PS1/2 Possibility of Tales of Destiny DC English Patch

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a software engineer. If you tell me your requirements the most detailed way possible maybe I can help you guys.

Have you ever worked with PS2 software or game hacking before? I'm not really sure how detailed I can get when I'm not a programmer myself... And we're looking for someone who can look at the files and work their way around this stuff and has the dedication to figure it out. Would you be able to do that or not?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Gemini might be worth contacting as he did all the hacking for absolute zero translations

I'm not sure how to contact Gemini for one, and it's been mentioned multiple times that former A0 members have not offered any help to any patches. I don't know Gemini personally, or whether or not they'd be willing to help, but if you know how to contact them then that would be appreciated.

Babuji12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Kazenadama, just wanted to reach out and mention that I'm a software developer that's interested in contributing to the coding side of things. Just made an account so I cant send you a direct message, so thought this would be the best way

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Kazenadama, just wanted to reach out and mention that I'm a software developer that's interested in contributing to the coding side of things. Just made an account so I cant send you a direct message, so thought this would be the best way

Hey thanks for reaching out. I'm not sure if you can see the direct message I sent or not, but if you can't then please let me know how to contact you elsewhere. If you can see it but can't reply (not sure how limited new accounts are) then I'll send you my info in another one.

Reactions: Babuji12

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where do i go to stay up to date with these translations. like whats the discord server for absolute zero

We aren't associated with A0, and please don't ask about other projects on this thread.

Updates for this project will be slow. Sorry, but at the moment we don't have a public channel for updates.

Loremm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why dont you guys create a Discord? I think it would help a lot with organizing and bringing more people interested in the project.

Last edited by Loremm,

RandyHP21

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You guys aware of that guy on youtube called "Peter Nguyen"? Or you all is just the same people? If not you guys can check his youtube channel and join their discord

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Um... You guys not wanting to show anything about your project and just rejecting every help we're offering here is just suspicious...

If you're not working on the project you should just say it is cancelled because you're in the way of people who actually want to work in this translation like @pnvnd https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCddQBNmhjmRskTjlYoVmzUg

He started working a few weeks ago and he's been showing a lot of progress in youtube and on a0t discord server.

There's a lot of people who's been waiting for this translation for so many years and many of us are willing to help even through donations or anything.

Last edited by Deleted member 546040,

straylize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to stay out of this thread since this project is in prelim phases while other members of our team are hard at work on Destiny 2, but it seems like we need some clarification here.

I'm the lead editor and project co-lead on Destiny 2, and intend to be the lead editor for Destiny DC on the project kazenadama has been scouting for. We're looking for people who have the experience to do what we need for that project without tying up our D2 programmer until that project is done. The things we've seen from the existing thing being worked on simply doesn't suit what we need, based on our experiences with the codebase in D2 and the similarities they share. We aren't just rejecting all help, we just know what we're up against and what tools are required; things like hex editing doesn't really suit what we want to use in the long term. We're trying to build a second team so we can work on these projects in tandem, as we want them to be consistent.

As for not having a public discord, there's a reason for that too, and that's because it's my call. We're currently not at a point on either project where we want to publicly show things off; I don't have any interest in performatively showing off progress until I feel we've gotten enough done and at the quality standard we're aiming for. There's also the fact that we all work full-time jobs and do not want or need added pressure from anyone else; nobody is entitled to know our specific progress on any project until we feel ready for it. This is a personal decision and one I think is for the better, because I'm not into feeding unrealistic expectations, and timelines or deadlines we cannot meet. I understand people want to see progress, but I care far more about the quality of our work than just showing bits of progress; it tends to be illusory when working on games of this scale.

All that said, we're doing this for free. On our own time. If our pace and progress doesn't suit anyone and you'd rather follow someone else's project, it's not our place to stop anyone. I'd rather keep quiet on what I do and let our eventual work and efforts speak for themselves. These, for me especially, are passion projects. Destiny DC is my favorite game of all time, and I know it pretty well forwards and backwards—it's an experience I want to be able to share with people in the absolute best form it can possibly be, and I want it to feel as close to an official release as possible when that time comes. Taking donations isn't going to make us move any faster, and I don't really have any interest in taking anyone's money because this is a project I've wanted to do for years out of pure love for the games (and because taking money for something like this feels incredibly dubious, imo).

Again, this is something we do because we want to, and it's a thankless sort of job with how much text there is; the script and skit text alone is over 185,000 strings of text, which is more than double Destiny 2's script and more than D2's total strings, in general. These are slow moving things that take time, and we don't implement and test every string of text as we translate them.

My apologies if this comes off kind of harsh, but it's a bit frustrating to put time and effort into projects you're passionate about, only to get pushback for not going as fast as people would like. If it's really that necessary to show we're working on it, it's not out of the realm to provide proof of concept screenshots, but as as I said at the start, DC is still in preliminary/planning phases for a multitude of reasons.

Last edited by straylize,

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would appreciate it if you would stop assuming this is dropped just because you aren't seeing the things you want to.

We are still in the recruiting phase, but as straylize mentioned, due to our work on D2, we know exactly what it is we're looking for in terms of programmers. I've also talked with our D2 programmer for input on anyone who's requested for help--as I can't program myself, it's not a call I can make. He's clarified to me exactly what it is we need from a programmer, so naturally, I cannot accept anyone who cannot meet those requirements.

I have DM'ed everyone who requested to help, if they were not a beginner programmer. A lot of those DMs I never got responses to, while some of them gave me helpful hints, or info related to the menu (a lot of it was stuff that pnvnd later posted). But none of them were capable of taking on a full patch. At the moment, we're still in talks with the most recent guy to offer, since he's specifically working on a skillset related to PS2 games. I don't know what's going to happen there, though.

I also would kindly request that you not act like we're getting in the way of someone else's project. The only thing I requested of pnvnd is to not post about his project on my thread; and he complied with that. At the moment, their project is probably getting more traction, anyways. But just knowing how much of a mess DC files and programming are, I can't predict how far their current methods will get, and it's why we didn't join forces. Also, it's not impossible for two separate patch projects to co-exist.

A lot of people want to see this game come to fruition, and I understand that after A0 dropped it, it's a hot topic for a lot of people. But that's no excuse to go making wild accusations just because we are not at a point you want to see yet. If this thread starts turning into harassment, I will start reporting people.

My final request is to please stop posting things unrelated here, and keep this thread on topic so that we aren't filling it up with a lot of unrelated discussions. We will show off stuff when we're ready, and that might be quite a ways off as we're still in the planning stages.

Thank you for understanding.

Reactions: Haytham and Pado

xcore1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you guys are doing amazing work, take your time and don't let anyone pressure you. Even if it takes 5 or even 10 years. Your work is still very very much appreciated.

It will be amazing to see some of the JP exclusive tales games without a translation finally in english. Rebirth, Destiny 2, Destiny DC..........maybe someday I hope to see Tales of Phantasia X in english. That new battle system in Phantasia is too fun, and the Narikiri Dungeon X battle system is pretty damn fun too.

Alaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Greetings.
To the translation project team, I wish you guys the very best, a fun and educational journey and sweet fruits on your labor. I know for a fact that it is only uphill endeavor but the journey itself is worth it and, if you end up with a patch, all the more a worthwhile experience. I would also like to wish you a safe and meaningful 2021

To all the supporting people on this thread, thank you for upholding the proper spirit. Our support and proper behaviour only encourages the project to progress.

To the people that have been asking of stuff, l will speak my pov. You seem, at the very least, insulting.
The team and the project are no one's property than their creators' and in no way is anyone, not actively involved in the development, entitled to anything. I would be grateful if some one could explain how this project is "getting in the way" of other projects because it does not accept help or show off their progress. Because my brain tells me that this is the way to *not* get in anyone's way. Or how it's shady that they do not show anything off. They are not getting paid so they are obliged to no one's demands.

Honestly, @PacaPaw's comment ticked me off so hard and I am not even part of this business, I found it being presuming, offensive, entitled and highly contradicting, not to mention the lack of patience.

Anywho, I wish everyone involved godspeed. If donations become a thingie I will probalbly be glad to offer my cents.

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, just a small update.

We're now kicking our project into gear, and have officially begun work translating the text, and have gotten quite a lot of it dumped. We also are no longer doing public recruiting, as we have enough hands now for the project on the programming and translation+editing side of things. Thanks to everyone who has offered so far, and even if we were unable to accept the help of all who wished to join, your thoughts in wanting to make this game a reality are really appreciated.

I can't say for sure when we'll be able to show off our progress, but we're excited to get this project off the ground!

Reactions: Loremm and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why do people start translation projects with no intention to finish them? If I knew how to translate games, I'd crank them out like crazy. Some translation projects seem to get attention, just to feel stalled for what seems like forever.

*Stares in Summon Knight Sword Craft Story 3* :creep:

Reactions: Loremm

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, sorry for being silent for so long, but we finally have some news!

First, we've officially announced and launched the Lumina Destiny project! We've prepared a lot to show for the D2 side of things in our blog post here.

And we have officially announced it as a duology project, including DC! While we don't yet have much to show off on the DC side, we did prepare a few screenshots for this occasion.

dc_05.png
dc_06.png
dc_07.png
dc_08.png
dc_09.png
dc_10.png
dc_11.png

Thank you to everyone who's been patient until we had something to show, and we're excited to show off more in the future! Please follow our blog or our twitter for future updates!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +3
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1