Possible Cheat database idea

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Wombo Combo, Aug 17, 2010.

Aug 17, 2010
  1. Wombo Combo
    OP

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    I had an idea for the cheat database because if someone picks it up they get tired of doing it then there are no updates because a lot of people whine about it and there is really nothing in return for the hard work. I was thinking maybe if we set up some type of donation that went to the people who made the cheat database they would have more motivation to update the cheat database. (Maybe set a limit a month that they need to obtain to update and set it there)

Of course this needs to be looked over by an admin like Costello or someone to make sure they are actually updating the cheats on a reasonable time frame to obtain the donations. Also some rules may have to be met to get the donations and basically don't half ass it.

Maybe possible for multiple people to do it and get donations and maybe switch people over time so everyone can get a chance just depends on how Costello wants it ran if it does get brought to life.

Just an idea, if people really like the work put in the cheat updates they can donate to keep it alive.

People let me know your opinions its was just a thought so don't flame if you think its a bad idea just civilly discuss why you don't think it should be done.

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    A better option to me would be to have it like a WiKi page or an online database, where multiple people could update it. That way it's not down to just one person to update it.

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    But then people would mess around with it.

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    He said multiple people, not ALL people [​IMG]

5. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    You have a point there [​IMG]

6. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    I like the idea of a wiki database,
    Another idea branching off that one would to have an online database that could output the users cheat file type on request (different flashcarts) although I'm not sure how hard something like this would be to code.
    Basically it would be like r4cce but online.

7. MF Tlaxcala

Member MF Tlaxcala GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    currently there are more people on cheats.gbatemp with the same ideas. Maybe there will be a new begin soon! [​IMG] (or.. i hope soon..)

8. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    a wiki would be a good idea [​IMG]

9. kiafazool

Member kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    yea there are like 8999 but they only lurk instead of doing something
    i actually started to update the cheat database and it will be updated only a 1-2 days basis depending on how much cheats are posted and how much time i have
    i talked to elix and he agreed to give me a sticky on the cheat forum and i can post the updated database there
    look for it there and i will release todays database later

10. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I wonder how difficult this would be for Costello to do? Could a customized version of filetrip be able to do this?

We know Costello coded Filetrip, and I notice that it uses SQL commands to search for downloads. I'm guessing you could import and export the cheat database in XML format to the DB behind filetrip, A-Z categories and each game having an entry in the revelent category. You already have permissions on filetrip, as their are moderators.

It's obviously a lot of work, but a lot of people link/ come to GBAtemp for their cheatDB's.

I guess you could do it a WiKi page, but the XML file is 15MB's. Even if you seperated it into A-Z pages, it would be a mess. I know there are aso a few DB extensions for WiKi such as http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Special...al%3AAsk&q= but that would be hardwork, and require a local mediawiki install to experiment with.

11. Wombo Combo
    OP

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    I will be willing to donate to the cause of a regular updated cheat database no problem, multi user update team would most likely be the only way. Also having the cheat file in the native flash card format would be ideal.

12. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    but having a natinve cheat format isn't possible