Possible to 9.4 firmlaunch on n3ds without emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neptune, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Neptune
    OP

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Couldn't find this answered anywhere. I am currently running rxtools w/ rei on sysnand. I realize I could run emunand and update to 9.4 but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

2. Neptune
    OP

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    No comments? Even trying to update the emunand to 9.4 causes issues when I tried that. Black screen after "creating home menu items" or whatever it said.

3. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Why would you want to update to 9.4? Why not 9.5 straight? Also, if you don't have to why would you? Is it just because you can?

4. Neptune
    OP

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    You can't upgrade straight to 9.5 without downloading individual cia's. No difference between 9.4 and 9.5. 9.4 is required to play Xenoblade and other 9.4 crypto games.

5. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    what's the problem with getting 9.5 in CIA format?

9.5 is a cooler number than 9.4 /jk

6. Neptune
    OP

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    It's pointless when I can update straight to 9.4 using a Xenoblade cart. In any case this discussion doesn't fix either of the original two problems with using this exploit, can't update emunand without black screen and can't 9.4 firmlaunch without emunand at 9.4

7. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Not sure why the black screen happens. I don't have experience with Reinand but rxTools is perfectly able to support emunand up to 9.5 on N3DS. So it shouldn't happen.
    Could be related to the rom/cartridge you're using to update it but only if it's from different region or something.

Last edited by lemanuel, Oct 8, 2015
  8. grubgrub

grubgrub GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    New Zealand
    Its been a while, but i was using pasta on 9.0 sysnand and firmlaunching xenoblade.
    I could not get the cartridge to load (black screen) but the cia of xenoblade worked just fine

9. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Cakes, rxTools and reiNAND all provide firmlaunch by default don't they? Perhaps only under emuNAND?

10. Neptune
    OP

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Figured everything out. It all goes back to themehax. Themehax is why it's black screening after update.