Hacking Possible Brick? WII won't read any disks, makes odd noise

Golla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there newb here
So I soft-modded my wii (I got the wii wayback when it first came out on release day, updated to ver. 4.3u, used letterbomb and the instructions found here , Installed bootmii as boot2 and priiloader)
and I was pretty happy with it, even burned a couple of my games to dvd's so I could play the back ups with success, then my nephew was over at our house and tried to boot netflix, (i had since before i softmodded, forgot that it was there) said it never loaded, and ever since then my wii won't read my burned dvd's or my originals, instead just makes this noise (just the first 10 or so seconds of the recording)
http://vocaroo.com/i/s19Yhdbtgna4
did my nephew brick my wii?
I'm willing to provide any additional info as neeeded

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it was something that bricked. I think that you just busted your disk drive. Not sure if its because of the burned copies or not but the same thing happened to me. I can't read any disks anymore but it's ok because ever since then, i've been usb loading. I recommend seeing what that is because i don't think this is fixable unless you get another drive. might be wrong though idk

Golla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it was something that bricked. I think that you just busted your disk drive. Not sure if its because of the burned copies or not but the same thing happened to me. I can't read any disks anymore but it's ok because ever since then, i've been usb loading. I recommend seeing what that is because i don't think this is fixable unless you get another drive. might be wrong though idk
did yours make a similar sound?
EDIT: It should also be mentioned that since this has happened netflix also doesn't work on my ps3

Golla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't understand is how trying to use a burned dvd, that i have used before and have a save file from, could make my physical dvd drive break, but hey I'm pretty new to this so i might be the dumb one here

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Drives, especially the laser, are subject to wear and tear. Backups are said to wear the laser faster.

I don't use netflix so I can't offer much help.
Since it won't work for your Wii and PS3, its probably something in common, say your network?

Golla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then make backups and convert them to WBFS files and load them from USB/HDD.
Problem solved.
I was hoping that I'd be able to salvage the disks I had, but I guess not. Thanks for the advice, Strange that it happened so suddenly after netflix not working however

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol