Portal 2 DLC #1 will be free

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Zorua, Apr 30, 2011.

Apr 30, 2011

Portal 2 DLC #1 will be free by Zorua at 7:31 AM (2,561 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Zorua
    OP

Zorua Newbie

[​IMG]
    Though short on details, Valve hasn't wasted any time confirming its plans for Portal 2 DLC. After a massive launch just over a week ago – Valve says Portal 2 is its "fastest-selling" release since Half-Life 2! – the famously generous developer has outlined what it's calling "Portal 2 DLC #1."

For the asking price of $0, DLC #1 will offer "new test chambers for players, leaderboards, challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes, and more." While free DLC on the Steam-powered PC and Mac platforms is nothing unusual coming from Valve, DLC #1 will notably be "free of charge" on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well. Of course, adding Steam to the PlayStation 3 release was always intended to allow for this scenario, and we can only imagine Microsoft didn't feel comfortable with the Xbox 360 being the sole platform charging for otherwise free content.

Portal 2 DLC #1 is "targeted" for release this summer; it's not clear if that estimate is Normal Time or Valve Time, so don't mark up your Stephen Merchant calendars just yet.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source

2. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Yay! I hope it has some good content. I LOVED Portal 2 so much, I look forward to this DLC (and what comes after).

However, it's the mods I look forward to the most.... Mmmm... custom made test chambers.

3. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Awesome, but I just want PSN TO BE BACK ON so I can activate Portal 2 atleast!

4. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Valve never charge for *real* DLC (unless it's on Live, because Microsoft don't like DLC).
    And no, hats don't count as DLC, because they don't even add anything to the game.

also this was pretty much confirmed within hours of the original release (for PC, that is)

EDIT: Also, there's some DLC coming exclusive to owners of the Razer Hydra, featuring more obvious gravity/physics gun tools: http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/hydra/portal2
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How about the crafting system? Does that count? Or any one of the other numerous huge updates? Hell, there's even a nice beta server. For an inexpensive game, that's DLC up the wazoo!

I'm looking forward to this!!! Just like I am to playing the game. I have a PC code, but need to wait for PSN to come back up to link it to my Steam [​IMG] Yes I'm cheap, get off my back!

Also, I hate hats. Pointless. Just gives away your position.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Wow that would be a first if it was free on the 360*. I did miss the advanced chambers as well.

*would be fans of super meat boy should note that it used a workaround in the Live setup to do it rather than straight up.

7. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    There is no crafting system within Portal 2.

Also, in both TF2 and Portal 2, you can get any item just by playing. People can craft/trade/buy things if they don't want to wait, but it isn't written anywhere that you can only buy/craft/trade.

I'll admit that in TF2 it's hella annoying to go on a server and to see people talking about trading items that don't even directly affect gameplay, but in Portal 2 that problem is not there in any shape or form.

8. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    With the price they are selling this for, a it of free DLC is highly welcome. I am still waiting until it is on a massive sale before buying it, though.

9. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I just want someone to do a "silent Wheatley" mod. Stephen Merchant starts off a bit funny, but then gets annoying quick as you realise he's just trying emulate his even more annoying, better known mate all way through the game. Valve please, next you want Ricky Gervais for something just don't, and especially don't get one of his cheap arse hangers on instead.

10. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    maybe the dlc also supports two player or do all levels support so? PSN has really annoyed many ps3 players and the pc version is 10gb.

11. yifan_lu

Member yifan_lu @yifanlu

United States
    This is why I love Valve.

12. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I was a little upset that the challenge rooms were not included in Portal2 like they were in Portal. I guess a free DLC is better than nothing.

13. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    about free dlc on 360, assassins creed brotherhood had free dlc through the xbox's regular system. not common but has been done.

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Awesome.

Can't wait for the DLC. I do wish Valve released a Portal 2 level editor with the ability to download and create levels. That would be even more awesome.

15. Warriorccc0

Newcomer Warriorccc0 Member

United States
    They're supposed to be releasing the SDK eventually.

16. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Indeed. I can't wait to see what people make, even though a ton of it's doomed to be shit.

17. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    *Eagerly waits for official Portal support within GMod*

18. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    Still need to get the game xD.
    But good news valve is staying to their roots by making DLC's free as usual [​IMG]

19. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    So does anybody know the reason as to why they're caring for so much about Portal 2 but won't care much about Half Life 2 ep 3 that was supposed to be out in 2007?

20. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    That's a good question but maybe they're planning on releasing it later on?

Besides Portal is a very successful franchise. Not that Half Life isn't but it's newer, know what I mean?

But whatever.