Possible way to backlight original GameBoy with a NDS screen?

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
I was working on this some years ago. But since I never had success, I gave up.
Now, since I know more about modding, using resistances, etc. I want to do this again one more time.
The idea was this:
Using a broken NDS screen, so, I can take the LEDS (that are the backlight from the NDS screen)
CAM00576.jpg

Luckly, I still had some photos saved, so, there is the NDS LEDS Screen I was talking about:
CAM00589.jpg

And then, I was going to turn it on on the 3 pins that have the LCD, but I didn't had success, so, I just did this in this case:
CAM00632.jpg

Somehow, all the LEDs was working. I was shocked because I never knew it would be working.

Then, connect the LEDs somewhere on the GB motherboard that gave 3V-5V to bring up the backlight (of course I never knew about resistances in that moment)

So, it would look like this (before soldering, I was using a multimeter, checking the pins where were 3V or 5V, but again, I didn't had success.)
CAM00633.jpg

I can't remember if I could turn on all the LEDs, iirc, I did it, but it doesn't gave enough brightness, so the other thing I did, was removing the green paper that have the GameBoy screen and remplacing it with the NDS one, and remplace most parts of the NDS LCD to the GameBoy LCD. But guess what? all was useless, and I broke my GameBoy (the LCD only, luckly)
Of course I restored my GameBoy again.

So, I just want to know, is it possible or nah?
Thanks if someone replies.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it'd be nice if we asked BennVenn his take on making an LCD adapter to use NDS screens directly in the Gameboy. If anyone can do it, it's him.

survivorevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess you can if you know the voltage and current required for them to light up. Then you can pull the current from somewhere using the right resistance

Spokenlastchance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do find it weird that no one has decided to make a mod for the ds lite screens. There are a ton of them just floating around they have pretty much the same clarity of the ags-101. I'm not really sure on technical aspects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.