Hacking Possible to tone up DS volume internally?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The VR1 port - infamous for foiling flashing attempts. As I open up my DS I notice a VR1 and a VR3 on each side of the volume controller. Whatever V stands for I'd assume it's Volume-Related. There is a very tiny metallic screw on top of one of the ports, and it is rotatable. I see it holding nothing in particular so I assume it's probably for internal volume tweaking, much like the GBA's internal contrast tuner. Can anyone tell me what it does and if it's possible to tune something internally to get better volume? I'm tired of barely hearing music on the headphones and enhancing it through software to 400x and ruining the quality.

Steevsee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
VR stands for Variable Resistor.
They are adjustable but I honestly don't know how it would affect your DS.

You could try moving one very slightly (1/4 turn) to see if volume changes but take note of it's original position, as moving it might affect your system in other ways
(The volume slider is also just another variable resistor (VR3) and gets moved all the time.)
Also if they do let you increase volume, your battery discharge time would be shorter.

Just tried turning both VRs on an old board here and they do turn ok but they are a bit hard to "feel" as they are so small and I think that you could easily apply to much force or turn too far, and possibly damage them and your board.

Good luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn