Hacking Porting Firefox to DSTWO, anyone?

Would you help?

• Of course!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Nahhh...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. I'm superkidmax, and I own a DSTWO. As I was using DSi Browser one day, I noticed how unbearably slow it was. I waited long for basic websites. Then it flashed me: If I have a DSTWO, why let its special qualities go to waste? With the DSTWO's incredibly fast processors and extra RAM, my DSi could be an awesome web-browsing machine!

Think of full web browsing on the DS/DSi. It would be a DS fan's dream. It brings good thoughts and possibilities to my mind. And a smile to my face.
smile.gif

No, I'm not asking ANYONE to make it for me so don't even think of trolling and flaming. What I am asking for is pure help from some fellow programmers. Oh and more about myself, I know some C++ too.

What I was thinking of is porting an open-source web browser to the DSTWO. I was thinking of something like Mozilla Firefox. And we may possibly get the Mozilla team to help us a bit too.

I just wanted to share my thoughts with the community. If people like it, I might make a team and make my first real project
biggrin.gif

Thanks for reading guys
wink.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
3686922873_78e66b9e92.jpg

Navegators needs some extra RAM like Ez-Flash 3 in 1 or GBA Expansion Pack and Firefox consume so many RAM. Besides, this exist since 2006.

Do you think the SuperCardDSTWO has a CPU with the power like N64/GC or something?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, it'd make a lot more sense to port Fennec to it, since it'd be better to port a low-power browser than a full-fledged one. Too bad Fennec is for ARM architectures, while the DSTWO is a MIPS device.

BTW, I'm sure the DSTWO should come with some RAM of its own, onboard. 16MB or maybe even 32MB.

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just remember that the DS and DSi don't have the fastest internet connection speeds, even if you make use of the DSTWO's extra power, you still won't be able to obtain much faster loading times.

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
3686922873_78e66b9e92.jpg

Navegators needs some extra RAM like Ez-Flash 3 in 1 or GBA Expansion Pack and Firefox consume so many RAM. Besides, this exist since 2006.

Do you think the SuperCardDSTWO has a CPU with the power like N64/GC or something?

Well, N64 has 93.75 MHz and GC has 486MHz, and the DSTWO has 400-500MHz. Yes, I think the SCDSTWO has a CPU with the power like N64/GC.

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Matt140 said:
Just remember that the DS and DSi don't have the fastest internet connection speeds, even if you make use of the DSTWO's extra power, you still won't be able to obtain much faster loading times.
With DSi Browser I always get the out of memory error. That's what I want to avoid.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A homebrew internet browser is not a good idea, period. Let's say you successfully port Firefox or whatever the others are suggesting, it's not about processing power but the connection itself. Current wifi libs are slow as fuck.

Unless you're planning on writing them from scratch I say the whole idea is pointless.

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pendor said:
A homebrew internet browser is not a good idea, period. Let's say you successfully port Firefox or whatever the others are suggesting, it's not about processing power but the connection itself. Current wifi libs are slow as fuck.

Unless you're planning on writing them from scratch I say the whole idea is pointless.
I never really had a problem with wifi homebrew, it always connects within 10 seconds.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
superkidmax said:
Pendor said:

I never really had a problem with wifi homebrew, it always connects within 10 seconds.

The problem about wifi is regarding speed, not establishing a connection.

And the fact that you're still unaware of this clearly shows that you're incapable of pulling this off.

I don't mean to be an ass but seriously, do some research first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.