Hacking Port Cover For Hard Mod?

SnowBird

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In preparation to hard mod my 3DS (for NAND dumping/flashing) I went and looked up a couple tutorials on the web about it. something that struck me as odd was in the end of the tutorial they would leave the port (the one that they added to the outside of the 3ds for NAND access) uncovered. This seems weird to me because shouldn't there be concerns about ESD and the fact that you have connections directly to the motherboard now outside the console? So my question really is, is it a good idea to get something to cover that port on the 3DS or is this not necessary. Also, if this is a good idea, where would i be able to find a cover for this (I plan on using a standard 4 pin fan cable).

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always cover it with a piece of electrical tape if you can't find something to fit, but I wouldn't worry about it. Ports go uncovered all the time. Usually if they are covered it's just to keep dust out or make it look neater.

SnowBird

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something more recommended then a fan connector? I dont want to use a micro USB port because i know someone is going to think that it is actually for connecting VIA usb and then bad things will likely happen.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is there something more recommended then a fan connector? I dont want to use a micro USB port because i know someone is going to think that it is actually for connecting VIA usb and then bad things will likely happen.
yeah i dont suggest using a usb port, heard 2 stories so far of fried nand's when people have just plugged them into a normal USB cable, it depends where you put the port tbh, you can fit a mini jst port under the battery cover if your worried about it getting stuff stuck in it like this
PHOTO_20150305_015816.jpg

that way its always covered up unless you need it

Reactions: Suthek

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i dont suggest using a usb port, heard 2 stories so far of fried nand's when people have just plugged them into a normal USB cable, it depends where you put the port tbh, you can fit a mini jst port under the battery cover if your worried about it getting stuff stuck in it like this
PHOTO_20150305_015816.jpg

that way its always covered up unless you need it

How come that only seems to have 2 connectors? I am interested in putting a nand access port in a similar location

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How come that only seems to have 2 connectors? I am interested in putting a nand access port in a similar location
it has 4, there is just 2 holes in the plastic that are there to keep the connector plugged in secure, that make it look weird.....the 4 lines going down are the pins inside the connects, they aren't joined up or anything

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
it has 4, there is just 2 holes in the plastic that are there to keep the connector plugged in secure, that make it look weird.....the 4 lines going down are the pins inside the connects, they aren't joined up or anything

Oh I see, it's a male connector rather than a female one. I was thinking you'd usually have a female one in there, but I guess whatever fits best

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When you guys mention the USB port frying the board, that doesn't apply to this mod: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-xl-nand-access-via-usb-mod.363245/ does it? That chip effectively acts as a safety barrier, correct?
That has the SD card reader built in, and is the best way to do NAND mods. Most people don't do it that way though, because it's more work, and there's very little space to work with so you have to use a tiny MicroSD reader that will fit (and it also has to be able to read MMC). A switch is also required to be able to disconnect one of the pins from the SD card reader to allow the 3DS to boot correctly when the reader isn't in use.
It's designed to be used with a regular Micro USB, so you can use your phone charging cable, camera cable etc. A lot more convenient and safe:)

Jaitsu

Yet Another GBATemp Furry
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That has the SD card reader built in, and is the best way to do NAND mods. Most people don't do it that way though, because it's more work, and there's very little space to work with so you have to use a tiny MicroSD reader that will fit (and it also has to be able to read MMC). A switch is also required to be able to disconnect one of the pins from the SD card reader to allow the 3DS to boot correctly when the reader isn't in use.
It's designed to be used with a regular Micro USB, so you can use your phone charging cable, camera cable etc. A lot more convenient and safe:)

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing a hard-mod, and that definitely seems like it'd be worth the extra effort... even if my soldering skills could use some work. Oh well, at least the really tightly-spaced pins are on the reader, not on the board; on the board they seem pretty decently spaced and accessible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?