POSSIBLE FAKE Kingston 2GB JAP MicroSD cards

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cynthia, Sep 20, 2007.

1. cynthia
    OP

cynthia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2007
    I just bought a MicroSD card a couple days ago, and when I opened it I found out that the printing was pretty crappy
    compared the other ones I have. I have a 2GB Toshiba Japan, 1GB Kingston Japan, 1GB Sandisk, 512MB Transcend card and the ones manufactured in Japan all have no problems running Downhill Jam and Castlevania PoR.

But the one I got recently (The one with crappy printing) has a slower transfer rate (Speed tested with SCDS1 "Automatic Speed Detection") than the other Japanese ones, and hangs time to time on PoR. (Didn't test Downhill Jam, but I suppose it would have problems)

For the speed, it's detected as 2X by my SCDS1.

Kingston's website says it's genuine (by a serial check) but I suppose the serial could be duped. I didn't have the time to order another one to check if the serials are the same.

Below is what is printed on the card,

KingstonÂ
    2GB
    MicroSD

0726K60972V
    SD-C02G JAPAN
    SDC/2GB (Pb)

The (Pb) is a something that looks like Pb in a circle, it maybe Mb, Pq, Mq - the print is too small and the print quality makes it hard to read, so it's just a guess.

Has anybody else bought a card like this?

2. cynthia
    OP

cynthia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2007
    Oh, and this was bought from a Korean retailer.

3. 4saken

4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Nov 28, 2006
    The 2GB card IS meant to hang on Castlevania: POR, but not very frequently. Doesn't really sound like a fake card to me. The Pb thing inside the circle with the line across it means that there is no Lead content (from my nooob Chemistry/deductive skills >_>), and this sign is present on many Kingston cards I've seen (whether they are Japanese or not, I do not remember).

Test the speed using a USB2.0 reader and post the results. They should be able to verify whether it is genuine or not

4. cynthia
    OP

cynthia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2007
    HD Tach says it's average read 4.1, the reader was a USB 2.0 multi reader (From what I know its a PNY OEM)

Second test says it's 4.2.

5. 4saken

4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Nov 28, 2006
    Ouch? MB/s read speed was 4.2? It doesn't seem real anymore [​IMG] unless your USB port isn't very good

6. cynthia
    OP

cynthia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2007
    It was tested on my Fujitsu laptop. I'll check my other cards, it could be the reader or the USB port.

Maybe I should do a test on all of my cards on my desktop, didn't give it a try since my main OS at home is OSX.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice