Hacking POSSIBLE TO DOWNGRADE BY WIPING HDD?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Doubt it, NOR has very slow write speeds.

They could do the same thing without flash memory. Flash memory is just easier.
eFuses would have been a better solution though, there would be no chance of downgrading any console in that case. Like M$ and now Nintendo with the Switch.
I just checked, it has nor

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Doubt it, NOR has very slow write speeds.

They could do the same thing without flash memory. Flash memory is just easier.
eFuses would have been a better solution though, there would be no chance of downgrading any console in that case. Like M$ and now Nintendo with the Switch.
what the hell is a efuse? ive yet to hear that, and i hope switch is hackable already cause mines not been powered on yet, its been in japan getting airbrushed.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
what the hell is a efuse? ive yet to hear that, and i hope switch is hackable already cause mines not been powered on yet, its been in japan getting airbrushed.
It's hackable, no piracy yet but CFW is released to some degree, you can run homebrew on any firmware version, backup/restore your NAND, backup your eFuse data and keys, and more. And all without anything more than a piece of wire or a paperclip (though this method isn't recommended, a jig you can get for cheap (£2 cheap) is more reliable and safer)
eFuses are bits of data that are actually burnt into the chip permanently. Every time you update the firmware additional eFuses are burnt. Older firmware will check if eFuses are burnt that aren't supposed to be at that version, and refuse to boot if there's a mismatch.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: KiiWii

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Its an internal change of the processor to disallow a previous function. Like old fw versions. It can't be undone. So attempting to downgrade will trip a fuse and give an invalid state.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
It's hackable, no piracy yet but CFW is released to some degree, you can run homebrew on any firmware version, backup/restore your NAND, backup your eFuse data and keys, and more. And all without anything more than a piece of wire or a paperclip (though this method isn't recommended, a jig you can get for cheap (£2 cheap) is more reliable and safer)
eFuses are bits of data that are actually burnt into the chip permanently. Every time you update the firmware additional eFuses are burnt. Older firmware will check if eFuses are burnt that aren't supposed to be at that version, and refuse to boot if there's a mismatch.

so long as it doesnt stop emulation homebrew is all thats needed on nintendo consoles, i dont even pirate anymore i test and buy if its good if not ill get it on steam gog sale harder thing to do on consoles tho esp when everyone plays ps4 just to play fortnight cant borrow anyones games to test em out :/.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
so long as it doesnt stop emulation homebrew is all thats needed on nintendo consoles, i dont even pirate anymore i test and buy if its good if not ill get it on steam gog sale harder thing to do on consoles tho esp when everyone plays ps4 just to play fortnight cant borrow anyones games to test em out :/.
Emulation is possible, and works pretty well, no sound just yet though.
Dolphin apparently runs almost full speed with OpenGL and with Vulkan it should be even better.

Reactions: fatboynate

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Emulation is possible, and works pretty well, no sound just yet though.
Dolphin apparently runs almost full speed with OpenGL and with Vulkan it should be even better.
i cant wait, i havent even seen my one yet the guy i bought from runs a custom console store airbrushed to order mines gunna be all vegeta themed.

*edit* i think i got the answers i was looking for should this one be locked now?

Last edited by fatboynate,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i cant wait, i havent even seen my one yet the guy i bought from runs a custom console store airbrushed to order mines gunna be all vegeta themed.

*edit* i think i got the answers i was looking for should this one be locked now?
Awesome, I always wanted a custom airbrushed console. One of my friends knows a guy that does epic airbrushed cars but I don't know if he'd do a good job with something smaller. However there is a guy on Etsy that seems to do a good job with n3DS faceplates and I do have a small n3DS so I'm going to ask that guy to make faceplates for me once I can decide what I want. They're not cheap so I better get it right the first time.
There might be people who do paint jobs for other consoles on Etsy too. That site has almost everything.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only wanted a backup loader cause buying games on disc cheaper than digital especially when u buy them from places like cex or facebook n using a 2tb hdd without digital games is dumb
Um. You understand that all game discs do is literally copy a signed pkg to the HD. The entire disc always gets copied. So yes a 2tb HDD is very useful.

And for downgrading. Downgrading is prevented using hashes in syscon’s NVS, revocation lists (on ps4/ps vita) and stripping PUP header keys from existing modules. The per cpu key used for metldr and bootloader encryption is programmed using the fuses.

Last edited by reminon,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i plug my ps4 hdd into my pc wipe it shove it back in n update from usb will it work to get it on a lower fw? or is it using a rom to store fw. because i gone got a slim with 5.53-1 and what with 5.05 comming soon i'd say i fBOMBed up.

LOL! You are good. Very funny. No, you can't! PS4's motherboard update it and you are done. Nothing you can do about it.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Awesome, I always wanted a custom airbrushed console. One of my friends knows a guy that does epic airbrushed cars but I don't know if he'd do a good job with something smaller. However there is a guy on Etsy that seems to do a good job with n3DS faceplates and I do have a small n3DS so I'm going to ask that guy to make faceplates for me once I can decide what I want. They're not cheap so I better get it right the first time.
There might be people who do paint jobs for other consoles on Etsy too. That site has almost everything.
Yeah the guy i bought my switch was recommeded to me by a guy on etsy who done my pc case paint job

D

Deleted User

hes right 90% + of the game is installed on the hdd cause loading a 40gb game from a blueray would be cancer for loading times
Yes the game is installed to the HDD and the disc is a key, but it's not DRM, the game is ON THE DISC. With PC gaming the game is not on the discs it is literally just a code for download.

The system the PS4 uses is perfect, allows for physically owning games and at the same time saves the life of the optical drive.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Yes the game is installed to the HDD and the disc is a key, but it's not DRM, the game is ON THE DISC. With PC gaming the game is not on the discs it is literally just a code for download.

The system the PS4 uses is perfect, allows for physically owning games and at the same time saves the life of the optical drive.
are you retarded lmfao pc games have a disc to install them before consoles even used discs lmfao please learn gaming history before saying stupid things.

D

Deleted User

you're clealy 8 years old if u think u are correct :) which means u shouldnt be on the internet making stupid statements :)
lol...I'm not even going to bother....you didn't understand what I wrote clearly.

I hate the internet sometimes.

D

Deleted User

pc games have been using discs as installation media since early 90s bro dont make me have to check ur milenial privalege :)
Yes...and I never said they didn't...

but if you go into a store now in 2018 and buy a PC game it is just a code in the box though or a disc with just the code on it, that is my point. Console games still have the game on the disc not just a code.

I can almost guarantee by the way you are typing I am older than you, not that it matters. Stop making so many assumptions on the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__