Hacking POSSIBLE FAKE Kingston 2GB JAP MicroSD cards

cynthia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought a MicroSD card a couple days ago, and when I opened it I found out that the printing was pretty crappy
compared the other ones I have. I have a 2GB Toshiba Japan, 1GB Kingston Japan, 1GB Sandisk, 512MB Transcend card and the ones manufactured in Japan all have no problems running Downhill Jam and Castlevania PoR.

But the one I got recently (The one with crappy printing) has a slower transfer rate (Speed tested with SCDS1 "Automatic Speed Detection") than the other Japanese ones, and hangs time to time on PoR. (Didn't test Downhill Jam, but I suppose it would have problems)

For the speed, it's detected as 2X by my SCDS1.

Kingston's website says it's genuine (by a serial check) but I suppose the serial could be duped. I didn't have the time to order another one to check if the serials are the same.

Below is what is printed on the card,

KingstonÂ
2GB
MicroSD

0726K60972V
SD-C02G JAPAN
SDC/2GB (Pb)

The (Pb) is a something that looks like Pb in a circle, it maybe Mb, Pq, Mq - the print is too small and the print quality makes it hard to read, so it's just a guess.

Has anybody else bought a card like this?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 2GB card IS meant to hang on Castlevania: POR, but not very frequently. Doesn't really sound like a fake card to me. The Pb thing inside the circle with the line across it means that there is no Lead content (from my nooob Chemistry/deductive skills >_>), and this sign is present on many Kingston cards I've seen (whether they are Japanese or not, I do not remember).

Test the speed using a USB2.0 reader and post the results. They should be able to verify whether it is genuine or not

cynthia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HD Tach says it's average read 4.1, the reader was a USB 2.0 multi reader (From what I know its a PNY OEM)

Second test says it's 4.2.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ouch? MB/s read speed was 4.2? It doesn't seem real anymore
frown.gif
unless your USB port isn't very good

cynthia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was tested on my Fujitsu laptop. I'll check my other cards, it could be the reader or the USB port.

Maybe I should do a test on all of my cards on my desktop, didn't give it a try since my main OS at home is OSX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night