Possible Homebrew to Change the Notification LED Light?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Polarise, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Is it possible to change the LED light for the Notification color manually, if even so to a custom color?

2. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    For the color you'd have to physically replace the LED for one with a different color, not sure what the process is for that, I'm sure it's not easy and would require a specific LED, and I believe someone has tried in software, and it irreversibly bricked their system

3. Garblant

Garblant GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Alola
    The 3ds's LED is capable of displaying a ton of different colors, it's merely trying to modify the value that the home menu uses for notifications that would cause problems...

fodder likes this.
  4. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Is it actually? Didn't know that, my bad

5. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Not sure about 'Merica, but in England when a word ends with an s, you don't add " 'S " (apostrophe S) for example my name is Lewis, here is a pen, it's Lewis' pen.

#English lesson on the internet, I apologise in advance!

CatmanFan and Friendsxix like this.
  6. Friendsxix

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    You're correct on both sides of the Pond. ^_^

CatmanFan and swabbo like this.
  7. FlappyFalco

FlappyFalco Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~

Oct 11, 2015
    Ireland
    The deepest recesses of my mind
    Technically both are right. I personally use "s' " over "s's" because it looks neater, but I won't bash anyone for using one over the other. The only problem I can see with the latter is that if the word ends in two Ses, you get a triple S (Ness's), which usually isn't allowed in English, but the apostrophe kinda separates them so IDK.

Even if you disregard Webster/American vs British English, there are several spelling/grammatical things in English that are just up to personal taste. For example: to who/to whom, among/amongst etc. It's really not worth getting triggered over.

Anyway, back on topic, it's be cool to change the colour of the LED, but it's not really worth the risk of a brick.

swabbo likes this.
  8. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    *color waits for grammatically correct people.

swabbo likes this.
  9. FlappyFalco

FlappyFalco Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~

Oct 11, 2015
    Ireland
    The deepest recesses of my mind
    Funnily enough, I use a mixture of Webster and British spellings, so I'm probably the only person on Earth who writes "colourized" instead of "colourise". I don't like -ise. Give the Zs more love!

That reminds me, I don't like it when people spell "Earth", "Heaven" "Hell" or "Sun" with a lowercase first letter... ...or put " 's" after the plural of a letter or acronym...

Guys this thread's gonna get locked or EoFed so fast.

swabbo likes this.
  10. akira123

akira123 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2015
    Yep, it's possible. There's a homebrew aptly named 'MCU Bricker' that displays a bunch of rainbow colours over the notification LED. Here's a video if you're interested:
    Video

The ROM hack CTGP-7 also has a feature that controls the notification LED; whenever you go over a boost ramp the notification LED lights orange, and whenever you go over a glider ramp it lights blue.

Last edited by akira123, Dec 11, 2016
    FlappyFalco likes this.
  11. Kyousak

Kyousak Aye Sir!

Nov 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    It works but if fail at coding and make 1 error you can get an MCU brick that can't be recovered

12. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    @Dennis G he knows how to replace the led

13. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Completely safe

fodder likes this.
  14. akira123

akira123 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2015
    To be honest it's actually not that brick prone. Marcus D (the creator of the MCU Bricker tool, and a tool that allows the power light to be toggled off) stated that it was only risky to mess with on firmware 8.1 or under. I've used these tools a fair bit, and nothing has happened to my 3DS.

Last edited by akira123, Dec 11, 2016