?
  1. Game Boy Advance (AGB-001)

252 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-001, AGS-101)

512 vote(s)
    61.6%
  3. Game Boy Micro (OXY-001)

67 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 831 voter(s)
  1. Soulsilve2010

Soulsilve2010 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Original Game Boy Advance!Micro a close second just because it's cute.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    SP wins with the backlit screen.

BUT having modded original GBA with a AGS-101 screen into it, it turns into the ultimate GBA model!

:gba:

IanSkinner1982 likes this.
  3. IanSkinner1982

IanSkinner1982 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I only use the SP 'cause of the backlit screen. And because I don't have an original GBA.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Maybe I got one that was third-party, but I never had this issue. The adapter I had plugged into the charging port but had a headphone jack and a charging port.

5. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    The DS...Technically better (minus smaller screen area for GBA games) :nds:,
    but the GBA is in the heart!
    So sorry! :P :yaysp::gba::sp:

6. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Form-factor wise: the original
    Screen-wise: the micro
    Convenience-wise: the GBA SP

bubolechka likes this.
  7. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yea, it wouldnt have had the name it had lmao.
    also, as a guy who has never seen a GBA in real life, like ever, how big is an original model GBA?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

DS phat had a crappy screen and looked like your dad's PDA. It also had worse start and select placement and worse stylus placement, and it looked like your dad's PDA. Also, the DS lite actually sold, probably because it didnt look like your dad's PDA.
    Seriously though, the original DS's design i will never get over, it looks like a PDA. was nintendo smoking something when they came up with the design? they hated it too since it never came back after the DS lite launched. lmao

8. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Removed headphone jack, using dongle....Apple before Apple.

Anyway, stereo would be cool on SP, but as i noticed while playing it these past few days, the sound is just great! I guess because the way that GBA sound works one speaker is just enough. I get it that Stereo is better but GBA just doesn't have that many sounds that can make it more realistic than it already is.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I actually like it, it has a form unlike the Lite...lite is just....plain brick.
    I love Lite, but Phat is not that ugly imo.

9. 64bitmodels

United States
    I like plain brick :)
    Seriously though, DS lite is pretty slim. DS phat is probably the only DS console ive seen that doesnt look good when closed
    I like the DS lite looking like that, a boring rectangle when its closed, a cool innovative portable video game console when opened.
    its just right for me :yaynds:

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I never actually had use stereo sound due to owning a GBA SP. I only hear it when I used emulators. Is weird to me that systems do have stereo output but only if you use headphones like the Megadrive. Why not just have two speakers in the GBA?

If i understand correctly, the sound is produced by the main CPU chip of the system. It doesn't have a dedicated sound chip like the Snes SPC 700, or would probably be even better if it had a co-processing chip like the Megadrive with the YM2612, TI SN76489, tied to the Zilog Z80 Chip.

Because of this, some devs complained about having to balance the music with the rest of the game.

upload_2020-6-9_20-17-47.png

Games are often criticized for music, especially the "port" of popular games from snes to the system. rom patches exist to "fix" those ports. :ninja:

MetoMeto likes this.
  11. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Where is the option for 3DS? :sp:

12. 64bitmodels

United States
    People often criticize the GBA for having crunchy samples and that always makes me wonder- if that's the case, why don't GBA emulators have a sound filter like a gaussian filter to clean up the crunchiness of the samples? Same thing for Sega Genesis and MAME, if people hate the samples so much, just filter them!

13. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I've owned every GBA model at some point, and the one I prefer is definitely the SP AGS 101, however my favorite one doesn't exist, other than a prototype maybe. I'm not young anymore and I don't enjoy playing on tiny screens, and back then my favorite DS was the DSiXL obviously. My only regret: It didn't have the GBA slot. I'm sure GBA games would have benefited tremendously by having a larger screen ( albeit with small borders on the DSiXL, but still quite larger ) and with the improved, lag free XL screen.Now I remember there were some pictures out there of a DS lite XL, but sadly it was never released as the DSi was a thing already at the time and they decided to go with the DSiXL instead. What a shame ! That would have been my favorite GBA:D

Last edited by Arm73, Jun 10, 2020
  14. 64bitmodels

United States
    hey, the 3ds XL models exist now, so you can live out your childhood dream of playing these on a bigger screen! :lol:

Arm73 likes this.
  15. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    So funny to see people talk about the headphone jack, while phones are trying to get rid of them.

MetoMeto likes this.
  16. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    For it's form-factor: Original GBA (still have mine)
    For it's portability: SP variant (don't -yet- have one)
    For it's big games catalogue: NDS Lite (also don't -still- have one)

I'm not interested on those so-called "special versions" as I can make one myself.

17. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Hey, never thought about that, good point. Problem is I wasn't a child then and I'm even older now and I ditched portables altogether, even the switch is too small for me ! But I still play all my favorite games via emulation nowadays on my 32" curved PC monitor. As I get older, bigger becomes better :P

64bitmodels likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Not sure honestly. The GBA can play Streamed audio which if you use a filter on them, may be bad idea. Should probably be part of the game's sound driver to just do better. Still, I tried using different filter options in snes or megadrive emulators. It doesn't seem to much for the music, only for sound effects. Most of the music isn't changed that I noticed. Those system used sound effects by one channel in the chips that produce the sound. :ninja:

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    What are you talking about Willis?

I still have my first Gameboy, the 1989 model with Tetris. Heck I still have my Gameboy Color, my GBA and my Gameboy SP.

The Gameboy Color is the Pikachu edition with Pokemon Yellow. I can't remember what my first GBA game was, I think it was Golden Sun?

The GBA has great music, most of the crappy music comes from ports that didn't use the GBA music chip well.

E-Reader (GBA) - Title Main Music

Last edited by raxadian, Jun 10, 2020
    Charli likes this.
  20. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    PDA wannabe > Apple product wannabe.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Advance, choice, model