Popular 3DS Theme site 3DSThem.es shuts down due to financial issues

upload_2017-12-9_18-13-3.png
Popular 3DS Theme site 3DSThem.es has recently shut down due to "financial difficulties". Any attempt to access the site now results in a 522 error, as seen above. The Themely repo on GitHub was also archived around the same time. I'd like to remind people that this does not mean that the themes are lost. Most of them are still available on the 3DSThem.es Archive. Given that 3DSThem.es has shut down, the Theme Browser in Themely will no longer function. This was really the only benefit of the closed-source version, so it is recommended that you switch to either the open-source fork of Themely by ihaveamac or Anemone3DS by astronautlevel. Don't fret, because another 3DS Theme site, Theme Plaza, exists. Now, let's have a moment of silence for Themely and 3DSThem.es... :cry:

:arrow:SOURCE: Reddit

(P.S.: Erman, 3DSThem.es's creator, is doing fine, so don't worry about him.)

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
  1. People get access to homebrew
  2. People are lazy and want others to make things for them
  3. People give in and make these things
  4. People demand a common area to get these files instead of spread out
  5. Optional:
    • Someone makes a great service but it costs money/has plenty of ads to support itself (or it has a Patreon)
    • People deny this service claiming either this person is profiting off of what should be free, or the service should be non-profit.
    • Service dies off
  6. Somebody makes a free service that is decent enough for every day use
  7. Service can't support itself and dies off
  8. Repeat steps 4-7

This. So much this.

Reactions: Deleted User

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Uhm... can anyone explain to me the "cost" of running a website? Since the hostprovider I have got unlimited bandwidth and costs like 2€ a month.

Reactions: DarkFlare69
D

Deleted User

Uhm... can anyone explain to me the "cost" of running a website? Since the hostprovider I have got unlimited bandwidth and costs like 2€ a month.
The cost of "hosting" is less than the cost of "running".
In terms of storage space, there are times when you have to upgrade. Take the torrent file of custom themes on the archive site. It is ~50GB. This implies that Erman must have been paying enough for at least 50GB of storage, plus whatever the splashes/badges/website took up (probably not that much).
Then you have to pay the staff/developers of the site (usually). I doubt you will get away with creating a secure, reliable user system for free, even if you don't create it yourself, you have to buy it from somewhere.

Then, you must consider the time it takes. "Time is money" and too much time without any results causes a lot of discouragement.

Last edited by ,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In terms of storage space, there are times when you have to upgrade. Take the torrent file of custom themes on the archive site. It is ~50GB. This implies that Erman must have been paying enough for at least 50GB of storage, plus whatever the splashes/badges/website took up (probably not that much).
Then you have to pay the staff/developers of the site (usually). I doubt you will get away with creating a secure, reliable user system for free, even if you don't create it yourself, you have to buy it from somewhere.

Then, you must consider the time it takes. "Time is money" and too much time without any results causes a lot of discouragement.
Okey, so volounteers help build a site. I can't code for shit but there is probably a wordpress for that. I got to say I gonna blame compression here that it's 50GB big. No way in hell a 3ds themes can take that much space as it is today. Thne the mp3s must be 320kbs or even FLAC. Since the 3DS got crappy speakers, it's no need for more bitrate than 128 vbr.
Storage is also dirt cheap, so I don't really understand this issue either.

And yes, I been in projects before that has been volunteer and no people active can make you discourage for sure. This doesn't however include the cost of hosting. A simple Google Ads would probably cover the yearly cost for the site.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
  1. People get access to homebrew
  2. People are lazy and want others to make things for them
  3. People give in and make these things
  4. People demand a common area to get these files instead of spread out
  5. Optional:
    • Someone makes a great service but it costs money/has plenty of ads to support itself (or it has a Patreon)
    • People deny this service claiming either this person is profiting off of what should be free, or the service should be non-profit.
    • Service dies off
  6. Somebody makes a free service that is decent enough for every day use
  7. Service can't support itself and dies off
  8. Repeat steps 4-7
Yes. So much yes. Excuse me while I grab my Notice of Meme Acquisition...

D

Deleted User

Okey, so volounteers help build a site. I can't code for shit but there is probably a wordpress for that. I got to say I gonna blame compression here that it's 50GB big. No way in hell a 3ds themes can take that much space as it is today. Thne the mp3s must be 320kbs or even FLAC. Since the 3DS got crappy speakers, it's no need for more bitrate than 128 vbr.
Storage is also dirt cheap, so I don't really understand this issue either.

And yes, I been in projects before that has been volunteer and no people active can make you discourage for sure. This doesn't however include the cost of hosting. A simple Google Ads would probably cover the yearly cost for the site.
Yes, these things are cheap, but look at it from the owner's perspective.
They probably look at the website and think "huh, look at this money I am spending. If I didn't spend this <insert dollar amount here> every month, I could save for a <insert object here> and get it in <insert time here>"

My high school human geography teacher once put it:
"I used to buy a $5 coffee from Starbucks everyday. One day, my student came to me and asked me how much my coffee costs each day. I answered 5 dollars, being honest. He then did some rough calculations, and came up with the number of $900 just spent on coffee each school year, if I didn't drink coffee on any other day. After that, I quit, and saved my money. After 2 years, I went to Africa to serve those in need, and I feel better than ever not drinking coffee anymore"
Obviously that is paraphrased a bit.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah we definitely need a theme database within our 3DS. I mean even the PS Vita/Henkaku has had that for a long time now.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

Damn it feels good to be a sysadmin/web dev. I pay 20€ a month for a 2 TB, unmetered box with an i7 and 16 GB of DDR3. I do all my own development and design, so I don't have anyone to pay. My site generates terabytes of data per month as well because I privately mirror full ROM sets, and I place torrents for them throughout the wild. The best part is that I don't support myself with ads, either. This crap's cheap if you know what you're doing. Hell, I could host the entirety of 3dsthem.es for free, and it honestly wouldn't impact me in the slightest. Anyone have the site source? If Erman doesn't want it anymore of course, heh.

Last edited by Joom,

Most-Wanted

3D OLED TV'S /o/
Trophies
XP
Country
This seems like Espionage ... and i really liked this site + the features, We are going backwards in the hacking world .. not forwards like we should be >_>

I would of been fine if they just flooded the website with ads, I don't care

D

Deleted User

The website owner erman sead malware on the 3ds was smart (during the whole unbanmii fiasco) after he made themely closed source,which drove everyone into fear mongering and suspicion.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: