Hacking Possiblility of DS Top Screen to TV?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a possibility of making or anywhere that sells a DS to TV cable AKA DS AV cable? Essentially, getting the top screen and audio to a TV. I was thinking it would be a fun weekend project and a very rewarding one too as I have LOTS of videos on moonshell that I would like to share with my friends when I go over to their house. Basically if there is any cable that could ideally connect to the DS's charger port and then to the TVs 3 ports. Now, I already did a bit of research on this and found out if it was possible this kind of cable can only exist for a DS Phat because the DS phat is the only model of a DS that has data exchange connections on the charge port while the DS lite remodel only has ground connections so can only supply a charge while the DS can exchange data and charge if I am not mistaken. Anyone know if this can be possible or have some tips they can give me if you have some knowledge on this subject.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a possibility of making or anywhere that sells a DS to TV cable AKA DS AV cable? Essentially, getting the top screen and audio to a TV. I was thinking it would be a fun weekend project and a very rewarding one too as I have LOTS of videos on moonshell that I would like to share with my friends when I go over to their house. Basically if there is any cable that could ideally connect to the DS's charger port and then to the TVs 3 ports. Now, I already did a bit of research on this and found out if it was possible this kind of cable can only exist for a DS Phat because the DS phat is the only model of a DS that has data exchange connections on the charge port while the DS lite remodel only has ground connections so can only supply a charge while the DS can exchange data and charge if I am not mistaken. Anyone know if this can be possible or have some tips they can give me if you have some knowledge on this subject.

It's not possible. The DS isn't powerful enough for them to have such cables. It doesn't have the processing power to convert the signal it accepts gets into something the TV accepts, Without making it look like Actual shit.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, it would be possible. It's just a signal output, but the signal to the DS screen would have to be killed. There was a guy who modified his DS to play on two laptop screens, but required to modify the DS internally. There's no output device capable to make the DS output video to external hardware except the Nitro Capture System created by Nintendo. But you can't buy those.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it would be possible. It's just a signal output, but the signal to the DS screen would have to be killed. There was a guy who modified his DS to play on two laptop screens, but required to modify the DS internally. There's no output device capable to make the DS output video to external hardware except the Nitro Capture System created by Nintendo. But you can't buy those.
Ok, I have 2 questions:

One: What is a Nitro Capture System? Never heard of it.

Two: When you say the signal to the DS would need to be killed, do you mean, internally modified by hardware to be killed or just temporarily when the cable is plugged in because I wouldn't mind having a black top screen and no DS audio if it was going to be redirected to the TV.

EDIT: So far, I have only found this which seems to be completely useless though. http://www.siliconera.com/2006/08/24/play-...-ds-on-your-tv/

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS Phat power port only outputs audio signals in addition to power and ground (compatible with the GBA SP headphone sets), not anything that could be used for what you're looking for.

The link you posted is probably about as close as you're going to get without modding your DS in any way. Capture the image with a camera, upload it to the TV.

The Nitro capture system is an official Nintendo tool used for showing DS gameplay on large screens, and it's not something you can go up and buy anywhere.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The Nitro capture system is an official Nintendo tool used for showing DS gameplay on large screens, and it's not something you can go up and buy anywhere.

I realize that I cannot buy it, as mentioned above as well, but I would like to know more about it, for instance, how it goes about doing this feet and why it was never made to commercially to be sold. Links are appreciated.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I mean black out the top screen of the DS. It just has to reduce to signal strain when transferring over to another device.
But according to DanTheMan, this is impossible due to the DS only having audio signal through the charge port, I thought it was similar to the GBASP where data can also be transfered. >_> Dang, whatever.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I never said anything about using that port. It'd be possible to make the DS change the direction of it's signal. But you need to modify the DS.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I never said anything about using that port. It'd be possible to make the DS change the direction of it's signal. But you need to modify the DS.
Oh, I see, sorry for being so simple minded on my own theories.
nyanya.gif
Well, if I was going to mod my DS internally I would do all the mods at once, and one of the other things I want to do is add a brightness setting chip.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But according to DanTheMan, this is impossible due to the DS only having audio signal through the charge port, I thought it was similar to the GBASP where data can also be transfered. >_> Dang, whatever.
Looking at http://www.gameboy-advance-sp.com/gba_sp_p...re_gallery5.htm it appears the SP had two ports, one for power/headphones and the other for link data transfer. Only the former survived to the DS Phat. People have found a couple traces of the link port on the DS motherboard, but not a full set.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think IGN use this when they post gameplay videos of Nintendo DS on their reviews.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
QUOTE said:

I realize that I cannot buy it, as mentioned above as well, but I would like to know more about it, for instance, how it goes about doing this feet and why it was never made to commercially to be sold. Links are appreciated.

Even "Nitro capture System" isn't for commercial, it still proof that it is possible to sent image to other screen.

btw, even if you can, .dpg video on DS has 256*192 resolution, it must look very bad if you hook it to larger screen

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
System" isn't for commercial, it still proof that it is possible to sent image to other screen.

btw, even if you can, .dpg video on DS has 256*192 resolution, it must look very bad if you hook it to larger screen

It's not "proof," as it's not an expansion card, it's physically got different hardware to retail DSs

And it's possile if you're bery technically minded, details here: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Even "Nitro capture System" isn't for commercial, it still proof that it is possible to sent image to other screen.

Yes, the output probably wouldn't be great with movies or pictures with small sizes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...