Poll: Your Game Boy Advance model of choice?

logo.png

Launching all the way back in 2001, the Game Boy Advance was the first radical redesign in the Game Boy line of systems with its move to a horizontal layout. Throughout its nearly 10 year lifespan we also saw multiple redesigns and revisions of the hardware.

It infamously launched with a non-backlit screen meaning it was notorious for being difficult to play in low light situations. This was remedied by third party add-ons, most famously the Afterburner and was later addressed by Nintendo with the launch of the Game Boy Advance SP which featured a front-lit display.

It was also of course the system that made GBAtemp possible and the reason we're here today thanks to a boom in piracy when an abundance of affordable and easy-to-use flash carts flooded the markets.

The GBA saw three major hardware revisions with the original, the SP and the Micro.

The Original Game Boy Advance

gba.png

The original GBA launched on March 21 2001 in Japan and has sold over 81 million units to date. It's radical redesign in form factor sported a horizontal layout, shoulder buttons and 240×160px TFT LCD.

Games shipped on game paks that were roughly half the height of the original Game Boy cartridges and could hold up to 32MB of data (with Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories shipping on this size cartridge).

Game Boy Advance SP

gba-sp-silver.png

The Game Boy Advance launched in 2003 and saw yet another change to the form factor of the handheld. It featured a clam shell design which enabled the screen to be protected when not in use, more importantly, the display featured a front-lit panel which enabled play in any lighting condition.

In terms of specs the system stayed the same but Nintendo added a rechargeable lithium ion battery and opted to remove the headphone jack (showing courage 13 years before Apple). They sold a separate adaptor for 3.5mm headphones that plugged into the multipurpose charging port. This also meant you couldn't charge the system and use headphones at the same time.

In late 2005 Nintendo released a revised version of the GBA SP (AGS-101) of which the major difference was the addition of a proper backlit and much brighter screen.

Game Boy Advance Micro

gba-micro.png

In 2005 Nintendo released the final GBA redesign in the form of the Game Boy Advance Micro. A miniature version of the system barely any bigger than the game paks themselves. Weighing in at just 80g the system sported a rechargeable battery and backlit display.

The screen was of course much smaller though it retained pixel resolution meaning games didn't look squashed or distorted. Interestingly enough for the size it also saw the return of the headphone jack and also featured removable, customisable face plates. Though it did lose backwards compatibility with legacy Game Boy cartridges.

games.jpg

What was your preferred model of the Game Boy Advance?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally for me, as much as I found the original GBA the comfier option for longer play sessions, I can't deny the gorgeous design of the SP. It's sleek appearance and clam-shell design was unexpected from Nintendo at the time, with the front lit screen only sweetening the deal. It was also easier to carry out and about and to college etc. So much of my play time was done on the SP. :yaysp:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here's my system (a Majora's Mask gba sp backlit w/ an everdrive gba):

20200609_072830_Burst01.jpg
20200609_072923_HDR.jpg
20200609_073045_HDR.jpg
20200609_073203_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200609_072830_Burst01.jpg
    20200609_072830_Burst01.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 396
Reactions: shaunj66

ThommyDude

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I still have my see-through classic GBA (like the one pictured in the OP) and it is by far my favourite model.
I never owned a SP myself but a friend of mine did and we switched quite often, but I never really liked how the square shape felt in my hands, it was uncomfortable to hold for a longer period of time.
Also, I'm not ever sure I've ever SEEN a micro in real life, so I have no opinion on that one ‍♂️
So I'm definitely going with the classic!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also own a Japanese gba, but it's not backlit. I tried playing it the other day, and I couldn't see what was going on. I don't know how I played a game like that. I had a non backlit sp, and I felt the same way. backlit or I just can't play it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The og GBA with the backlight mod.
There leave it or take it.

That's a modded console not an official one.

I still have my see-through classic GBA (like the one pictured in the OP) and it is by far my favourite model.
I never owned a SP myself but a friend of mine did and we switched quite often, but I never really liked how the square shape felt in my hands, it was uncomfortable to hold for a longer period of time.
Also, I'm not ever sure I've ever SEEN a micro in real life, so I have no opinion on that one ‍♂️
So I'm definitely going with the classic!

Ten years ago stores were STILL trying to get rid of them.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My favourite GBA back in the days was a PSP.

On a more serious note, I'd always prefer the Advance SP. I remember that when I was a kid I bought an original GBA at a store and returned it one day later just to spend €30 more on an Advance SP. And I couldn't have been happier about it.

Even though I am also looking forward to mod an original GBA that I now happen to own, I feel bad about having to tear out an SP screen to do it. And I actually like the smaller form factor of the GBA SP. That being said I'm just interested in the process of modding a GBA rather than thinking a modded GBA is superior to an SP. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Axido,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA SP of course, easy choice, no second doubts. :)

Backlight screen built in, rechargeable battery, folding screen for protection and portablilty, and it plays the older gameboy games. Gameboy Micro can't play those games, and without mod the original can't use backlight. Would be nice if any onf them had stereo sound so you don't need headphones. :ninja:

Got the memories when my brother got his original GBA with Konami Krazy Racers and Tony Hawk Pro skater 2. Got my GBA SP christmas 2004 with Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories and Mega Man Battle Network 4 Blue Moon. I just wanted donkey kong Country to replace the one I had on Gameboy Color since it seemed better. :blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...