a thought. Would it be possible to port Mari0 (original mario with portals) to the 3ds? I have very little knowledge in these sorts of things, but as the source code is available and the engine is supported, would it be possible? I believe it is running on quite an old build of Löve so that might be an issue.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed that the 2d platformer game engine Löve has been ported to 3ds, so I had a thought. Would it be possible to port Mari0 (original mario with portals) to the 3ds? I have very little knowledge in these sorts of things, but as the source code is available and the engine is supported, would it be possible? I believe it is running on quite an old build of Löve so that might be an issue.
I believe so. Never know till you try though.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Not so much a "request", but a question... do we have any alternatives to homepass yet or still nobody has done any work on that front? I don't really care about streetpass hits, but I want to play some local-only games (mainly MH3U) with friends online again, so been hoping someone would make an alternative to homepass already. If anyone knows of anything, let me know. If there's nothing developed yet, then I'm putting this as a request for whoever is interested in making this!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not so much a "request", but a question... do we have any alternatives to homepass yet or still nobody has done any work on that front? I don't really care about streetpass hits, but I want to play some local-only games (mainly MH3U) with friends online again, so been hoping someone would make an alternative to homepass already. If anyone knows of anything, let me know. If there's nothing developed yet, then I'm putting this as a request for whoever is interested in making this!
I still believe at this point its that file injection method from the rise from the ashes page that was made a fair while ago. Ive been keeping my eyes on this aswell and havent seen anything more than that atm.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I still believe at this point its that file injection method from the rise from the ashes page that was made a fair while ago. Ive been keeping my eyes on this aswell and havent seen anything more than that atm.
Yeah, I mean ACTUALLY useful methods, not that useless shit, I don't give two shits about streetpass hits, Homepass allowed you to play local games online, that's what I'm looking for! If you just care about number of hits, all you need to do is get a memory editor like CTRPF plugin and change the number to however many hits you want, simple as that, takes maybe 2 minutes... I need a way to play local-only games online again like we used to be able to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol