Possibility of Sega 32x/SCD emulation on DSTWO?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Recorderdude, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Recorderdude
    OP

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    Hey, I know stuff like PSX and N64 will be impossible on DSTWO, but perhaps the Sega 32x could be emulated? It's only got 256 MB RAM and 3d hardware emulation is not impossible on the DSTWO (Check out I-ROBOT in mame4all) I wouldn't expect 3D games like virtua fighter to run extremely well, but perhaps simpler games like chaotix (not counting the polygonal special stages) and space harrier could work?

Also, I was wondering about sega CD emulation. The SCD is a far less powerful machine than the 32x, except for CD Audio. This brings me to the question, Would the DSTWO's harware have the same problem with CD audio playback/emulation that the DS itself has? (Emulation speed is halved when playing 44.1 mhz CD audio, as happens with NitroGrafx)

It's just speculation for now, but could any of this work?

2. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    32x hardware would need to be emulated first. Also, it's very unlikely the DSTWO is fast enough to run Genesis + 32x add-on at full speed.

In short words, it's very unlikely you will ever play 32x games on your DS.

3. rocketen

Newcomer rocketen Member

Ireland
    If someone ports picodrive segacd emulation is certainly possible.

4. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    I think the read/write of the slot 1 is too low.
    O.P. Did you mean KB?

5. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    Hmm, allright, 32x is no. [​IMG] That is sorta what I predicted.

But does anybody know if the Dingoo (DSTWO) hardware has the CD-Audio Slowdown issue? It would REALLY make most of the popular SCD Games (Sonic CD, Night Trap) nearly or completely unplayable, having the audio going twice as fast as the video.

6. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    No, Megahertz....wait...AH, I screwed up. I meant 44.1 KILOHERTZ. What happens with the DS's hardware when emulating CD console (TG16CD is the only one so far) Most of the Power goes toward playing the 44.1 Khz CD audio, leaving the games runnign at about half speed. (If you wanna know what I mean, play ai cho aniki in nitrografx and on the second screen dont kill the flying heads and wait for the music to stop. The game gets twice as fast (normal speed.) Does the DSTWO (dingoo) hardware have this problem?

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No.

Being addons they run in addition to the genesis, adding more cores (of varying architecture) that need to be synched properly. This is annoying/hard even for a PC.

Not happening.