Gaming [Poll] Will you buy a Z Ring for Pokémon Sun and Moon?

Will You Buy a Z Ring

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Id never waste my money

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I have to have it!

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How about the infra red port on the 3DS? I think it'll utilize that seeing the tiny black thing in front of the ring.

I will not buy this, it looks like a cheap piece of sheit. :)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see the same thing that lets you see passerbys in your X and Y work for this thing(wifi). It says something about syncing, so you just verify "is this your ring?" in settings(if that), and when a move of a type is used, a super tiny signal is sent to the ring, bam vibration.

Wifi is just a small part of the radio section of the electromagnetic spectrum (meaning light). As the ring doesn't need security, it's cheap enough to use a small radio receiver that looks for a particular signal.

Last edited by osaka35,

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
if it don't get over priced and I have money, why not?:B
It's like these supers entai toys but with more technology (???) haha
I wonder if there are an western logo for tis already? I saw preorder stuff but only show kids posing like ben10 (?)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Wifi is just a small part of the radio spectrum of light,
radio isn't light D: light can't penetrate walls

anyway, i am more thinking about the device got a mic that listens to specific frequencies played when you activate the effect...

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
radio isn't light D: light can't penetrate walls

anyway, i am more thinking about the device got a mic that listens to specific frequencies played when you activate the effect...
visible light can't :P but visible light is part of the same thing that radio is. the electromagnetic spectrum. You can only see the visible part, but what you can't see of the light spectrum usually consist of a lot more (like radio, infra-red, ultra-violet, x-ray, etc). We use light to describe the whole thing, as well as the small part that we can see with our eyes (visible light), so it can get confusing.

Wifi is just an agreed upon standard that uses the radio section of the light spectrum. That whole 2.4ghz and 5ghz thing is actually just telling you exactly which section.

Last edited by osaka35, , Reason: grammar

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could see the same thing that lets you see passerbys in your X and Y work for this thing(wifi). It says something about syncing, so you just verify "is this your ring?" in settings(if that), and when a move of a type is used, a super tiny signal is sent to the ring, bam vibration.

Wifi is just a small part of the radio section of the electromagnetic spectrum (meaning light). As the ring doesn't need security, it's cheap enough to use a small radio receiver that looks for a particular signal.
In that case you just use RF, not WiFi. Much cheaper.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case you just use RF, not WiFi. Much cheaper.
That's what I was thinking. A cheap RF receiver should be able to receive a wifi signal, and to be honest, I don't really know what kind of signals the 3ds is capable of sending beyond wifi and infrared. The "syncing" thing is the only thing that makes me question that setup.

Last edited by osaka35,

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's what I was thinking. An RF receiver should be able to receive a wifi signal, and to be honest, I don't really know what kind of signals the 3ds is capable of sending. The "syncing" thing is the only thing that makes me question that setup.
RF is not WiFi compatible, completely different bandwidths ;) The O3DS uses a pretty crappy 2.4GHz b/g WiFi antenna (not even n? C'mon Nintendo...). The N3DS supposedly has a better chip (probably supporting n).

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RF is not WiFi compatible, completely different bandwidths ;) The O3DS uses a pretty crappy 2.4GHz b/g WiFi antenna (not even n? C'mon Nintendo...). The N3DS supposedly has a better chip (probably supporting n).
oh yeah, there are regulations about such things. I mean wifi and bluetooth are just specialized RF, so it's just not done because of interference or power requirements or something? To be honest, I'm completely out of my depths when it comes to regulations and legal restrictions and licensing and the like, I just know the sciency parts.

Last edited by osaka35,

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
All the Z Ring Crystals for people that might want to know, looks like they will be random blind bags to the physical ones

Attachments

• 81ZxpLV63yL._SL1500_.jpg
    81ZxpLV63yL._SL1500_.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: osaka35

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Someone here mentioned it might respond to the sound of the 3DS. seems the simplest solution. Sure it won't work if you have the sound turned off, but with no sound it kinda defeats the purpose of the Z moves0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.