Port Nsmb Ds models to Mario kart ds .

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by TheZoroark007, May 22, 2014.

1. TheZoroark007
    OP

TheZoroark007 MK7 CT creator

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    Does anybody knows how i can port a model from Nsmb ds and insert it as a driver in Mario Kart ds? I already tried it, but the model was much to big.So can you say me how to shrink it? And how can I use a .obj and insert it in Mario Kart Ds?

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What would be the point of this exactly..?

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Too big as in the relative scale of things or too big as in not enough memory? The former is easily sorted (scale is a staple of 3d modelling formats) but the latter is far harder to handle.

What sort of obj files do you have? Most people seem to do things from scratch and fiddle with a hex editor or grab an older version of some of the 3d programs (there were three if memory serves) and use the leaked SDK files to work with it. There are some nice viewers but no editors/creators for 3d modelling for use on the DS in commercial ROMs/with the NSMBD format really.

On top of all this you also have animation issues.

To that end porting models between unrelated games and using them as a focal point in a game is a reasonably hard hack. Most people are concerned more with tweaking existing models, animations and textures, or if they are adding new things then it is more static or decorative.

4. TheZoroark007
    OP

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    To big means: It takes the whole screen of the ds .You just see this.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    They probably made the models big on purpose because of the Mega Mushroom. The models are highly detailed when they are Mega'd, and the game just scales the models down to "normal size" when they aren't in Mega Mushroom mode. That could be why they appear so huge.

6. TheZoroark007
    OP

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    Ok.I maneged it to port Bowser Jr..All 1 Part models can be ported.But Dry Bowser is 2 Partet(Head and Body.How can I make it to a 1 Part model?