post-a9lh. can't play with R4. using cakes FW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by raharaha, Mar 10, 2016.

1. raharaha
    OP

raharaha Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    Indonesia
    Hello guys, right now i'm succeeding doing the installation of a9lh and running cakesFW based on the plaelict's guide. but when i'm trying to run my r4 sdhc it only gives me a black screen (i can boot that one before when i'm using sysnad + emunand set up.) is there any way to fix it? is it because of the cakesFW not supporting r4sdhc or there's kinda something broken in the sysnand? thank you very much!

2. Rafinhi

Rafinhi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    I had the 2014 version, tried to use it 3 days ago , i got black screen so i decided that maybe it broke after year of not using so i just ordered new one , the 2016 version , i have the same problem on the new one, only black screen and no reaction
    Damn , i wish googled harder before ordering:(

3. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2012
    United States
    If one starts it with sysNAND cards like the GW blue card work.
    As the R4 has no banner data, you could try to use the Launcher from Apache Thunder.
    As rxTools isn't still supported however, you would need to install a prepatched TWL_FIRM and I have no idea if this bricks with a9lh as there is an explicit block FIRM update feature in cakesFW.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    IIRC, CakesFW can't run DS/DSi/GBA mode, even on sysNAND. You need to run AuReiNand to get those features. You should also try using either TWL Slot-1 Launcher (if your card has a proper header) or R4 Stage2 TWL Flashcart, for cards without proper headers.

Supster131 and kiwiis like this.
  5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2012
    United States
    I tested it, it works with some cards in sysNAND and GBA/DSi in emuNAND, when installed on sysNAND and emuNAND.
    If a downgraded whitelist or prepatched TWL_FIRM was installed this would also work, rxTools patches those in during runtime which is a lot better.

Last edited by Wuigi, Mar 22, 2016
  6. Rafinhi

Rafinhi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    I was on a9lh + cakes , just installed aureinand , and it works out of the box , nothing more needed just only aureinand alone made it work , thanks guys i appreciate your help

7. jasonal21

jasonal21 Yet another waifu material

Feb 26, 2015
    My GEi (which is not updated since FW 3.1 IIRC) works in A9LH AuReiNand FW 10.7. I just download TWL_FIRM from the ISO site and install it to NAND with FBI. If you can't overwrite it, delete the existing one.

8. YharnamBadass

YharnamBadass GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    I use aureinand with arm9loaderhax updated sysnand and i cant even boot ds games :C any help? Before arm9loaderhax ds games worked well on both sysnand and emunand I dont have a emunand anymore :(

9. Gcentrex

Gcentrex GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Let me guess you swapped sysNAND and emuNAND by injecting ctrNAND from emuNAND to sysNAND

That's the reason you can't play DS games you also need to swap the other partitions, everything except Firm0/1 then DS games will work.

The reason for this happening is because the NDS mode firmware is expecting a newer revision of the DSi mode files but is finding an old copy and crashes instead of loading them.

This was added to stop people from installing a downgraded while list to use old DS mode flash cards.

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The only issue with downgrading your whitelist, is dealing with the annoying system update message that you get with it. I tried patching the TWL_FIRM, but it didn't work for me.
    I found the APP seemed to be the only fix without hassle.

11. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Are you on the latest version of AuReiNAND?
    Also, make sure to install the patched TWL_FIRM.

12. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Thats exactly what i did
    Damn i deleted my emunand. How do I do this

Will injecting emunand again from the computer emunand tool to the sd make me recover emunand so I can do this?

Last edited by YharnamBadass, Mar 22, 2016
  13. Grumpsta

Grumpsta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    Before you restore your emuNAND, try downloading the AGB_FIRM file from that iso site. I have N3DS and had this issue... the BIOS boot version solved it. Just make sure you download from O3DS or N3DS respectively.

14. Gcentrex

Gcentrex GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Yes inject it and then dump the other partitions then inject them into the sysNAND should fix the issue.

15. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Agb firm is for gba games which actually work well for me. I already tried installing original twl firm and it didnt work so i think reinjecting emunand and copying the partitions is the best i can do. Will the method i mentioned worked formrecovering emunand?

16. Grumpsta

Grumpsta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    I would give the AGB_FIRM a shot first. But, If that doesn't work:
    1) Restore your original sysNAND via Decrpyt9 - This will remove a9lh in the process
    2) Format your SD Card for emuNAND via EmuNAND9
    3) Restore your emuNAND from the image you hopefully backed up
    4) Install a9lh

17. YharnamBadass

Jan 4, 2016
    Ecuador
    Perfect i will try this later and get back to you :D

18. Blundermann

Blundermann GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I am using CakesFW, and GBA works fine with a patched AGB on SysNAND.

19. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    My information isn't always up to date, thanks for the new information! ^_^

20. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    Did u patched it after or before a9lh? Do you mind pointing me out the steps u did?