Possible to run Pasta CFW and Gateway on same N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by skydancer93, Jul 10, 2015.

1. skydancer93
    OP

skydancer93 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    United States
    I have a New Nintendo 3DS XL with the MSET exploit on 9.0.

Is it possible to run Pasta CFW for the DSiWare and GBA games AND also be able to run Gateway on my EmuNAND?

My SysNAND and my EmuNAND are NOT linked, for those who need to know.

If so, how would I accomplish this. I realize that it may need a second MicroSD and I'm not worried about that.

I just want to know if it's possible and if so, any precautions I may need to take?

I DO have Cubic Ninja BTW.

2. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    shouldn't be a problem as far as i read, just go back to sysnand in between. cause an exploit in in an exploits could harm your hardware.

3. skydancer93
    OP

skydancer93 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    United States
    Could you explain that further? I don't quite understand. Do you mean turn the unit off and on depending on what I'm running. Say I run Pasta to run a DS game, then turn it off and then turn back on, install the Gateway exploit again(from my DSTwo as I have the MSET exploit running the older system settings), and then use Gateway?

Want to make sure I do this right this time. Already bricked a Japanese N3DS trying to update it with CIA files, so I don't want a SECOND brick lol

4. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Well I have GW and Pasta in the same N3DS, so yeah, it is possible.
    I simply use Pasta for GBA/DSiWare and GW for everything else.

5. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    just like bring the system back to be able to play nds roms, from any r4i card working on your firmware. before you go to emunand mode (or cfw mode, any cfw needs to be reset from the memory before the next one boots. they shouldn't have anything to do with each other if you reset back to realnand/sysnand (wich should also mean you you can boot your r4i or blue card wich is the same)

6. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    Install a CIA manager (FBI, BBM, etc) on your SysNAND using your GW (it's just easier that way, IMO).

Install a CIA of Cubic Ninja to sysNAND.

Install Home Brew Menu, Pasta, etc on N3DS' microSD.

Install Ninjhax save on physical copy of Cubic Ninja. Install GW save on CIA installed Cubic Ninja.

Use physical copy of CN to launch Pasta, from Pasta you can use the CIA installed copy to launch GW mode.

Install GBA/DSi Ware to sysNAND and play from Pasta.

Easy peasy.

7. Aphixe

Aphixe Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2015
    United States
    Well your still needing to use cubic ninja cart right? so basically why don't you just use mset for GW, and use physical copy of cubic ninja to run pasta? I am trying to find a way to use just gw, so I don't have to have two cards on me.

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Themehax (or HomeMenuHax, I forget what it's actually called) + MSET is the best way now. All you need is your Gateway card and you can boot either with ease.

9. Aphixe

Aphixe Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2015
    United States
    So is this mset allow to boot to gateway or pasta, and then u get to say gateway with cia of cubic. -Update, just used Rxtools 3. and it just works.

Last edited by Aphixe, Oct 23, 2015
  10. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    You could just use rxTools 3.0 + homemenuhax to do everything.
    Or was there something rxTools can't do that Pasta can on N3DS? Can't remember.

Aphixe likes this.
  11. Aphixe

Aphixe Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2015
    United States
    I got themehax to boot homebrew menu, but perhaps i have wrong version of pasta, cuz it crashes, i have 1.3 beta atm, gonna test 1.2. is it possible to setup Rxtools to boot right into pasta?

Last edited by Aphixe, Oct 23, 2015
  12. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Right now devmode is not working for me on n3ds. So no safe sysnand sysupdates and no GW cubic ninja exploit loading (emunand format and 3ds card backup). For anything else like installing and playing virtual console ambassador games she can use rxMode on sysnand no probs.

Last edited by Urbanshadow, Oct 23, 2015
  13. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    I think she's a she, but OK.

14. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Corrected now, thank you. :P

15. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    True, but I prefer to not have the side effects of downgrading my system settings: loss of super stable 3D settings, etc. The other reason for my choice is that I don't usually leave my GW in my 3DS when I'm not using it... 'Cause it's a battery sucking pig.

But if that isn't important to you MSET is indeed your best option.

16. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Pretty much this, but instead installing only CN CIA, install OOT CIA also. Use CN CIA for PASTA CFW, OOT for Gateway Launcher. No need for CN/OOT physical cart.

17. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    And how do you run those CIA's w/o running Pasta, GW or CFW before hand?

18. tivu100

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Last edited by tivu100, Oct 24, 2015
  19. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    I said w/o CFW (custom firmware) not Cubic Ninja. I'm aware or the various 3DS "hax" (theme, browser, etc)... You will still need the ability to run unsigned code to use your installed CIA's of CN/OOT if you are installing them w/ a CIA manager.

Also consider the age of my original post in this thread... Ninjahax was pretty much the only way to launch the Home Brew Launcher back then.

20. tivu100

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Well. When I quoted you, I was aware of the age of the OP and your response. I saw newer response suggested downgraded MSET and ThemeHax. I advise against downgraded MSET due to some people just forget and "Format System Memory" with downgraded MSET which causes brick on N3DS. I meant to say to other people (not directed at you) when quoting you: "this is the better/safer concept to launch both Gateway and Pasta CFW without anything but 9.0-9.2 N3DS with new 'tools'. Avoid MSET downgrade as much as you can!"

Your solution/concept to boot both Pasta CFW and Gateway is good. Now with BrowserHax&ThemeHax allows N3DS to run HBL without OOT/CN, plus PASTA CFW is now made to boot through HBL without the need of CN. Yes, you now can run PASTA CFW on N3DS only with just HBL through BrowserHax/ThemeHax (the first entry point is HBL, not CFW or CN/OOT cartridge). What left is use that Pasta CFW to install CN or OOT cia on to SYSNAND to be used to boot Gateway.

Last edited by tivu100, Oct 24, 2015