Gaming Possible Cause for Poorly Quality America's EShop

canaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Reading "Iwata Asks: Nintendo eShop", I think the America's eShop has not going so fast because problems with tax:

Iwata:
But tax rates differ even within a single country.
Nakaya:
Yes. The server team in America is working on that. Add to that our financial, accounting and legal people in the various countries, and there are so many people from so many countries involved in this project that it takes forever to decide anything.

What we're having the most trouble with right now is tax rates in America. In America, tax rates are determined by state, city and county. There are about 60,000 postal codes, and usually, once you know the postal code, you know the tax rate, but the tax rate in some areas isn't determined solely by the postal code.
Iwata:
The postal code isn't enough?
Nakaya:
Nope. It gets a bit complicated, but…should I go into it? (laughs) In America, some areas with the same postal code straddle state lines. For some reason, the postal zone wasn't determined together with the state boundary.

Since the postal code doesn't determine the tax rate in that area, once you punch in that number, you have to choose which area you live in. We've been wrestling with these details in each country for quite some time.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/i..._43817.html#top

ps. I Don't know how this was written, so I don't know if the problem is fully solved.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
I just think the prices for the EShop are ridiculous.. really at £7.50 a pop for most (poorly made and short) DSi Ware tat. I can't understand paying that much for a rubbish, short SOFTWARE game, we're not even paying for the plastic and the components to make it.

It's like when the Kindle first came out and the digital books were more expensive than the real copy, wtf was that all about?!

I don't think I'll ever be buying anything from the Eshop, they could at least lower them to £5..i guess it's to do with our ridiculous tax in the UK at the moment too...or they just think 3rd party games are worth it! :wtf:

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The tax is a pain in the ass, but what they need to change is how you buy the games.

When they said there were no more points and you would use real currency, it sounded like the PSN. If a game is $3.99, you put in your CC number, and it charges you $3.99. With this, you have to buy the dumb set prices like $10, or $20. Then you get screwed over with extra money on the 3DS that can only be used there.

It's just a trap for them to get more of our money, but that is the only reason why I have not bought anything on the eShop.

Sorry, kind of off-topic but it really grinds my gears.

Edit:

Also, since we are buying a virtual game, I would think they would be allowed to get away without charging tax. Or they could atleast include it in the price. I don't really know how those things work though. I'm not an economist.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting...
iTunes, Android store, Steam and other e-shops somehow are able to deal with different tax rates in different states ?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
awssk8er said:
With this, you have to buy the dumb set prices like $10, or $20. Then you get screwed over with extra money on the 3DS that can only be used there.

This is why I would never purchase anything from there. Making you purchase set increments that don't even line up with how things are priced on the store is criminal.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
lilsypha said:
awssk8er said:
With this, you have to buy the dumb set prices like $10, or $20. Then you get screwed over with extra money on the 3DS that can only be used there.

This is why I would never purchase anything from there. Making you purchase set increments that don't even line up with how things are priced on the store is criminal.

And the UK E-Shop cards (if they are ever released) will come in £15 and £25 values, which is frankly ridiculous. Can't they have a system that works?

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if every 3ds user just suddenly switched to Delaware...I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't mind

pachura said:
Interesting...
iTunes, Android store, Steam and other e-shops somehow are able to deal with different tax rates in different states ?
Yea but they know what their doing, even a Nintendo fanboy has to admit that Nintendo kinda sucks at anything to do with e-shop

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Fear Zoa said:
What if every 3ds user just suddenly switched to Delaware...I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't mind

pachura said:
Interesting...
Yea but they know what their doing, even a Nintendo fanboy has to admit that Nintendo kinda sucks at anything to do with e-shop

Apple HQ is in America
Nintondo of America and Europe both limp along with what Nintendo Japan says and does, trying to do things to the same business model

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basically the problem is Nintendo inability to provide a reasonable e-shop. To blame it on taxation is laughable, they're a huge company and taxation shouldn't be an issue.

Izzy011

The Business Bitch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:

pachura said:
Interesting...
So if I change my address to Delaware, I won't get charged with sales tax?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Interesting...

Because Nintendo is lying to us. This a mare excuse so they can continue to give their home country more content than they do the rest of the world.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
pachura said:
Interesting...

Because Nintendo is lying to us. This a mare excuse so they can continue to give their home country more content than they do the rest of the world. Remember Nintendo was a Hitler supporter during WWII. Ripping off the rest of the world is their way of getting revenge.
Could you show me where you found that (regarding Nintendo's support for Hitler)? I never knew and am really interested in reading about it.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
chartube12 said:
pachura said:
Interesting...

Because Nintendo is lying to us. This a mare excuse so they can continue to give their home country more content than they do the rest of the world. Remember Nintendo was a Hitler supporter during WWII. Ripping off the rest of the world is their way of getting revenge.
Could you show me where you found that (regarding Nintendo's support for Hitler)? I never knew and am really interested in reading about it.
That's obviously BS.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hitler part totally was. Nintendo was accused by jews of supporting Nazis during ww2 because nintendo used to have the Germen symbol of peace in their products. There is a hidden room with this symbol even in the NA copy of SMW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt