Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any backwards compatibility on this thing, like what the Wii had with GameCube games (or like the Wii U had with Wii games)? Digital releases, obviously, since there's no disc tray.

Are there any R2 and L2 buttons, or L3 and R3 (pushing down on them)?

Does it even have a touch screen? Because they failed to show in the video anyone actually touching it and interacting with something on the screen.

Sounds to me like how they failed to communicate with the "Wii U" that you need the external micro-console (where the discs are inserted and where the rendering actually occurs). People thought that the entire console was just the controller... Does that charging station have a GPU inside that would be required to run something like "Skyrim", and it just streams it to the portable version, or is it rendered locally on the device itself?
There are L and R triggers on the dual controllers (when combined). The other controller has them too.
Its pretty obvious that the station doesn't stream to the screen. It is emphasized in the places that the switch was used in. You're obviously not going to be able to stream to a plane.

Reactions: Deleted User

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Nintendo will ever release controllers with different button layouts or features to slide onto the console. I also wonder if it would even be worth it, price and game compatibility considered.
Fingers crossed on Wiimote support. Those tiny controllers seem almost unbearable (I have a small knockoff wiimote and it's ok)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm guessing the tiny controllers are just bluetooth devices. Bluetooth now days is quite power efficent so our oldtech probably will work fine with it. I'm more curious about the OS. Might it just be a custom Android on it? Unity seem to be onboard already for it.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized a small drawback. For houselholds with multiple kids who want to play together, they'll have to decide who's switch to plug in and whose game to to play. I guess thats not that bad though, it's not something hard to work out in any way.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks very promising. Price, battery life, and game selection will determine it's fate. I like sports games on the go, so I'll be interested to see how Madden will look on it. Now if Konami decided to grace us with another MLB Pro Powers game, it would be a "day one" buy for me.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My thoughts on it immediately turned towards the 3DS and basically the future of any sort of successor to it

I imagine if this takes off we won't see a new handheld for some time (which isn't a bad thing)

I honestly think it is a great and well thought out concept this time round. I'll reserve my full judgement till I can actually try it but seems very promising

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It seems to be a hardware solution to a problem (game portabliltiy) that is better solved with software.
It's a decent portable in an era when portable consoles dont do well, and a home conosle that is already beaten in performance by existing home conosles.

The market for playing games on a tablet screen with tiny controllers isnt very substantial. Most people would far rather play on a TV with a full controller when available, and just use what they have (phone/tablet) when they're out and about.

I own a wiiu and 3ds XL as I love nintendo games, but I dont see this doing well. The piece of plastic that covers the tablet screen when docked just screams 'we couldnt think of anything to do with this'.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, gaming communities (which are not too technical) seem to be hyped, but tech communities laugh at the thing already(because they don't fall for the hype and examine the thing in detail). Here on gtatemp, a place mainly for Nintendo handheld fans, it is obvious what most will pick at the poll... Don't get me wrong, i am a Nintendo handheld fan as well, though the 3DS wasn't that great to be honest, in comparison to the original DS. And the 3D was indeed a gimmick, if it was so succesful Nintendo would have kept it.

In my opinion, now we have yet another gimmick. The trailer seems cool, but reality will be much worse. Make no mistake, those weren't real games running on the system you saw, those were edited scenes...

When i heard about the NX, i was very hyped because i was expecting them to release an upgraded Wii U, with the tablet sold separately and being able to receive the same cartiridges as the main console to play on the go at a lower detail level. That would have made the most sense, and it would be quite feasible with the tech we have now, if they had chosen to go the AMD route. AMD will have ARM apus very soon, and those could be changed for jaguar-based apus for the main dock, thus making the NX competitive with the PS4Pro on the home front while retaining a handheld option. They could just include both executables in the same cartiridge. With some creative libraries, this would have been totally possible.

It seems Nvidia was DESPERATE to get the sale (initial rumours indicated Nintendo would go the AMD route), so they sold their Tegra to Nintendo at a better price(near cost) + offered to make all the libraries themselves (as we can see from their blogpost). Nintendo being the greedy bstards they are, couldn't say no to this, and the result will be another failed project, the Wii U Version 2.0 .

Why?

1) It will cost near the other home consoles, while being quite behind in terms of power. This is a huge deal. In the current market (which is already hard for consoles in general and favours general purpose devices more), people want to get the best bang for their buck. If you show them a Nintendo console which costs the same amount and has similary priced games, but all the ports are of lower quality and the only exclusives are Mario and Zelda(which looks like a fail to me, btw, not hyped at all, seems quite empty for such an open world), people will prefer to get the PS4Pro or the Scorpio.

2) It will totally lose the handheld market. People bought handhelds because they were cheap, had cheap games, lasted long on battery, and were kid friendly. This is not kid friendly, this will be easy to break, ruin the screen, or lose accesories. And it is too expensive for that. Parents will buy cheap chinese tablets for their kids to play Mario runner on. They won't pay 300+60 for the console and a single game, only to see it broken by their 10 year old kid a day later. Forget about it. Not to mention that this is too big for kids. And it doesn't really fit your pocket.

3) People seem to freak out about Skyrim on the go. I did initially too. But having read some insider info yesterday, especially regarding rumoured memory bandwidth, it seems the Switch is 1/3 the power of the Xbox One. Which positions it around 2x the power of the Wii U. It seems the Skyrim version they showcased IS the Special Edition(remaster), BUT with the effects significantly reduced(that is why i initially thought it was the normal edition). While games will still be portable on it, i don't think most devs will bother, unless it achieves a huge fanbase, which seems unlikely due to its price. It will create another chicken and egg problem, devs won't create games because there won't be a big install base and players won't buy it because there won't be enough games.

DEFINITELY NOT A DAY 1 PURCHASE. Remember, people were hyped for the Wii U too initially, and initial sales were quite strong. Look how that turned out. Don't fall for the hype.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DEFINITELY NOT A DAY 1 PURCHASE. Remember, people were hyped for the Wii U too initially, and initial sales were quite strong. Look how that turned out. Don't fall for the hype.

The thing that worries me the most on the tech side is the rumour that the portable battery mode will be much weaker than the dedicated electric mode. People have been citing a noticeable drop in frames during the announce video.

I hope it's not as exaggerated as people imply.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans