Portable system for school and games on the go.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Midna, Mar 5, 2009.

Mar 5, 2009
  1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    So I got a bit of money to burn. I'm looking for a portable system which could help me with school work at school (I got special permission) and on the bus, as well as serve as a good gaming computer. Preferably around 350 dollars US. I've considered the Pandora, and though that would be good for gaming and word processing wouldn't be to hard at school, I couldn't do much typing on the bus and it's kinda low powered. I've also been looking at netbooks, but It's not easy to play games on a bus using a keyboard. Any suggestions?

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    No clue man. But when I read the title I thought you meant a good console to play during class. If it was I would have suggested the micro with some pokemon. Micros are so easy to hide behind the person in front of you.

3. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    iPod Touch is the only thing I can think of. It's very open ended

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    umm...... a DS with DSO?

don't know how much low end EEEs or OLPCs are over there. not the best games, but will run some

5. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Hook up a wireless controller such as a Wiimote or a PSP/DS?

Easier to play i guess

6. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You won't find any LAPTOP (assuming that's what you mean, since you said 'for school AND gaming on the go') for that cheap, or any EEE that you can game on. Either raise your price range, or settle for just gaming in which case, go for an NDSLite and a good flashcart (SCDS1 would be nice).

Or you could go with a GBA Micro, or a PSP.

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    depends what he means by gaming, a cheap EEE running linux can play quite a few retro style games...... it won't be playing crysis or anything...... but yeah.

8. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Eee + emulators...you won't need a mouse for this and it's quite okay with everything up to N64 and you'll have many many games!

9. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Well, the Eees aren't exactly the best thing for gaming unless you're carrying a gamepad with you, but apart from that, I'd say they're perfect for school use and just in your price range.
    If you're going to type a lot, forget anything that doesn't have its own keyboard. That means you don't have that much of a choice, either go with an Eee or with a Pandora, it's up to you. I'd go with the Eee PC, it's the perfect size to take with you to school every day, and with a bit of practice typing works just fine on them. When it comes to creating spreadsheets, typing your homework, using maths applications and so on, I don't really think the Pandora is the best thing to use.

Well, there is a third option, which would be a 15" laptop for 350 bucks. A 15" laptop in that price range should still be able to at least emulate the PSX, if not even the N64, but seriously, don't buy one. 15" are way too big, heavy and a general pain in the ass in terms of portability. I'm typing on my 13" laptop right now, it's just as comfortable to use as a 15" laptop, since the keyboard size is almost the same, and it still just barely fits into a rucksack. You'd have to be nuts to carry anything bigger than that with you. But here's the catch: 13" laptops are quite a bite more expensive than 15" laptops in general, it'd be impossible to find any decent one for just $350...I have a Dell Vostro 1310 myself, which is one of the cheapest 13" notebooks around, and it's pretty thick and heavy for its kind. A 13" macbook is like, twice as flat as the Vostro 1310, but also twice as expensive.

10. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You guys are crazy, doing any kind of gaming on an EEE is ridiculous! The things are way too friggin' tiny to use as a keyboard interface, and too big to use like a controller, so unless he's going to carry a controller (360, PS3[if he gets bluetooth]) or elsewise with him, it's pretty silly of a choice).

For school work there's no problem with it, he can do all he needs to do(pretty much microsoft office, or the MAC/Linux equiv.), and play some older games, with a shitty small keyboard. :|

11. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    well I could play most N64 games quite good on the built in keyboard

12. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    [​IMG]

It's actually not hard to get a grip around it (was awkward to position due to camera) and works quite well. This is the 8.9" with the small keyboard

13. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Whoops, By "games", I mean emulation and stuff. Not Call of Duty.