Possible way to backlight original GameBoy with a NDS screen?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Alex4U, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Alex4U
    OP

Alex4U i like pancakes

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    D.F
    I was working on this some years ago. But since I never had success, I gave up.
    Now, since I know more about modding, using resistances, etc. I want to do this again one more time.
    The idea was this:
    Using a broken NDS screen, so, I can take the LEDS (that are the backlight from the NDS screen)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Luckly, I still had some photos saved, so, there is the NDS LEDS Screen I was talking about:

And then, I was going to turn it on on the 3 pins that have the LCD, but I didn't had success, so, I just did this in this case:

Somehow, all the LEDs was working. I was shocked because I never knew it would be working.

Then, connect the LEDs somewhere on the GB motherboard that gave 3V-5V to bring up the backlight (of course I never knew about resistances in that moment)

So, it would look like this (before soldering, I was using a multimeter, checking the pins where were 3V or 5V, but again, I didn't had success.)

I can't remember if I could turn on all the LEDs, iirc, I did it, but it doesn't gave enough brightness, so the other thing I did, was removing the green paper that have the GameBoy screen and remplacing it with the NDS one, and remplace most parts of the NDS LCD to the GameBoy LCD. But guess what? all was useless, and I broke my GameBoy (the LCD only, luckly)
    Of course I restored my GameBoy again.

So, I just want to know, is it possible or nah?
    Thanks if someone replies.

2. Magiyc

Magiyc Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2018
    Spain
    I guess that no.

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Honestly, it'd be nice if we asked BennVenn his take on making an LCD adapter to use NDS screens directly in the Gameboy. If anyone can do it, it's him.

4. survivorevil

survivorevil Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2019
    Mexico
    I guess you can if you know the voltage and current required for them to light up. Then you can pull the current from somewhere using the right resistance

5. Spokenlastchance

Spokenlastchance Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2019
    United States
    I do find it weird that no one has decided to make a mod for the ds lite screens. There are a ton of them just floating around they have pretty much the same clarity of the ags-101. I'm not really sure on technical aspects.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted