Possibility of modding controls?

Kekkon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few years back the ps2 homebrew community made a universal controller remapper that can be used to patch new controls in games.
This is incredibly helpful for old games like Shinobi which had backwards X-Axis (yes, X, as in horizontal left = right) by default and can't be changed.

Is there anyway to do something like this for the original Xbox?
I've tried my hand at modding Otogi in the past, another game with inverted horizontal camera, but to no avail as I don't really have the know how for such a thing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know.

On the one hand the controller is essentially USB and being a microsoft system it probably runs a USB HID part of an OS at some level. If you can poke that then you can change things, it is certainly what later systems do for this sort of thing. On the other hand for the xbox I have never seen such a thing, never seen a keyboard and mouse redirection script which would be functionally similar and homebrew is homebrew so it can do what it likes. Not sure what Steel Battalion (for others playing along at home mech game with full cockpit) used offhand.

Naturally you can also go on a game by game basis but it would be as complex as controls modding usually is (not massively as you are editing a game within its own scope, not a day 1 beginner project though if you first have to analyse things).

You can also go the hardware route -- buttons is buttons, switches is switches, choice bits of wire and a knife will send whatever to whatever. I can understand not wanting to slice up a controller s at this point in time though.

I had missed there was such a thing for PS2 games. Wonder what method they used. Also I am trying to recall that Shinobi game controls (a friend got it based on fondness for the megadrive offering, despite the N64 and PS1 stumbling their way into 3d I don't think we got burned as hard with those as we did here), don't remember it being bad controls beyond something "for a PS2 game" would handle but it was probably still 2003 at that point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: ONG.