Possible Pokemon Red (VC) Game Save Modification w/o homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by wildcat2083, Mar 2, 2016.

1. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Texas
    So I Just purchased a New 3DS Pokemon Edition 3DS and stupidly updated to the latest firmware by not paying attention, so I learned unless I feel like doing a hardmod I was screwed, but I decided while I was making a decison I might try to edit the gamesave for the VC Pokemon Red game, thus far the only way I knew to do this was go into the 3DS option under settings, delete the game and save the backup, it indeed saved a 0000001.sav file but it was 128KB vs a Normal game save from a regular GB/GBC/GBA flash cart or Emulator which normally is 32KB in size, the file is 4x larger and as far as i understand the data for the VC version of these games has not changed enough to have the backup be 4 times larger, my question is what would make it that large and is their any encryption or something making the game save backup that large, I've looked at an origional save and this in hex editor and there is a bunch of space that has filler data basically a bunch of zero's, was just looking into a solution to converting it to the 32KB save and then back if need be, if you want any other info ill do my best

btw i did try to rename an original 32KB sav file and load it up in the 3DS it made the VC game crash instantly lol that obviously don't work

Last edited by wildcat2083, Mar 2, 2016
  2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Sorry, not possible. The saves are encrypted with a per-console key.

3. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Texas
    I kinda figured that might be the case, that really sucks

4. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Do you have another 3DS?

5. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Texas
    Unfortunatly no I am New to the 3DS scene and got this primarily because I had some extra cash, one of my family members has a 3DS but I doubt they would even let me use it knowing I was doing any kind of modding even if it didn't effect their unit at all, i pretty well have to either get another 3DS hoping it isnt all updated or hardmod this one, both seem potentially expensive to do (*kicks myself for applying the d*** update*)

6. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Alright. And a hardmod isn't too expensive. It's around $50 for a N3DS.

7. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Texas
    Who in this community would be a good go to person to do the mod? I've already seen the posts and pics, the process seems simple enough if you have steady hands and are careful, but I don't trust myself enough to ruin a brand new $200.00 machine, I like the idea of having the connector port, like used in any other computer or electronics, to be placed under the back plate, its hidden away and there if needed, but I don't have a sodering iron or any tools up to and including even a small enough screw driver to even open the case

8. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    I recommend Hundshamer. I sent my 2DS off to be modded by him and it was a very clean mod. Buttons got knocked out of place during shipping (USPS guy on duty was clumsy). I told him and he fixed it free of charge. Highly recommend him.

9. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    or you can sell it and buy the same model ><

10. Octoling

Octoling Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Same place as [INSERT NAME HERE]
    Get homebrew, then get a save manager, then extract the save and find a gen 1 game editor

11. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Texas
    I could but I really rather just Hardmod it anyway, plus by what I understand by very very carefully backing up the NAND and verifying it several times is safer when messing with the firmware and such anyway

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I seen the general process but I am unable to do that without the hardmod now because I was not paying attention and I guess thought because my wifi was off the update wouldn't be downloaded, anyway through setting it up and what not, it downloaded the update in sleep mode and i was distracted and accepted the shiny anti homebrew firmware

it originally came with 10.2.0-27U its the Pokemon 20th Anniversary Edition

Assuming I got another 3DS and it had a firmware on it compatible, I know their is a way to take the files off that one make some tweaks and apply it to my current system, but I am new to this and would like to do some reading, guides n such, where would I start, i barely understand all the acronyms used for all of this

12. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Are you really sure this works?

13. Octoling

Octoling Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Same place as [INSERT NAME HERE]
    Yes, I do it all the time

14. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    That's good to know. I read on reddit I think that the game displayed a message "Save corrupted, please start a new file" when attempting to put it back, so I had the impression it didn't work.

15. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    [​IMG]

guisadop likes this.
  16. wildcat2083
    OP

wildcat2083 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States