Possible USB add ons?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Little, Feb 23, 2007.

Feb 23, 2007

Possible USB add ons? by Little at 8:11 PM (1,103 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I was thinking about the USB ports on the Wii. I was thinking that USB seems like a pretty nice feature because it such a widely used standard.

What add-ons can you see the USB ports being used for?

I think the most obvious and quite welcome addon would be a wireless keyboard. What would be sweet is if it could just work with ANY wireless keyboard rather than a nintendo one! A keyboard would certainly be nice for messages/internet channel etc.

Then theres an addition such as a Webcam, to add Eye-toy style play. Having the motion sensors of the wii remote add the camera could be very nice! Plus could lead to USB headsets for the Wii to have video VOIP and of course we can always dream of a Xbox live style real time chat in games (prefably with no annoying friend code stuff!)

I think a USB ethernet adapter for those who can't do wireless will probably be the first step that Nintendo take on the USB front.

Presuming the USB works like normal USB (I haven't stuck something in there to test it yet), theres always the use of USB for things non related to the wii... cup warmers, lights, fans etc!

I'm probably late with this, theres probably already a wii keyboard aha!

2. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Lemme start by saying, alot of people have shoved their stuff up those slots. If you're a noob, how else would you start thinking: "now how can i hack this console?" But ATM there are no ways to use it that I know of. I think that it can power USB devices, though. (NOT SURE)

3. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yeah, you can charge MP3 players and the like through the USB. And indeed rechargable Wiimote battery packs.

4. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    Yeah, you can charge MP3 players and the like through the USB. And indeed rechargable Wiimote battery packs.

5. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    bluestar did you know in the UK its officially called a wii remote... ha.. you don't care? me either =D

USB Rechargeable wiimote battery packs sound very cool. Are they available at the moment?? Though I suppose it would be near impossible to have it as a play and charge like with the 360!!

6. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    There's some on ebay, dunno if they're any good tho.

7. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    blue star, be aware of your double post. Also, i'm fairly certain that everywhere it's officially called a "Wii Remote" (even in games, such as Zelda, it says "Point the Wii Remote at the screen") but people like us decided that wiimote just sticks. [​IMG] Also I'm sorry if I could/have offended anybody by including the word noob in my previous post. Alot of people (that i know) are offended when called noob.

8. monty0ntherun

Newcomer monty0ntherun Member

United States
    This is the new Wii Powerstation, and I want one!
    Click Wii

[​IMG]

9. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Oh that looks hot!! Can't wait for it to be released.