Hacking Possible brick after updating to 4.3, bootmii installed but can't

paintispaint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my Wii to 4.3 (was planning on just letting it break the HBC and all, then rehacking it after) and now after the health and safety screen I get to the menu for about half a second(music plans and errthan), then it freezes and a very loud buzzing starts. I had installed bootmii when I first modded my wii (2010...9?) and made a backup, but that SD card has been reformated since then and the backup I had on my HDD went out when it died last year. I remember I had to have an SD card with some files on it to even boot into bootmii (otherwise Id just go to the health and safety screen like normal) so I had my friend do a fresh install of bootmii on his wii and upload the bootmii folder that it put on his SD card, but this hasn't gotten me into it.

Question 1: does updating the wii system uninstall bootmii?
Question 2: Am I 100% screwed here? I've read something about recovery mode, but I'm not sure if that'd be any help, and I've read that you need to press all four dpad directions at once on boot to get there, and my gamecube controller has some sort of pin in the center to prevent that it seems. Obviously I don't mind sacrificing a GC controller to get the wii working, but I have no idea if that'll even help.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
If your Wii is White then you can boot bootmii when you startup the Wii. Try this video (This only works if you have bootmii as boot2 installed)

Bad Idea removing/deleting your NAND backup. Backup as quick as possible when you fix your Wii

EDIT: Bad idea updating your Wii. If you want to update your System Menu/Firmware use ModMii.

EDIT2: Also install Priiloader then in System Hacks you enable: Block Wii Disc Updates, Move Disc Channel, Block Online Updates. Will someone let me know if I have forgotten something?

EDIT3: If this doesn't work open up your Gamecube controller, then remove the plastic thingy then before turning on your Wii, press all the four D-pad in the GC controller then turn it on. If you get to the Recovery mode then search in the Forum about the Unbrick Discs (Forgot the person who posted it).

paintispaint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to hear. Just don't forget to make a NAND backup, install Priiloader and BootMii.
Yeah, in the end I did a factory reset on it via the system menu in maintenance mode, then used the modmii guide to get bootmii and preloader on and then make a backup. Dayum that was scary though, thought I was gonna have to get a new wii for awhile.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to hear. Just don't forget to make a NAND backup, install Priiloader and BootMii.
Yeah, in the end I did a factory reset on it via the system menu in maintenance mode, then used the modmii guide to get bootmii and preloader on and then make a backup. Dayum that was scary though, thought I was gonna have to get a new wii for awhile.
you didn't have to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on