Professional Nintendo Hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post games proclaimed legendary or revolutionary that you dislike
For me it would be
All Nintendo and rare developed titles on the N64 (with the exception of star fox 64 and paper Mario)
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
What popular games do you dislike?
Edit: changing my stance
I hate all rareware and Nintendo developed titles on the N64 with the exception of paper Mario, star fox 64, and both Zelda games

Last edited by 64bitmodels,
Reactions: NoNAND

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you don’t like a game: Don’t play it. No problem at all.

Why bother telling about “hating” a game in public? After all nobody is forcing me to play anything – or to read about a game I dislike.

My answer to the question is: None.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you don’t like a game: Don’t play it. No problem at all.

Why bother telling about “hating” a game in public? After all nobody is forcing me to play anything – or to read about a game I dislike.

My answer to the question is: None.
Eh, I find it interesting to read which aspects of popular games people dislike. A lot of the time the criticism is fair and just something people can't get on with, and others it's a misunderstanding that can be discussed and lead to them enjoying the game a load. Just look at Disgaea 5 with me. I really didn't like it and had it sitting on my shelf for about a year because of my dislike for isometry, until my friend pointed out there was a camera option to make it feel like Fire Emblem with a normal grid.

So yeah, let the people talk I suppose. There's more to not liking a game than blind hatred.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why bother telling about “hating” a game in public?
Normally I would agree, and if the conversation is about a game, dropping in just to say you don't like it is a completely pointless and dick move, but here the OP specifically asked about games we dislike so naming them is not disruptive, it's adding to the conversation.

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty i tried it for the first time on the xbox 360 a few weeks ago. its got be one of the worst controls i have ever seen in a game, i couldnt get myself to play it, witch was too bad as the story did seem very intriguing

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think "hate" is too strong a word to use in this particular circumstance, why would I passionately dislike something as trivial as a video game? Nobody forces you to play shit you don't like, so there should be no reason to "hate" any.

But I definitely just plain don't like a lot of popular games.

While I don't hate FF7 per se, I definitely don't think it's the BE ALL END ALL BEST FF GAME EVER like a lot of people do, I barely find it in the top 5 FF at best.

I also don't like any of the modern 2D Mario games (anything after SNES really), basic 2D platformers like that IMO were stale by the end of the fifth gen, and I've rarely come across any made since that I would consider a game I enjoy, especially from the Mario series. I think at best the only 2D Mario game I've actually liked since Super Mario World was Mario Maker 2, and I only really liked it enough to finish the story and that was it.

Undertale is also a game I will never understand the wankfest for, it doesn't play well, the story tries too hard, and none of the characters are all that likable. Only good thing to come from Undertale is the music, some of the songs are pretty good.

I definitely don't like the RSE remakes, either, I think they took a great generation and butchered it with their shit babby mode additions.

And probably more, but I CBA to list any others

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Eh, I find it interesting to read which aspects of popular games people dislike. A lot of the time the criticism is fair and just something people can't get on with, and others it's a misunderstanding that can be discussed and lead to them enjoying the game a load. […]

So yeah, let the people talk I suppose. There's more to not liking a game than blind hatred.
Normally I would agree, and if the conversation is about a game, dropping in just to say you don't like it is a completely pointless and dick move, but here the OP specifically asked about games we dislike so naming them is not disruptive, it's adding to the conversation.
It’s most likely the strong word “hate” in the thread title… discussing things is fine. So I try my best:

I can’t name a single game. But there is an aspect about virtually all modern Nintendo games I don’t like – despite liking the games as such: Very low difficulty for completing the main objective of the game. If the player fails a few times they get invincible or the game will even play itself and count this as a win for the player.

The real difficulty in modern games is reaching 100% and/or maybe absurd achievements for “non-casual” players. What I dislike on this concept is that children are no longer trained to tolerate frustration and have staying power. I’ve virtually no idea how many times I tried “Tubular” in Super Mario World as a small child not yet trained in gaming. Maybe 1000 times. Or even more. I can’t describe the feeling when I finally succeeded.

They are oversaturated with games nowadays and very few will accept the challenge for 100%. “Hey I got Peach… NEXT GAME!

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s most likely the strong word “hate” in the thread title… discussing things is fine. So I try my best:

I can’t name a single game. But there is an aspect about virtually all modern Nintendo games I don’t like – despite liking the games as such: Very low difficulty for completing the main objective of the game. If the player fails a few times they get invincible or the game will even play itself and count this as a win for the player.
An interesting question is whether they're leading the charge or are reacting to changes in their playerbase. That is to say, are they innovating or are they simply reacting to kids no longer wanting to put in the time? Perhaps both? Either way, it's been a trend long in the making.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Mine personally, is Xenoblade Chronicles, everyone said it was really good, but I hated that game. The battle mechanics were really weird, and bad. The story was kind of weird setting up, and for some reason a lot of the Creatures were Op, so if you wanted to level up, you have to attack once, and run away, hoping they don't one hit you.

"Auto-battle" fighting mechanic was just bad, you have a roll button, but you have to get hit by the move? You could move around battle, but it didnt matter, cause you'd always get hit. I'm told by Chapter two or three, it will get better, but that's like more than two hours in man, if I play a game, I want to not wade through three hours of crap, just to get to the good stuff.

I know my friend, and a lot of people do like the game, so I don't shit on it too much.

I can’t name a single game. But there is an aspect about virtually all modern Nintendo games I don’t like – despite liking the games as such: Very low difficulty for completing the main objective of the game. If the player fails a few times they get invincible or the game will even play itself and count this as a win for the player.[/QUOTE
Have you tried Octo Expansion?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

For me the Question is not to be answered.

If I do not like a Game - I do not play.

is already a contradiction in itself.

To say "I love this Game." is easier and sounds really good.:)
To say "I hate this Game." .....is bad :)

In this times we live,where People have all PlayStation/Nintendo/Sega on ONE single HDD,Mom and Dad "cares" for Replenishment of games......
it is easy to say

I do not like this game
I hate this game
Next...

In times where many Users here grew up (includes me) where ONE Single Game costs "enough" and "no other sources were available" to get a Game,you have to reconsider every SINGLE GAME you buy.A simple "I hate this game" was just not an Option...:)

Of course,there are Games which have "tricky passages" where you maybe Think of "I xxxx this Game....."
Please imagine a Game like H.E.R.O today.Costs you "many" Money and you know for sure,this is the only game for the next 4-5 Months (simply because of "Mom and Dad have no money/give you no money").
How many People today honestly has the endurance for play the same Passage again and again for Months to get through ? :)
(Again,please imagine,this is your ONLY game for maybe 4-5 Months.)

Simple way: I hate this game and throw it in the corner.....but also no further play a Computer/Video Game for the next months.
Other Way: Play it and Enjoy it.:)

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free