1. Dracari

OP Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    a friend of mine gave me her O3DSXL as its essentially a broke w/o proper charging. and swapping batterys w/ my other 3DSXLgets rather bothersome.

what im curious is till i get a proper replacement port, can i solder a junker/spare USB Cable's Positive/Negative wires onto the PCB on the Power - Input and it work? I know it'd have the cable dangling out the back/bottom till i do a proper fix, but it'd be a stop-gap measure for the time being.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    Get a proper port replacement I have heard it again and again that someone goes "blah plugged a 2amp+ charger to my 3ds and fried it"

3. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    Yes it should work

4. BigPanda

BigPanda GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Amp should not matter as long it is not below the required amount. Voltage is extremely important. If you go higher than the required, it will damage the console

5. TurdPooCharger

United States
    I agree with @Shadow#1 and personally wouldn't risk this mod. @Dracari, are you prepared for the possibility of telling your friend that you killed her o3DSXL in case this mod goes wrong?

Supplying too much amperage can hardbrick the 3DS system's motherboard:
    • If you're lucky, the F1 + F2 microfuses, power supply filter, and/or IC charging chip are the first to blow. These can be replaced, albeit with a rework station.
    • If you're not so lucky, the NAND chip that houses your 3DS firmware and user profile data fries to death. Not a pretty outcome as you can't salvage the data unless you backed up the SysNAND *.bin image beforehand and are prepared to professionally micro-solder in a replacement NAND chip.
    If you intend to continue with this mod,
    Remove the 3DS charger port and solder in place a temporary USB cable with a USB-A male end. Triple check that the (+) and (-) are soldered to the correct pinouts. You can substitute a smartphone's AC charger as the power supply. Check that the phone charger outputs approximately 4.6-5.2 V(DC) and 0.8-1.2 A. Don't push your luck with anything higher or lower for those amps and volts. Also, stay away from newer phone chargers that have fast charge feature (ie, current gen with USB-C).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    E1ite007 and Extrasklep like this.
  6. Dracari

United States
    Initally would only be charging off PC-USB/ this USB wallwart i had for mine that used a USB cable, but figured for a short time measurement sticking to lowcharging devices would of been safe. as for what said friend would say, she hasnt cared about this 3DS since she replaced it with an N3DSXL , and let me have it asi was first thinking of just swapping boards with my ALBW O3DSXL,

7. TurdPooCharger

United States
    Since there's no high stake bricking that o3DSXL for your friend and you, I'd now say go for it if you're already experienced in soldering.
    Don't swap the motherboards if the ALBW o3DSXL is perfectly fine. It would be needlessly risky of possibly damaging its connectors and flex cables.

I verified these pinouts with my multimeter, USB cable (A Male-to-Micro B Male), USB-to-3DS adapter (Micro B Female-to-3DS Male), and n3DSXL (dock contacts).

USB-to-(3)DS(i)-charger-port.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Dracari likes this.
  8. Dracari

United States
    wait the plates next to the charger are connected to the same pins? if so, saves me getting nitty gritty inside

9. TurdPooCharger

United States
    Oh yeah, about that. Except for the o2DS, you can continue to charge 3DS systems on a dock stand even if the inner pins are busted.

If you want to jerry rig the USB cable mod, block off or tape the center of the broken port. Strip the USB cable's (+) and (-) wires and roll their leads into balls. Electric tape the two balls to their respective contacts. No need to solder.

To kinda see what I mean by this, see the Ghetto Battery Mod.

Dracari likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Possible, solder, broken