Hacking Possibility of rollign back firmware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Here is a post from a different site, not sure about the credibility or exact procedure to use. Downgrading? This is in response to having a bricked PS3 from the PSP app.

QUOTE said:
I finally got mine back on track. I was using the recovery menu. I was using option 5 and 6. After removing the battery out of my system for 14hrs, I couldn't get past the 50% mark. I tried and formatted 3 different drives, formatted them in other ps3s and/or zero-filled them. That didn't work either. Used 3 different flash drives and 2 external hard drives. Didn't help. I ultimately used a game for the firmware. The game I used was Demon Souls. When I had that in the drive and only that (along with the controller of course) it made it to 100%.

I was using 3.41 originally. Now the firmware is 2.71. I got my other os back. It locked up for a moment when it booted up to the xmb, but its ok now. I didn't know that was possible to rollback firmware. I hope this helps someone else out.
Does anybody have more info on this, or is anybody willing to test it?

How to access the Recovery Menu.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 1.94
Demon Souls - 2.71
(I can't find a list with info on more games.)

EDIT: Typo in the title... rollign = rolling.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice! Looks like some progress is being made. Now if they could just sort out getting the online to work with the hacks then I'll be one happy camper!
nayps3.gif

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it asks you to "Connect storage media that contains update data of version x.xx or later...." x.xx being the last version that was installed. this trick may work, however I don't think im going to be testing it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The above post was from a user who bricked their PS3 with the fake PSP hack which supposedly ran "manufacturing_updater_for_reset.self." This caused his PS3 to be bricked by running it from the XMB with PSGroove or another method for loading unsigned code.

Maybe this file erases or breaks the firmware (this would explain why the PS3 XMB screen is not there but recovery mode is still accessible) which allows you to install any firmware (technically you wouldn't be downgrading so the system would allow it) which that user did from the disk

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
So, if I'm reading this correctly this is a way for people on 3.50 to downgrade back to 3.41?

If this works and Sony doesn't patch it immediately would this mean I could update to 3.50 buy a ton of stuff from the PSN and then downgrade and keep the stuff? I hope so. When the hacked PSP got ousted from the PSN I couldn't download all the Disgaea 2 DLC packs. I don't want this chance to pass me by.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kayot said:
So, if I'm reading this correctly this is a way for people on 3.50 to downgrade back to 3.41?

If this works and Sony doesn't patch it immediately would this mean I could update to 3.50 buy a ton of stuff from the PSN and then downgrade and keep the stuff? I hope so. When the hacked PSP got ousted from the PSN I couldn't download all the Disgaea 2 DLC packs. I don't want this chance to pass me by.

No it is said that there is a possible chance for 3.41 to downgrade to a older firmware, but I wouldn't recommend it just yet.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - The only currently-known way to mess it up to this point is on a hacked system already. I want to confirm that it's a reliable method (in which case the fake PSP emulator might actually be a tool), then perhaps people can try the exploit on a firmware that has OtherOS... and if that works that could open the door to way more development as people would have OtherOS and it's hypervisor drive to poke around in as well.

2 - If there's another way to fuck it up to this point on an updated system, I want to get any info I can about that as well, as obviously it'll mean downgrading is possible after 3.41.

3 - From what I've read, when you downgrade/hack your activated content deactivates.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe I am paranoid but Sony`s DEVs are reading threads over here as interested as we are. Don't worry they WILL get it fix very soon. But lets hope this needs a hardware mod to block it so all current console will be unblockable.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sao Mortel said:
Maybe I am paranoid but Sony`s DEVs are reading threads over here as interested as we are. Don't worry they WILL get it fix very soon. But lets hope this needs a hardware mod to block it so all current console will be unblockable.

Sony devs, if they even do lurk on forums like this, have very little chance of being on these forums. Furthermore they probably already know about this.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if they did lurk on these forums. ITT Tech reps are literally paid to surf for hours on end for any forums against them and then send said forums/tpics to a group that quickly destroys the topic with some brilliant trolling.

In this case if I was a Sony dev/rep I'd stay quiet and watch. It's cheaper to let the community figure this out than to hire a group of pro hackers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.