Gaming Possible to use PokeGen on B2/W2 for 3DS?

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask because the DS can't support WPA2 and, well, I know how to change it to WEP but at the same time I don't know how to change it to WEP since apparently it isn't as simple as "switch from WPA2 to WEP", a bunch of extra options show up in my router's screen that I don't understand and I'm terrified that if I make this change, I won't be able to get back into the router to change it back anyway since my PC is hooked to it over wifi.

This has been a huge roadblock for me for a long time. I would LIKE to e able to get the events I missed since I've tried for well over a decade to do it legitimately but Nintendo's BS insistence on "oh we have online functionality now but let's just continue to fuck with people by making them have to go out to places they would otherwise have no reason to go to for completionist's sake!" I wonder who the idiot was who thought of that. Probably the same one who thought making a DS not work on WPA/2 in the first place was a gr8 idea.

I'd also like to be able to get some hidden abiliy pokemon since apparently surfing the GTS is a huge waste of time because the honor system isn't a thing and there is NO way to specify abilities or held items or other things that should be possible. :l

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The answer to the title question is Yes: you can use the homebrew TwlSaveTool to extract and reinstall saves to DS/i physical games, and the Pokegen software for Windows supports these saves just fine...

I don't understand the text of your post, though: being a DSi game, it does support WPA on DSi/3DS, but the servers have closed (and NitroHax, the cheat engine that would also be used to enable custom servers, doesn't currently work on DSi games

Also, the original DS was invented (before 2004) well before WPA (or wifi in general) became a thing for most people

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer to the title question is Yes: you can use the homebrew TwlSaveTool to extract and reinstall saves to DS/i physical games, and the Pokegen software for Windows supports these saves just fine...

I don't understand the text of your post, though: being a DSi game, it does support WPA on DSi/3DS, but the servers have closed (and NitroHax, the cheat engine that would also be used to enable custom servers, doesn't currently work on DSi games

Also, the original DS was invented (before 2004) well before WPA (or wifi in general) became a thing for most people

I lack a 3DS that has homebrew installed, both my 3DS systems have too new a firmware version to install it, and there is, to my knowledge, no way to downgrade without an already hacked 3DS, so I don't think that option can work for me. If I did have a homebrew console I'd be using event cards on X and Y by now and I was just gonna use pokebank to transfer my pokemon to X and Y from B/W/B2/W2 anyway. I figure if they're legit pokemon nintendo wouldn't be able to screen them and I can just trade them for current-gen events I missed or couldn't get to.

I've tried using my copy of black online before and it failed to connect because it doesn't support WPA2. My router has 2 options for security, a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz section on the page, the 5GHz section IS set to WPA2/WPA mixed mode so if it did work with WPA then it should be able to connect to my router, shouldn't it?

The other consoles of that generation were in development as well at the same time but my PS3 or my friend's gen 1 xbox (that still works, by the way) have no problem connecting to WPA2. They only released, what, a year or two later? And had more foresight than Nintendo. (Big surprise.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can downgrade with hardmod and homebrew access (not possible for free on 11.1, but possible with an exploit game)...

The 5 GHz part will be completely ignored by our consoles, what about the 2.4 one?

The DS didn't sell for Five Hundred and Ninety-Nine U.S. Dollars, I bet :D

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can downgrade with hardmod and homebrew access (not possible for free on 11.1, but possible with an exploit game)...

The 5 GHz part will be completely ignored by our consoles, what about the 2.4 one?

The DS didn't sell for Five Hundred and Ninety-Nine U.S. Dollars, I bet :D

That would likely explain it, the 2.4 section is WPA2 personal, it does have the option of being set to mixed mode but I wonder about the consequences of doing it. As in can I just leave it like that? Other electronics that go through the router are a PS3, PS4, Vita, 2 android tablets, 2 PCs, and a wii U.

Also, a friend of mine mentioned you cannot use the same password when switching security types, is this true? Because we're kind of used to our password and I'm not the only person using the router.

And I also wouldn't know how much a DS cost originally, my first DS was a Lite in 2005 and since I was 14 at the time and it was a christmas gift, well...still I don't think it wouldn't have been much of an expense to include that functionality since a lot of sony's expenses were related to them being idiots with other parts of the hardware. (Doing the then-patented sony thing of "hey let's mutilate perfectly functional existing hardware to make it harder for noobs to develop for because we're elitist pricks.")

Last edited by Kazekai,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, other things will still work if you select both WPA and WPA2, that's the whole point of it :)

What he meant was probably in regard with switching between WEP (5 or 13 characters) and WPA1/2 (8 or more characters)!

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well even if that's true I apparently can't send things to the custom GTS anyway
http://pokecheats.net/pokesav/bw.php
probably because even if the game on 3DS supports WPA, this might not. :/

I really don't want to have to do this the legit way, I wasted 4 hours of my time last night trying to find a specific pokemon with a hidden ability with no success and it was incredibly frustrating.

Last edited by Kazekai,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...