Porting PlayStation 3 games to the NGP is ‘simple and quick,’

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nujui, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida said that porting Ps3 games to the NGP is a "simple and quick” process.

“We were very focused on this area from the start,” he said in a recent interview with Edge Magazine . “This is, again, a lesson learnt from the PS3. We had to make the development environment for NGP as ‘easy’ as possible.”

“Based on this expertise – and also the working habits they developed working on the PS3 – we had to make development on the NGP as natural as possible – an extension of the PS3, if you will. So the three demos you’ve seen – Lost Planet 2, Ryu Ga Gotoku [Yakuza] and [Metal Gear Solid 4] – they prove porting is simple and quick, but it doesn’t mean that’s all you can expect. My view of NGP isn’t just as a platform for porting PS3 titles.”
    [/p]
    Source

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cool if your on the go, but wouldn't you rather play console games on a console? Very cool nonetheless.

3. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    From my PoV, I don't see this as merely for having the same games on both devices, but for allowing companies to change their focus of development should a game work better for the other device than what they are currently developing it for.

4. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    Well more then likely allot of companies will be adapting their games for this with the PS3 fiasco going on.

5. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It says NPG in the first line

6. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    oh man I can't wait for more rehashes

7. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Woops, typo. It's fixed now.

8. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Well, maybe if we are lucky some companies will allow us to use some activation code with the Playstation 3 game purchase to download or send a port version to the NGP. It will probably have some restrictions but it would be nice to switch from console to portable like that and have saves and trophies that can be carried over.

9. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    So where you can pay extra with certain Blurays to get a digital version of the movie with it, we can expect a PS3/NGP "Bundle Edition" of almost every PS3 exclusive? Now that's something I'm not interested in at all...

10. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Well some companies might give it for free while others may charge for it or avoid it entirely. To me it is like EA and some other companies removing content they already made to add DLC to a game in the hopes of receiving more money or Capcom adding DRM to some of their games that Sony doesn't force you to add. Not all companies will screw you every chance they get but most of them will.

11. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No. Some of us don't care for being tethered to a television in order to play a game. I enjoy being able to take my games with me, or being able to play in any room of the house without a hassle.

Anyways, anything Sony can do to foster development on the next handheld is a positive step. The PSP failure was not enough in the hands of gamers, coupled with expensive production costs meeting with smaller return compared to other systems. If the cost is low to take an already prepared PS3 game and add PSP to the lineup, then more companies may do that just to expand the market.

Hopefully it will also minimalize the number of bad port abominations like Marvel UA 2 and Ghostbusters.

12. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    From what Sony says they're encouraging game developers to make the NGP ports have different content.

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    This might be Sony's trump move with DRM, going to an almost Steam-like way.

Just think, you buy a PSN title, and you can play it on the NGP or PS3. No physical media. Ultimate control.

14. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    just like you cant play illegal wii VC's and whatnot on a wii, or DLC and XBLA games on (jtag) 360.......

15. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Can't wait! I'll be able to play everything I can do with a dualshock on an HDTV! Except on a tiny little screen in my hands. And then I won't be able to play anything else.

16. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    People aren't getting it. The NGP can run the same code as PS3 games, but graphics will probably still need to be lowered. PS3 games won't just automagically work on the NGP with a quick copy-paste or convert to eboot.

17. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So basically we can expect multi-platform Sony games in the future, released for the PS3, and the NGP.

18. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That would imply the NGP having a Cell processor, which I doubt. Considering all the demos shown are "ports", it doesn't mean it'll run actual PS3 code. The code itself was most likely re-compiled to the NGP format.

19. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Is that not what I said? I think you're getting your terms confused, or taking me for a simpleton. The executable itself isn't the "code" to which I was referring. I was referring to the source code of the game itself.

And not this kind of Source Code either.

20. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    if they can port ps3 games to NGP what about PS2 games?