Possible to Back up GBA save type EEPROM

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by harrybuttox, Jul 2, 2008.

Jul 2, 2008
  1. harrybuttox
    OP

Member harrybuttox GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm using Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool v0.1 with an EZ3in1. Is there any tool to extract the saves?

2. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    I'm interested in this as well, I bet Destructobot can help.

Maybe if we all clap our hands and say "I believe in Destructobots." he'll show up.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Hi.

I don't know if the GBA Backup Tool supports EEPROM saves, and I don't have a game pak that uses one to test with. I believe it does support most save types though. To use it go into Save Backup mode (press L until you're there) and press B to write the save from the game pak to a new file on the slot 1 cart.

If that doesn't work you may not be able to get the save with the hardware you have. There are programs designed to transfer the saves from a GBA via certain linker cables from old flashcarts, but that requires a GBA and the proper cable.

Chishm wrote a program that can read and write any save type (I think), but to get the save off of a game pak it requires a slot 2 flashcart that has a filesystem, a DLDI driver and supports GBA software. Furthermore, it requires you to swap out the carts to transfer the save. Some flashcarts won't initialize the file system when hot swapped back in, while others (like the Supercard) force a hard reset when you insert them with the power on. The only cart that I know for certain works for this is the G6 Lite, but there are probably others.

I'm guessing this is not the answer you were hoping for. Getting saves off of GBA game paks is one of the more difficult save related problems. Putting saves back onto them is far easier.

You can get Chishm's save transfer app here: http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/SendSave/i....html#cart_save

4. PizzaPasta

United States
    Thanks for getting back.

What about writing a save to a cart, is that any easier? I have save for a Famicom Mini game that I want to put on the actual cartridge. It seems like most of those options are out for me since I only have an R4 and a 3in1.

5. Destructobot

United States
    The Famicom Mini games are the only ones that might be difficult.

Normally all you need to do is get cart_save (see previous post) and use the FCSR DLDI driver to embed a FAT volume containing the save file into cart_save.gba (DLDI Right Click has this capability built in). You can then run the file on any cart that can run GBA software and it will be able to write the save to the game pak. This won't work for getting saves off of a game pak though, because FCSR is read only.

The Famicom Mini and NES Classic games have some sort of copy protection though, and I don't know if it will affect this process.

6. harrybuttox
    OP

United States
    The one im having problems with is Minish Cap.. That has the EEPROM format.

7. PizzaPasta

United States
    I'll definitely try it out. I ordered the Famicom Mini version of Kid Icarus off of ebay and while I was waiting for it to come, I played it on my 3 in 1. I got really far though and I didn't want to do it all again since that game is hard. I'll confirm if it works tonight. Once again, thanks. You're very helpful as always.

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Reportedly there is a write-enabled version of FCSR, but it's still very experimental. I have not tested using it to backup save files to a NOR-based device with Chishm's cart_save. Once my computer's new power supply comes in, I'll give it a try to see if it works with my Flash2Advance Ultra cart.

I personally backed up my Minish Cap save by using my Flash2Advance USB cable with the FlashManager software, then using a Python script to reverse every 8 bits since FlashManager dumped the save file weird. Obviously without some form of GBA linker cable this method won't work for you. If you're willing to trust a complete stranger you could mail the game to me and I could dump the save for you before mailing it back, but somehow I doubt that's a viable option.

PizzaPasta, did you have any issues following Destructobot's instructions on FCSR usage? FCSR is rather complicated, and if you got stuck anywhere let one of us know and we can attempt to troubleshoot the problem.

9. PizzaPasta

United States
    I can't, the only slot 2 carts I have at the moment is an EEP and a 3 in 1. I'm trying to decide which slot-2 to get soon.

I'm leaning towards an EZIV since it's in my price range but I wouldn't mind something older like an X Rom if I can pick it up cheaply.

I'll let you guys know when I get one though.

10. Destructobot

United States
    The EEP and the 3-in-1 should both work for putting saves onto a GBA game pak, just not for getting saves off of one. Unless...

DanTheMan: Does the write enabled FCSR driver write to SRAM or NOR? If it writes to SRAM then that could be very useful for owners of various expansion packs & old GBA flashcarts.

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    Theoretically it writes to SRAM, but only a certain amount of data. I just got my new power supply in recently and haven't yet tested this like I said I would.

My source for this info is http://dev-scene.com/NDS/FCSR_Tutorial

Also note that the program that injects files into the FAT12 disk image is rather broken. Dwedit created his own program to fix this, which you can read about at my post in http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=15631

12. harrybuttox
    OP

United States
    im using an itouchds and an ez3in1 and when I use cart_save.gba it freezes right when it says "Done. Remove game and then reinsert cart. Press A to write save" well im pressing A and its not doing anything!

13. DanTheManMS

United States
    Well yeah, cart_save requires DLDI, which the 3in1 doesn't have. You cannot use it to dump a save file from a retail game to your computer, but with the use of FCSR you can use it to restore a save file to a retail game.

14. DanTheManMS

United States
    Sorry to double-post, but I have an update. I tested cart_save on my NOR-based Flash2Advance Ultra cart, using the FCSR method with the beta write-enabled DLDI driver, and it did not work. The SRAM on the F2AU remains the same before and after backing up Rayman Advance's save file.

It was worth a shot at least. Shame it didn't work out.

15. iXneonXi

Newcomer iXneonXi Newbie

United States
    I have an R4DS + 3in1 and two of my GBA games are EEPROM (Both Zelda games ALTTP and Minnish Cap). I want to back those up badly.
    Has anyone figured out how to do it with R4+3in1? If I can't backup my Zelda games and their save files with my equipment is there anything I should buy (cheap plz!) to do so? I really hate carrying them with me everywhere, and I worry about losing them and my saves. If I need a Gameboy Advance I do have a GBA SP.

edit: I will try to use the experimental FCS2 with the 3-in-1 and cart_save. Feel free to beat me to it.
    At this rate it seems I will need a linker go get the pesky Zelda and other EEPROM games.