ROM Hack Possible O3DS/N3DS Notification LED colour changer?

Mana_Nightos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not too sure whether this counts in the '3DS ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' section, but guess I'll find out soon enough :)

On Christmas day, TWLoader was released, which allowed users to run NDS ROMs without a cartridge or flashcart. In the settings menu there is a setting which, when you run a game, makes the LED glow loads of different colours. This keeps the notification LED glowing loads of different colours until you either turn of the 3DS or exit to the home menu.

I wanted to ask, is there any way to make the LED glow different colours or single colours when you want, and if so is there possibly a utility that allows you to do so? Of course, I am looking into this myself, and I am going to see if there is a config for this somewhere in the sysNAND.

Thanks in advance!

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
:facedesk:
@MarcusD has made it pretty damn clear that if you mess with the MCU properly you will NEVER get a brick. Yellows8 just made bad code and bricked

really? never knew. guess u learn something new everyday.

yls8 was just on a super fucking ancient firmware which must've had a broken queue which in end made it vulnerable to bricks. Starting with 8.1 (9.0 on non-J firmware) is 100% safe, because Ninty got their shit together, and I didn't bricked by repeatedly spamming LED patterns (how the hell can it be invalid anyways? it's just fucking LED intensity data!), so 4.x ftw!

Mana_Nightos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot @akira123! I was looking for something like this. I'm going to download this and test it out, and hopefully add button combinations that could activate different colour schemes e.g. pressing L+START gives you fading rainbow colours or DPAD_UP+Y gives you purple or something like that :) Thanks again!

Last edited by Mana_Nightos,
Reactions: akira123

kalebplayz125

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Implying the single color LEDs used can magically become RGB LEDs
All the leds are rgb leds the streetpass/spotpass leds light green for streetpass and blue for spotpass and the blue led that tells you that your 3ds is charged lights and blinks red when not charged and the orange led lights orange primarily but with a easter egg makes it light purple

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
All the leds are rgb leds the streetpass/spotpass leds light green for streetpass and blue for spotpass and the blue led that tells you that your 3ds is charged lights and blinks red when not charged and the orange led lights orange primarily but with a easter egg makes it light purple

Nice necrobump :P (although I am contributing to the necrobump as well, but it's too late by now anyway, so whatever)

In reality, the only RGB LED is the Notification LED, which is actually just a red, green, and a blue LED in a single package, it's completely dumb. The brightness is controlled by flickering the LEDs on and off for a certain amount of time.

The other LEDs are just simple LEDs, with the exception that the Power Blue LED is also hooked up to a pin on the MCU so it can also be dimmed by flickering it.

Otherwise the Power LED array consists of two LEDs: a red and a blue one, but they are separate. You can even confirm their location if you crossfade between the blue and the red LED, as the brightspot will be opposite of eachother instead of coming from the same spot.

I don't know what easteregg you're talking about, but there is no code to set the Power LED pink. I mean, it IS possible to make it look pink, but that's only achievable under very very fix conditions, and it lasts less than a second, as MCU_FIRM doesn't let both LEDs stay on. But with a very very specific set of inputs, you could flicker the Power LED between certain states so it stays pink, but it's very flickery, and requires a lot of CPU power to pull it off, and it's been reported that it makes the clock drift if you do this for too long, so I would not recommend anyone actually implementing this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.