Possible to dump GB game saves?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by warmo161, Feb 2, 2017.

1. warmo161
    OP

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    Hi there, I was just wondering, what is the best way to get saves from old Gameboy carts?

I know there are tools to extract saves from GBA games with a DS but is there a version for GB?

For example is there a app that extracts a save using 2 consoles with system link? Just wanting to know what the best way to do it would be, and using the gear I already have would be best...

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    I used a Gameboy Transferer 2 however i don't think you will find these for sales anymore, plus you need a quite old PC to use them.

A modern solution would be the Cart Flasher for GameBoy, it can be used over USB so should work on modern PC's and Laptops without issue.

gnmmarechal, Cosmic_Link and Sliter like this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    IIRC it can be done with a nintendo 64 and everdrive (with the gb transfer pak on the controller).
    i think it could be done in a gamecube with the gba player accessory (however so far i don't remember seeing the homebrew to do it)
    there are also DIY stuff and devices like user above me mentioned..
    i think there is also the retron console, it is is a retro gaming system it can play plenty of consoles including GB, and can manage the saves IIRC

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

PS: DS consoles don't accept GB (and colour) carts, only gba.
    and there is no linking between a DS and GBA, so.. i don't know how you could pull that off...

i think there was a way to connect the gba and the pc with a modded linkinhg cable, but that is ancient stuff and could require ports that your pc doesn't have (like a paralel, serial or whatever)

Last edited by migles, Feb 8, 2017
  4. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Actually this is something I was wanting too, I wnat to show the crazyness of my pokemon crystal to the world lol
    (and testing the possibility of getting aliexpres bootlegs that are made on flashcards and change the game there :B )
    it can't be possible with an parallel port> USb cable? I saw it being sued for some old printers ...
    Well these stuff probably not cheap :/
    I knew an flahscard that you used the link cable on USB to pass the games to it's memory but never really saw much :B idk if we can do it DIY

I know that by taking the circuit off the housing and putting there will not work to play in normal ways, but maybe homebrew and stuff?

5. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    http://a.co/h1prd09
    this thing? you can't use it to extract your saves...
    but maybe you was talking about gba stuff?

even the voltage is different, but i don't know...

6. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    nope, this flash 2 advance one
    https://www.gba-roms.net/img/flash/f2a-set.jpg
    was a flashcard that you connect the GBA on a pc to send the rons to the card, maybe with this cables we could get stuff like getting saves and also that about snding the roms to a possible rewritable bootleg

btw, what about the gba->GC link cable and wii homebrews? to get saves and maybe dump/burn roms? :B

Last edited by Sliter, Feb 8, 2017
  7. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Sliter likes this.
  8. Bent

Bent GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Sliter likes this.
  9. warmo161
    OP

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    That seems interesting, I could live with somthing like that, even though it uses a ancient port (I have a old machine just incase i need it for some wierd reason)

This is really interesting :) Ive never tried a audino but it seems its one of the best ways to do this because of price? (Good luck getting a everdrive etc)

Just wondering about that, would it be possible to make that work on a raspberry pi?

10. Bent

Bent GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    This device was appealing to me because of the fact it used the Arduino, which I had learned a little about with another project. Basically, it is a GB slot and two shift registers to control the cartridge address pins. Could it be adapted to a Raspberry Pi? Probably. But it is designed for an Arduino, both in shape/pinout and the software. You would need to know how to write software to control it on the Pi and how to hook it up. I would say it is way easier to pick up one of these and an Arduino Uno.

11. warmo161
    OP

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    Very true, I only thought about a Pi because I allready have one and because it has pins really

Im gonna have to look into a Arduino probably :)

12. j2k15

j2k15 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    Personally I realize my dumps (rom + sav) with a Retrode + GBX Plugin.
    Another option for saves is Mega Memory Card (or a specific version of the AR) + 64m Smart Card.