Hacking Possibility of an OLED screen mod on an unpatched Switch

samarston

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo announced the OLED model switch today and from what it looks like, there isn't any major hardware upgrades.

I think we'll have a more definite answer when it's launched, but given that the resolution of the panel hasn't changed (possibly the same pin connector), how likely is it to use this panel on an unpatched switch? Having a nicer display with all the homebrew benefits would be the only thing that would make this upgrade worthwhile for me.

Would you get this model/panel if such a thing was possible?

Reactions: darthnater4ever

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo announced the OLED model switch today and from what it looks like, there isn't any major hardware upgrades.

I think we'll have a more definite answer when it's launched, but given that the resolution of the panel hasn't changed (possibly the same pin connector), how likely is it to use this panel on an unpatched switch? Having a nicer display with all the homebrew benefits would be the only thing that would make this upgrade worthwhile for me.

Mostlickly will be a new connector as it was changed from Vita 1K to 2K as an example

Reactions: samarston

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We will have to wait and see.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
No, you can't and don't even think about it. OLED and LCD technology are different, as are the internal hardware drivers on the motherboard.

The big difference is that in LCD there are inductors to turn on a tube to backlight the screen, in the OLED version each LED lights up by itself. Trying to replace an LCD to install an OLED will be more expensive than buying an OLED Switch.

Reactions: MUDD_BR

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you can't and don't even think about it. OLED and LCD technology are different, as are the internal hardware drivers on the motherboard.

The big difference is that in LCD there are inductors to turn on a tube to backlight the screen, in the OLED version each LED lights up by itself. Trying to replace an LCD to install an OLED will be more expensive than buying an OLED Switch.
Agreed, people try to do this with laptop screen upgrades all the time. "Can I take this 1080p laptop and buy an aftermarket 4k screen that is the same size and put it in there...?" No, no you cannot.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Agreed, people try to do this with laptop screen upgrades all the time. "Can I take this 1080p laptop and buy an aftermarket 4k screen that is the same size and put it in there...?" No, no you cannot.
I said this simply because I wanted to say the limitations in each technology of the displays and their connectors. But let's see, let's imagine that in theory it can be done, so let's take these differences into account and find a solution.

Oh, and excuse my bad English, this is a mere translation...

First of all, you will need to know about reverse engineering, and know what pins and format the Switch screen uses (Original/Lite/Other variants) and the OLED screen to adapt. Then you need a signal converter between the two, an FPGA, or controller that also powers or backlights the OLED screen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I found this.

https://github.com/dekuNukem/Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering/issues/71

According to what they say there, the LCD of the Switch uses MIPI DSI (I can not confirm it), apparently the AMOLED also use this technology, there it is fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was thinking of converting the MIPI DSI signal (Switch) to HDMI and from HDMI to MIPI DSI (OLED / AMOLED). But on further investigation it seems that MIPI DSI already accepts LCD / OLED, so what I once said was impossible ended up being possible? It remains to be seen if the Switch video chip accepts OLED through its MIPI DSI port.

Last edited by Imancol,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well supporting or not I'm sure "China" could always make a conversion kit for it, hope someone do it and not being the price of the switch it self either :)...

Anyway I found what looks like a nice LCD kit for the switch but can't find much info on it...

LCD+touch mod:
upload_2021-7-21_16-30-19.png
upload_2021-7-21_16-32-30.png

Does anyone know if this LCD mod is real and worth it??

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
When they start selling replacement OLED Switch screen, there will be nothing about it to retrofit that same OLED screen into an old Switch.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When they start selling replacement OLED Switch screen, there will be nothing about it to retrofit that same OLED screen into an old Switch.
Sure but a China full kit to convert LCD to Oled could appear, however the price would probably be too high to matter...

And anyway with the upcoming steamdeck and being to play probably the whole library of PC games, bye bye switch .

Barely used my switch as I don't like most games and now with current gen consoles I don't think they will bring more AAA games unless Nintendo finally update the hardware.

Reactions: samarston

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would probably have to bring with a whole different front plate to swap the whole internals as the original would require a lot of work to be able to fit a 7 inch display...

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
As more i look at it as more i think it would be possible. If you look the layout of buttons on the OLED model you can see that everything is in the original place, so there is a big chance that the mobo is the same. Also if you go buy screen replacement for phone screens in Aliexpress you can see that for almost all of AMOLED models you can choose to buy a cheaper LCD alternative which means that there is a chance that you can connect the new screen to an old mobo. Although probably the price for a new OLED screen + new shell will be at least 100-120$

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well supporting or not I'm sure "China" could always make a conversion kit for it, hope someone do it and not being the price of the switch it self either :)...

Anyway I found what looks like a nice LCD kit for the switch but can't find much info on it...

LCD+touch mod:
View attachment 270623
View attachment 270624

Does anyone know if this LCD mod is real and worth it??
its real basic what they do is loca glue the lcd directly to the digitizer which removes all the internal spacing

so you dont get the glare from the digitizer / lcd as bad and it looks clearer as light doesnt bounch twice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father