Possible to copy a game's save from a legit physical copy to an illegit digital copy on pasta/cake?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by duffmmann, Jun 22, 2015.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    As the title says, is there any way to copy my legit games' saves from actual physical copies of the games over to the digital copies I've downloaded for play via Pasta or Cakefw? If it makes any difference I have an R4i save dongle for backing up 3DS game saves to the computer.

2. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    You'll want to use SavDataFiler to dump your cart saves and import them into the .CIA version.

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Can't you use the save data transfer tool from the eShop for this?

4. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I'm cautious about this, as I understand that it wipes the save on your card, and I'm unsure if this will work with illegit copies. On top of that, if this does work, it would mean I'd have to make a backup of my save onto my computer with the R4i SaveDongle (for peace of mind), and then after the save is hopefully transferred to the .cia version, I'd have to reimport the backup save I just backed up. This is all hypothetially possible, but it seems needlessly long, I'm just hoping there is a way to copy the physical cartridge's save without wiping the save data from the cartridge.

5. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    That should work. I have yet to try this myself, so I didn't want to suggest it.

Yes SavDataFiler only copies the save.

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I did this for 3 of my carts it's much faster.
    I did it with pokemon Y/X/Alpha Sapphire.
    Also it will tell you if it cant move the save.

duffmmann likes this.
  7. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Save data transfer works just fine, but it will remove the save from the game card.