Porting original Wii USB drive to WiiU

tony_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi folks. I have an original Wii running USB Loader GX from an emunand with a ton of games on a USB hard drive.

Is it much work to get it to work with the WiiU?

Is there a tutorial for this?

Thanks, Tony.

tony_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as you have the same apps on the vWii, you're good to go.
I've just seen the following message

External hard drives must be connected to the upper back USB port of the Wii U to be detected by vWii. This cannot be the same external hard drive you use for Wii U games.

from here: https://www.homebrewgeneral.net/2019/06/vwii-modding.html

Is this old information or is it still true?

I've just bought the WiiU second hand thinking it would be a good replacement for the original Wii (play newer games like Zelda and Mario Kart 8 as well as old Wiiware and Wii games all from a USB drive) but it seems it's not possible, or do I just need a second hard drive for WiiU games plugged into the front of the WiiU?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it much work to get it to work with the WiiU?

Not really. You'll have to install cIOS wads on your vWii. MAKE SURE you use ones for vWii, if you use the wads for Wii you will probably end up bricking your vWii. Aside from that, as long as you setup USBLoader GX on your vWii correctly, it should use your external drive just like it would on a Wii.

External hard drives must be connected to the upper back USB port of the Wii U to be detected by vWii. This cannot be the same external hard drive you use for Wii U games.

from here: https://www.homebrewgeneral.net/2019/06/vwii-modding.html

Is this old information or is it still true?

Pretty much still true. In regards to "which USB port" you have to use, I think it may depend on the cIOS that you use.

The bigger issue is that no, you cannot use the same hard drive for both Wii U and vWii. The Wii U formats hard drives in a proprietary way before using them, and nothing else (that I know of) can read this proprietary format.

Indeed, if the hard drive is plugged in while you're using the Wii U, it will most likely prompt you to format it. You can avoid this prompt by using UStealth, which effectively "hides" the drive from Wii U, while still allowing it to be used in vWii.

tony_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I changed tack godreborn. I thought it would be easier setting this console up than I thought. I bought it second hand, and it had haxchi/cbhc/mocha on it. I had hoped to just install a forwarder in the WiiU menu and it would open vWii USB loader GX, utilising the setup from the original Wii, as well as being able to install WiiU games on the NTFS portion of the drive.

RHOPKINS13, I've installed d2x-v10-beta52-vWii into the 3 slots as directed here - https://www.homebrewgeneral.net/2019/06/vwii-modding.html?m=1 as well as the USB Loader GX vWii redirector, plus the UStealth boot.dol on the USB:\\apps\USBLoader GX folder. I think my problem is now the hard drive needs a double power plug; I've ordered one.

While I'm on a good thing and I haven't outstayed my welcome here yet, I'll throw in one more question.

Do I need mocha and rednand? If not, what's the best way to go? My plan is to make this console as kid friendly as possible. Thanks for the help guys/girls.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

1 st solution:

vwii mode (wii games) ==> external hard drive plugged into the back of the console.

wii U mode (Wii U games) ==> external hard drive plugged into the front of the console.

2nd solution:

a single external hard drive (format in Wii U format ==> with TeconmoonWiiVCInjector for wii and Gamecube games, and wii U games), plug into the back or front of the console.

You choose :D:yaywii:

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no mocha or rednand is needed. the easiest would be cbhc, but with kids, I'd advise against it in case they were to format the system or something. haxchi with default=sysmenu might be best, but all retail games minus eshop only or most dlc requires cfw. I'd install haxchi, install just retail games. all they'll have to do is boot the game normally and without cbhc or brick risks.

Reactions: jeannotte

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know for sure if vc injects need cfw. they use the title key of rhythm heaven iirc, so I'm not sure if that's an eshop or retail game or if that even matters.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
so you do need signature patches?
Now I suppose that by injecting a wii game, you have to maintain A or B while launching haxchi, so no more need for "signature patches".

see with other members more proven than me on this subject.
For me I only know a few basics.

Thanks for your understanding @godreborn :shy:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, haxchi has sig patches if you do default=sysmenu or in your case a=sysmenu. it would be easier to use default, since you won't have to push any buttons. plus, don't you have to use the gamepad for the button presses since it's a ds game?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, haxchi has sig patches if you do default=sysmenu or in your case a=sysmenu. it would be easier to use default, since you won't have to push any buttons. plus, don't you have to use the gamepad for the button presses since it's a ds game?
@godreborn

I just tested:

when I run Haxchi without holding A or B, and I run "sig patcher", I land again on the wii U menu (here is my configuration).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested a vc inject by uninstalling cbhc, seeing what happens, then reinstalling cbhc:

without cbhc:
20211125_112142.jpg

with cbhc:

20211125_112822.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.