Homebrew [Poll] Should we make new users either view a info thread and/or take an aptitude test before entry?

Should we make new users either view a info thread or take an aptitude test before entry?

• Yes

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • No, i like noob threads

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Stupid idea

Votes: 28 28.9%

• Total voters

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the speed the mods do anything around here the thread will be moved to the right location round about Christmas time.
One of the GBATemp rules is to respect moderators...I wouldn't let good ol' p1ngpong see that post, if I were you.

Anyway, if you're going to implement a system like this to prevent noobs from spamming the forum with the same questions on an hourly basis, you'll need stricter punishments. I'm in favor of a suspension for not following imposed guidelines, and an instant ban to all repeat offenders. Did I mention a warning anywhere in that scenario? No, I didn't.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
It might be impractical to add to a forum, but one time I asked a question on a Q&A site, and the first thing it did was show related questions, and let me create a new one if none of those had answers that answered my question.

Giving constructive criticism =/= insulting moderators
Constructive criticism has less exaggeration.

Reactions: NEP and porkiewpyne
Trophies
XP
Just spitballing here, but this might be something of an idea:

Users with less than (for example) 100 posts, should be required to take an extra step before posting a thread. Before they can start writing, they will be presented with a FAQ list, and will be told that if what they post is directly answered by the list, they will get a warning point and the thread will be removed. If they gather enough warning points, they'll be suspended.
This also means other users shouldn't respond to these threads.

This is of course a flawed system, but something you can build upon! A test is really a bit too much.

EDIT: piterayo proposed this already in page 2 I see.

Last edited by Deleted member 387460,
Reactions: piterayo

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giving constructive criticism =/= insulting moderators
It certainly didn't come off as constructive criticism. But that's okay, as I didn't take offense; I was simply warning that a moderator might not like that kind of thing being said about them. And the fact that it explicitly says not to disrespect moderators in the rules gives them the right to act on their spite.

EDIT: But, this is off topic.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It certainly didn't come off as constructive criticism. But that's okay, as I didn't take offense; I was simply warning that a moderator might not like that kind of thing being said about them. And the fact that it explicitly says not to disrespect moderators in the rules gives them the right to act on their spite.

EDIT: But, this is off topic.
There was absolutely nothing said in his post that could be interpreted as insulting. (Ex. Good for nothing mods, mods are the sux0rs, mods have no life, etc)

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was absolutely nothing said in his post that could be interpreted as insulting. (Ex. Good for nothing mods, mods are the sux0rs, mods have no life, etc)
Well, that's all fine and well. But to me? It came off as disrespectful. But who the Hell cares? I'm basically a nobody on this forum, much less a moderator; what does and doesn't come off as insulting to me means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you it would appear a number of gbatemp members have no sense of humour. Plus in the past I have said a lot worse about the mods without getting into trouble and then I was being rude unlike this time.

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need to do like they do on that iso site. Hire more moderators and make it so that threads have to be viewed by mods before they can be posted. Replies shouldn't have to be moderated, but a lot of these threads can be closed with a quick google search.

Reactions: AmandaRose

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the best solution is for the more popular topics like 3ds homebrew/cfw and maybe Wii u hacking to have a specific section for people under and over 100 posts. If people want to only see more advanced questions they can use that section and you can avoid noob threads at your disecretion while still allowing them to ask questions for anyone willing to answer.

Reactions: Seriel

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We need to do like they do on that iso site. Hire more moderators and make it so that threads have to be viewed by mods before they can be posted. Replies shouldn't have to be moderated, but a lot of these threads can be closed with a quick google search.
Thats exactly what I said on page 1 lol

Reactions: Returnofganon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's not very good though.