Homebrew Suggestion Porting FBI to the Switch?(good or bad idea)

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Now now don't yell at me
Would it be nice to have FBI on the switch too
Yeah sure we have tinfoil but fbi is the best game/dlc/update installer out there
I know that fbi installs cias only but that can be changed right.
Why don't you make fbi cross platform like cbeckpoint for example
Is it possible to port FBI to the switch and edit it to install nsps instead of cias

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no reason to really port FBI to Switch. It should stay on what it was designed for. However, it would be nice to have a version of tinfoil with some clean GUI and perhaps a file manager.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Erm.... I don't think there's any point to that. At most, set up a Switch TitleDB-like thing and add support for it to existing NSP installers, or add some of the other stuff it had, like a pretty UI and such. It's not like it matters much. Not to me anyway.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
it's not a bad idea, it's probably faster to port FBI to switch than to create a similar looking and functioning app from scratch.
(fbi is more than just the one function of 'install game')
people love to reinvent the wheel for some reason.

Bad because it can't be done because they are entirely different systems. /thread
do you know how porting or programming even works? when you have the source (it's on github), you can do things like this.
porting isn't necessarily easy or fast, it can involve a lot of work. but of course it can be done!
you are not a mod, you cannot close threads lol

Last edited by cearp,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We already have FBI on the Switch; that's basically what Tinfoil is designed to be (they're both title managers).
Yes.

But I guess the question has more to do about porting the same GUI the lastest versions of FBI use, doesn't it?

Not sure if Tinfoil already has an easy looking GUI.

Reactions: NoNAND

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.

But I guess the question has more to do about porting the same GUI the lastest versions of FBI use, doesn't it?

Not sure if Tinfoil already has an easy looking GUI.
Adubbz already said he's going to start work on the UI since most of the basic functionality is there already.

Reactions: Olmectron

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I think that would be cool, if nothing else for the nostalgia. Afaik all FBI features could be replicated on the switch
I was thinking how young does one have to be to get feelings of nostalgia from FBI (because it's not exactly a long time ago)... then I saw your age on your profile, it makes sense :D
(no offense!)

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted-351540

I was thinking how young does one have to be to get feelings of nostalgia from FBI (because it's not exactly a long time ago)... then I saw your age on your profile, it makes sense :D
(no offense!)
It's a pretty clear case of "username checks out" lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now now don't yell at me
Would it be nice to have FBI on the switch too
Yeah sure we have tinfoil but fbi is the best game/dlc/update installer out there
I know that fbi installs cias only but that can be changed right.
Why don't you make fbi cross platform like cbeckpoint for example
Is it possible to port FBI to the switch and edit it to install nsps instead of cias

Do you honestly think you can ''port'' a cia installer homebrew from 3ds to switch?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Do you honestly think you can ''port'' a cia installer homebrew from 3ds to switch?
do you honestly think that's it's impossible for the port to install nsp files instead of cia files?

port doesn't have to mean 100% identical. (and if it does in some tech dictionary, it's obviously not what the OP intends)
just reuse the program, replacing all the 3ds specific stuff with switch stuff.
easier said than done sure, but that's programming, no one said it's easy.
but like i said above, it would be faster than rewriting a fbi clone from scratch. (as long as the code base is good, i heard compliments about steveice's code so i guess it's fine)

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: NoNAND

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you honestly think that's it's impossible for the port to install nsp files instead of cia files?

port doesn't have to mean 100% identical. (and if it does in some tech dictionary, it's obviously not what the OP intends)
just reuse the program, replacing all the 3ds specific stuff with switch stuff.
easier said than done sure, but that's programming, no one said it's easy.
but like i said above, it would be faster than rewriting a fbi clone from scratch. (as long as the code base is good, i heard compliments about steveice's code so i guess it's fine)
In my dictionary port means copy paste from original console to targeted console.
Also don't you think it would be easier to just make it from scratch? You are the dev not me, so Im legit wondering.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
In my dictionary port means copy paste from original console to targeted console.
Also don't you think it would be easier to just make it from scratch? You are the dev not me, so Im legit wondering.
It's not as simple as copy and paste, sometimes it could be pretty easy.
I have been in the process of porting an old game to current gen, modernizing it.
Not just a port but a whole improvement.
It would have taken me much much longer if I had to write all the game logic myself!

Reusing FBI for its menu and base, not a dumb idea like some people in this thread think.
Reusing the cia installation code? Yeah of course not. :)

Reactions: Olmectron

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands