Possible Brick? WII won't read any disks, makes odd noise

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Golla, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Golla
    OP

Newcomer Golla Newbie

United States
    Hi there newb here
    So I soft-modded my wii (I got the wii wayback when it first came out on release day, updated to ver. 4.3u, used letterbomb and the instructions found here , Installed bootmii as boot2 and priiloader)
    and I was pretty happy with it, even burned a couple of my games to dvd's so I could play the back ups with success, then my nephew was over at our house and tried to boot netflix, (i had since before i softmodded, forgot that it was there) said it never loaded, and ever since then my wii won't read my burned dvd's or my originals, instead just makes this noise (just the first 10 or so seconds of the recording)
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s19Yhdbtgna4
    did my nephew brick my wii?
    I'm willing to provide any additional info as neeeded

2. uribemaster

Member uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think it was something that bricked. I think that you just busted your disk drive. Not sure if its because of the burned copies or not but the same thing happened to me. I can't read any disks anymore but it's ok because ever since then, i've been usb loading. I recommend seeing what that is because i don't think this is fixable unless you get another drive. might be wrong though idk

3. Golla
    OP

Newcomer Golla Newbie

United States
    did yours make a similar sound?
    EDIT: It should also be mentioned that since this has happened netflix also doesn't work on my ps3

4. Golla
    OP

Newcomer Golla Newbie

United States
    What I don't understand is how trying to use a burned dvd, that i have used before and have a save file from, could make my physical dvd drive break, but hey I'm pretty new to this so i might be the dumb one here

5. tswntk

Member tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    Drives, especially the laser, are subject to wear and tear. Backups are said to wear the laser faster.

I don't use netflix so I can't offer much help.
    Since it won't work for your Wii and PS3, its probably something in common, say your network?

6. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Well then make backups and convert them to WBFS files and load them from USB/HDD.
    Problem solved.

7. Golla
    OP

Newcomer Golla Newbie

United States
    I was hoping that I'd be able to salvage the disks I had, but I guess not. Thanks for the advice, Strange that it happened so suddenly after netflix not working however

8. tswntk

Member tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    Maybe you can try this first