Gaming Possible to upgrade directly from 1.5 to 5.0M33-4?

scooochie4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
Hi there, my friend asked me to mod his psp for him (I have a slim running 5.0M33-4 myself). He is currently running 2.81 so i'm going to upgrade to 3.03 and then downgrade to 1.5 using GTA liberty city. Can I then go straight to 5.0M33-4?

scooochie4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
ShadowXP said:
no, you need to upgrade to 3.52 m33-4, and then you can upgrade to 5.00 m33.

Great, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling I had to do something wierd like that! Dark Alex should make his readme's a bit clearer, it says nothing about that in the 5.0M33 readme

maxtom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
scooochie4 said:
I'm trying to avoid using a pandora since I don't have a spare battery or datel tool. And I have an original Liberty City so I might as well use it!
update to 3.03 first to use lcs hack, but if you have 1.5 upgrade directly to 3.52m33, then 3.52m33-4 and finally 5.0m33-4 (if you ask me, i preffer 3.52m33-4 or 3.90m33-4, with 5.00m33 my psx games doesn't work)
upgrade to 4.01 and follow this tutorial (in spanish, use a free translator like google or ask me) ( http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=312 ) to play with a pandora battery (using it, you will have an unbrikeable psp)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scooochie4 said:
I'm trying to avoid using a pandora since I don't have a spare battery or datel tool. And I have an original Liberty City so I might as well use it!

Forgive me if i'm off-base here, but since you already have a PSP-slim running 5.00 m33-4, why not just do a quick jig-kick conversion to your battery, turning it into a Pandora, do the DCC/MMS thing on your friends (to go directly to 5.00 m33-4) then change your battery back to a regular battery?

It's not hard to do (i did it for a friend a couple of years back, changed his to a pandora battery, used it to d-grade/u-grade a buddy's psp, then changed it back), and it was a lot faster than having to install a few firmwares.

I mean, this is just a thought, and if that won't work for slims (i dunno, i've only hacked a buncha fats) then thats cool, do the LCS thing.

But check into the DCC method. It has treated me well
smile.gif

EDIT:
Oh hey! Post 1,111! Make a wish
tongue.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Hellcat's Recovery Flasher would be a far simpler and quicker method without the need of a Pandora battery at all.

scooochie4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
WildWon said:
since you already have a PSP-slim running 5.00 m33-4, why not just do a quick jig-kick conversion to your battery

I thought you can only create a pandora with a fat? (at least thats how it used to be). In any case, I don't like messing around with pandora's. Much prefer a simple exploit-and-update method.

About this hellcat recovery: If its possible to go direct from 1.5 to 5.01M33 then why hasn't Dark Alex enabled it?! What does hellcats installer do that Dark Alex's installer can't?

6ixtynin9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scooochie4 said:
Hi there, my friend asked me to mod his psp for him (I have a slim running 5.0M33-4 myself). He is currently running 2.81 so i'm going to upgrade to 3.03 and then downgrade to 1.5 using GTA liberty city. Can I then go straight to 5.0M33-4?

There's no possible way to create pandora battery using a slim. You'll need a PSP phat to do that job. You can not go from firmware 1.5 straight to 5.0m33. The best custom firmware (CFW) out there is DarkAlex's m33 CFW. Like ShadowXP said, you'll need to downgrade to firmware 1.5, then upgrade to 5.52m33, then again to 5.00m33. Keep in mind all CFW over 3.52m33 are coded differently and lost 1.5 kernel (which is the reason why you need to stop at 3.52, then re-upgrade). However, you can code CFW 5.00m33 during the process of making the pandora battery. This way, the battery can then downgrade and upgrade directly to 5.00m33. Just remember to backup the eeprom onto your memory stick. This is required if you want to get your PSP battery out of service mode and convert it back to a regular one. Also, 1.5 kernel is required if you want to use homebrew (IE. GPS, Deadleus, SNES, POPStation, PS1, etc). There's 1.5 plugins available for download from the internet. In my opinion, downgrading your PSP using the GTA liberty city UMD method isn't the best way as it can always corrupt you PSP's IDStorage keys. Certain homebrews/apps look to these keys to work. The best and most compatible CFW right now are the m33 CFW's. CFW SE and OE are a bit outdated and alot of homebrews are not compatible with it due to these CFW not using 1.5 kernel. Devhook is for advance user so you might want to avoid that as well.

Lastly, to xist & pika9323, you can not use Hellcat's recovery flasher to mod your PSP. You'll need CFW installed first to even be able to use Hellcat's utility. I think alot people misunderstood Hellcat's utility program. It's not used for modding. It's used for fixing a semi-bricked PSP (that's already modded). Sorry for such a long message but I hope this helps.

yaypsp.gif
yaynds.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no possible way to create pandora battery using a slim.

Wrong...my slim PSP happily converts and restores Pandora batteries. The mobo revision stopped EEPROM write functionality, not the move from phat to slim.

Like ShadowXP said, you'll need to downgrade to firmware 1.5, then upgrade to 5.52m33, then again to 5.00m33.

Wrong. Just use Hellcat's Flasher when you're on CFW.

Just remember to backup the eeprom onto your memory stick. This is required if you want to get your PSP battery out of service mode and convert it back to a regular one.

Wrong. You don't need your EEPROM as you can generate a false one easily. Also with the new IPL's you don't even need to convert your battery back to normal.

Also, 1.5 kernel is required if you want to use homebrew (IE. GPS, Deadleus, SNES, POPStation, PS1, etc)

Wrong...just wrong. There's no need for the 1.5 kernel.

In my opinion, downgrading your PSP using the GTA liberty city UMD method isn't the best way as it can always corrupt you PSP's IDStorage keys

It's patches certain keys...if you're worried do an IDStorage key or nand dump and there's always Chilly Willy's Key Cleaner. There's no big deal about this route it's just not very efficient. In addition completely corrupted PSP's can now be fully regenerated with the latest Despertar del Cementerio's.

CFW SE and OE are a bit outdated and alot of homebrews are not compatible with it due to these CFW not using 1.5 kernel

Wrong...Time Machine.

Devhook is for advance user so you might want to avoid that as well.

Wrong..it's old and redundant.

And your last paragraph show that you haven't read through the whole topic, nor do you understand the uses of the recovery flasher. Once you're on any CFW, other than i believe those dependant on the 1.50 kernel, you can use it to jump to the latest CFW (or an alternative if that doesn't suit). It's far easier to get to CFW and then do a single jump than fiddle about with downgrading and upgrading. Additionally if you have a fully functional PSP on 5.00M33-4 how would you propose to get back to 3.71 M33-4 without a Pandora?

Please be sure of your 'help' before you comment on others. No offence intended but your accuracy was way off....

eric_4_life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
6ixtynin9 said:
scooochie4 said:

There's no possible way to create pandora battery using a slim. You'll need a PSP phat to do that job. You can not go from firmware 1.5 straight to 5.0m33. The best custom firmware (CFW) out there is DarkAlex's m33 CFW. Like ShadowXP said, you'll need to downgrade to firmware 1.5, then upgrade to 5.52m33, then again to 5.00m33. Keep in mind all CFW over 3.52m33 are coded differently and lost 1.5 kernel (which is the reason why you need to stop at 3.52, then re-upgrade). However, you can code CFW 5.00m33 during the process of making the pandora battery. This way, the battery can then downgrade and upgrade directly to 5.00m33. Just remember to backup the eeprom onto your memory stick. This is required if you want to get your PSP battery out of service mode and convert it back to a regular one. Also, 1.5 kernel is required if you want to use homebrew (IE. GPS, Deadleus, SNES, POPStation, PS1, etc). There's 1.5 plugins available for download from the internet. In my opinion, downgrading your PSP using the GTA liberty city UMD method isn't the best way as it can always corrupt you PSP's IDStorage keys. Certain homebrews/apps look to these keys to work. The best and most compatible CFW right now are the m33 CFW's. CFW SE and OE are a bit outdated and alot of homebrews are not compatible with it due to these CFW not using 1.5 kernel. Devhook is for advance user so you might want to avoid that as well.

Lastly, to xist & pika9323, you can not use Hellcat's recovery flasher to mod your PSP. You'll need CFW installed first to even be able to use Hellcat's utility. I think alot people misunderstood Hellcat's utility program. It's not used for modding. It's used for fixing a semi-bricked PSP (that's already modded). Sorry for such a long message but I hope this helps.

yaypsp.gif
yaynds.gif

I'm pretty sure that if you put the phat battery (friend's) into the slim, you can pandorize it with homebrew

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Only the initial batch of slims can write to the EEPROM of the battery so it's dependent upon your Mobo. If you picked up the second wave of PSP Slim or later, then the functionality was removed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies