Hacking Possible 2DS motherboard revision to block hardmods

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been doing hardmods for over a year now. I must have done over 100 hardmods since last year. Yesterday, I failed to do a hardmod on a newly purchased 2DS, the electric blue model. It was purchased in Canada recently and shipped with 11.0.33u firmware. Even before I had problems with the accessing nand, I already noticed something weird about the unit. Usually, 3DS/2DS motherboards had labels on the terminals. This is how we identify DAT0, CMD and CLK. In this particular unit, there were no labels on the motherboard. During, nand access through a Windows laptop, it was able to detect the nand and was mounting as a removable flash drive. However, whenever I try to read nand, a cyclic redundancy error would occur at 0%. I have never experienced this. Usually, when there is an error with it would read to a partial percentage then give the error never consistently at 0%. I must have tried 5 times stopping only to prevent the bricking the device. To make sure my hardmod setup was good, I tested it on a 3DS XL and had perfect results. So, I redid the hardmod on the 2DS this time double checking the terminals. This is where I discovered that the CLK terminal was not working properly. It would sometimes read as an open circuit when tested against ground. Usually, there should be resistance between that two but never an open circuit. This is how I determine good connections on the motherboard. Not able to get a good connection to CLK and without any alternative terminals on the 2DS board I gave up on the hardmod. The problem with the CLK could either be designed by Nintendo or is simply a manufacturing error. However, after noticing those revisions on the motherboard it is possible that Nintendo is taking steps to prevent hardmods. I was always wondering why Nintendo kept those terminals accessible all these years. The only probable reason was insecurity with their design or manufacturing. Since the launch of the 3DS there have been reports of sudden bricks and BSODs. Those terminals were probably there to give Nintendo a way of recovering units sent back for repair.

Differences with previous motherboards:
1. The NAND chip was neither Samsung nor Toshiba. I couldn't identify it.
2. There were no labels on the the terminals.
3. CLK terminal was not working.

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that you're even using the right pad for CLK? Since they're not labelled, they may have changed some traces while keeping pads in the same place. You could probably compare this motherboard to an old one to see if the two CLK pads appear to go to the same place.

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've already sent the unit back the owner. I forgot to take a pic. I'm sure its the right pad.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you sure that you're even using the right pad for CLK? Since they're not labelled, they may have changed some traces while keeping pads in the same place. You could probably compare this motherboard to an old one to see if the two CLK pads appear to go to the same place.
The thing is the pad works intermittently. I could get a good read on the multitester at times but never consistently. The terminals are in the same place. I'd experiment on it if the unit was mine.

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: guisadop

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it's just a revision, the o3ds xl had a similar revision made, the most notable difference is that they integrated the WiFi board into the motherboard rather than having it clip on, as for pinout, it's exactly the same as the original pinout, but the nand they are using is the 1.8gb nand used on n3ds consoles, this means you will need a n3ds nand compatible reader

Reactions: Zidapi

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have one of the "NEW" 2DS models with the blue face, and it indeed has a larger NAND chip, 1.88GB when not using NANDmin.bin, but a full dump.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Was the dump done through hardmod or dsiwarehax?
seeing as he said when not choosing nandmin, that would imply he was using decrypt9 to dump his nand, but as I mentioned they are just reducing costs and using the same nand as they are using on n3ds consoles even though they still only use 900mb on these revised 2ds consoles

a9lh works as normal, hardmods work as normal and it uses the standard 2ds nand pinout

the only hardware revision so far that had any bearing on hardmod's was the revised small o3ds that had an extra clk point that made hardmodding easier

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
seeing as he said when not choosing nandmin, that would imply he was using decrypt9 to dump his nand, but as I mentioned they are just reducing costs and using the same nand as they are using on n3ds consoles even though they still only use 900mb on these revised 2ds consoles

a9lh works as normal, hardmods work as normal and it uses the standard 2ds nand pinout

the only hardware revision so far that had any bearing on hardmod's was the revised small o3ds that had an extra clk point that made hardmodding easier
Thanks for the input. I think I can adjust to make the hardmod work now knowing that the nand chip is similar to those used on the N3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the input. I think I can adjust to make the hardmod work now knowing that the nand chip is similar to those used on the N3DS.
yeah you will just need one of the card readers listed in the n3ds hardmod thread, personally my rdp8k has worked on every different model/hardware revision including these newer 2ds's

sparky28000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This explains why I wasn't able to hardmod a new 2DS which also had no silkscreen. This was a 2DS from the Yo-kai watch bundle which also came with 11.0.33 EUR.

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This explains why I wasn't able to hardmod a new 2DS which also had no silkscreen. This was a 2DS from the Yo-kai watch bundle which also came with 11.0.33 EUR.

I'm using a card reader with a GL827 chip. How about you? @gamesquest1 suggests to use another card reader, based on the fact that the nand chip is similar to those used on the N3DS units we should use compatible card readers. However, I've had no problems on N3DS units with my GL827 reader in the past so I'm still not sure that it's the root of the problem here.

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using a Transcend TS-RDP8K (ALCOR AU6476) and the card reader from my laptop. The one from my laptop worked on an old 3ds.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get my a similar unit for myself so I can do more tests. Maybe you should try dsiwarehax instead.

sparky28000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hopefully, I'll be able to get my a similar unit for myself so I can do more tests. Maybe you should try dsiwarehax instead.

I returned the 2DS. I tried to downgrade using the system transfer method and SUDOKU but I must have screwed something up because SUDOKU was recognized as installed but not showing on the home screen so I couldn't launch it.

Spore2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I returned the 2DS. I tried to downgrade using the system transfer method and SUDOKU but I must have screwed something up because SUDOKU was recognized as installed but not showing on the home screen so I couldn't launch it.

I was able to make dsiwarehax work on this unit. Must be something with your system transfer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455